Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Food safe glue followup

After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and asked.
They replied with a detailed message. Essentially, they said that while
they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already in use in
Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. They go on to say it is
completely non-toxic after curing. The only caveat is that if subjected to
temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may lead to joint failure
once cooled.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and
asked. They replied with a detailed message. Essentially, they said that
while they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already in
use in Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. They go on to
say it is completely non-toxic after curing. The only caveat is that if
subjected to temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may lead to
joint failure once cooled.

Ed

Which one of the Gorilla Brand glues are you talking about?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and
asked. They replied with a detailed message. Essentially, they said that
while they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already
in use in Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. They go on
to say it is completely non-toxic after curing. The only caveat is that
if subjected to temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may
lead to joint failure once cooled.

Ed

Which one of the Gorilla Brand glues are you talking about?

The standard Gorilla Glue and the fast cure, not the super glue, or the wood
glue.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 12, 2:52*pm, "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and
asked. They replied with a detailed message. *Essentially, they said that
while they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already
in use in Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. *They go on
to say it is completely non-toxic after curing. *The only caveat is that
if subjected to temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may
lead to joint failure once cooled.

Ed

Which one of the Gorilla Brand glues are you talking about?

The standard Gorilla Glue and the fast cure, not the super glue, or the wood
glue.

That would be the polyurethane, I presume...

There are similar urethane glues that are FDA approved for indirect
contact; I'd no qualms w/ any of them.

I didn't see the earlier thread so not sure what was indicated, but
the Type-I and Type-II water-resistant glues such as Titebond II and
III are also on the approved list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, polyurethane glue. I think the significant factor in the previous
discussion was water*proof*. I don't trust Titebond (type 1, 2, or 3) to go
through the dishwasher.

Ed

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 12, 3:45*pm, "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
Yes, polyurethane glue. *I think the significant factor in the previous
discussion was water*proof*. *I don't trust Titebond (type 1, 2, or 3) to go
through the dishwasher.

No, even ANSI Type I (Titebond "III") isn't rated for extreme
immersion. (It's easy to get cornfoozed between the numbers as the
Type I test Standard is the more severe while Titebond introduced
their Type II before Type III, I being implicitly already taken by the
existing "yellow" woodworkers glue)

I'd not count too much on the urethanes for long-term survival
dishwasher use but they've a better chance and should last somewhat
longer. If it's only a breadboard or somesuch w/o a lot of heavy
effort in the construction, sure. Fancy multi-blank turned salad
bowls or somesuch, I'd hate to risk the effort.

all imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ..., of course...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

Yes, polyurethane glue. I think the significant factor in the previous
discussion was water*proof*. I don't trust Titebond (type 1, 2, or 3) to
go through the dishwasher.

Ed

Ed

I really don't think I would trust any wood to go through the dish washer.
It is bound to swell, shrink, and eventually split. the glue will probably
be only 1 of the problems going on inside a dishwasher.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
Yes, polyurethane glue. I think the significant factor in the previous
discussion was water*proof*. I don't trust Titebond (type 1, 2, or 3) to
go
through the dishwasher.

No, even ANSI Type I (Titebond "III") isn't rated for extreme
immersion. (It's easy to get cornfoozed between the numbers as the
Type I test Standard is the more severe while Titebond introduced
their Type II before Type III, I being implicitly already taken by the
existing "yellow" woodworkers glue)

No kidding, the test never mentions Water Proof in the body of the
description of the test, only in the title. Talk about deceptive claims.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:27:03 -0500, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and asked.
They replied with a detailed message. Essentially, they said that while
they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already in use in
Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. They go on to say it is
completely non-toxic after curing. The only caveat is that if subjected to
temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may lead to joint failure
once cooled.

Ed

While not a test for being "non-toxic," I look at the list of
ingrediants and look for any toxic elements. Some glues contain
arsenic. Of course, burning a non-toxic compound yields all sorts of
complex compounds--which might kill a pet bird or make a human sick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

Yes, polyurethane glue. I think the significant factor in the previous
discussion was water*proof*. I don't trust Titebond (type 1, 2, or 3) to
go through the dishwasher.

Ed

I really don't think I would trust any wood to go through the dish washer.
It is bound to swell, shrink, and eventually split. the glue will
probably be only 1 of the problems going on inside a dishwasher.

I'll buy that. But in my experience, woodworkers don't load all the
dishwashers in the world. I'm going to assume the worst and go for the best
glue going. (grin)

I've used Gorilla glue for a couple small boats I've made. The glue joints
never fail. The paint does and then the wood does but that glue will hold
those broken pieces of wood together forever.

I wouldn't use it for every job but where I expect immersion in water, it is
generally my choice. It's good to know that it is safe for kitchen use.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

LOL... I use cedar boards for cooking salmon now and then (they don't get
so hot they burn and not glued up pieces) but I can't imagine making a glued
up baking dish. The only times I could imagine a glued up piece being at
212F (hmmm... what's significant about that number?) would be a glued up
piece as a spoon used to stir something on a stove, or maybe as a rack in a
boil pot or a steamer.

I'm sure there was some test requirement that produces these results. I
just can't imagine (me at least) subjecting things to the extremes lots of
these tests go to. I don't know, maybe there isn't a lick of common sense
left in the world.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
LOL... I use cedar boards for cooking salmon now and then (they don't get
so hot they burn and not glued up pieces) but I can't imagine making a
glued up baking dish. The only times I could imagine a glued up piece
being at 212F (hmmm... what's significant about that number?) ...

Glue chemistry is a bit more interesting than that (not that I know all that
much about it). PVAs polymerize as they cure, independently of simply losing
moisture, forming longer chains of, ummm, polymers. Adding water to cured
glue doesn't "dissolve" those chains. Steaming the wood, however, still has
the effect that steaming wood always had. I wonder why I never thought to
remodel the spoon handles though...

(Regarding a past conversation about gluing one side or both sides, I just
read my glue bottle. Titebond says to "Apply a heavy spread of glue to
surface and clamp". I always just put glue on the surface, but let the
squeeze out snot up the clamp. It also doesn't say one side or both
sides.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

No, well .... anybody who puts wooden cooking utensils into a dishwasher
deserves a spanking i.m.o. anyway. Brief immersion in hand-hot soapy
water is one thing, the extremes of the dishwasher environment are
something else entirely. In fact I'd trust few if any woods nor finishes
to stand up to that abuse for very long in any event. My sister-in-law's
knife handles bear witness to what I'm saying. A sorry warped, twisted,
buckled and clattering (e.g. loose rivets) mess. shudders

I agree with you... but...

I bought my wife a knife set with wood handles (Chicago Cutlery) shortly
after we were married (1975) I recently retired and started doing
things like emptying the dishwasher which I never did before and to my
horror, I found she was putting these superb knives with wooden handles
in the washer. Of course I complained about it and she said she has
always done it with no ill effects. There have been no ill effects, the
handles never had finish on them but they are in great shape after I
guess 32 + years. No warpage, no loose rivets, etc. I have no idea
what type of wood it is either, and I still shudder to think about
putting anything wood in the dishwasher but had to mention this.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

I have no idea what type of wood it is

Walnut.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought my wife a knife set with wood handles (Chicago Cutlery) shortly
after we were married (1975) I recently retired and started doing
things like emptying the dishwasher which I never did before and to my
horror, I found she was putting these superb knives with wooden handles
in the washer. Of course I complained about it and she said she has
always done it with no ill effects. There have been no ill effects, the
handles never had finish on them but they are in great shape after I
guess 32 + years. No warpage, no loose rivets, etc. I have no idea
what type of wood it is either, and I still shudder to think about
putting anything wood in the dishwasher but had to mention this.

I hand clean our knives just because they seems to get dinged up in the
washer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:59:22 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

I bought my wife a knife set with wood handles (Chicago Cutlery) shortly
after we were married (1975) I recently retired and started doing
things like emptying the dishwasher which I never did before and to my
horror, I found she was putting these superb knives with wooden handles
in the washer. Of course I complained about it and she said she has
always done it with no ill effects.

Same story, same knives, but purchased about 5 years earlier. They seem
to be indestructible.

When I use one, I rinse it off by hand :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Same story, same knives, but purchased about 5 years earlier. They seem
to be indestructible.

When I use one, I rinse it off by hand :-).

I saw a show in which the chef kept a pot of boiling water constantly on
the stove with a strainer basket. When he cut meat, he would set the
knife in the boiling water for a short time, before wiping it and
replacing it in the rack.

If you're going to hand wash after meat, make sure you clean with an
antimicrobial soap.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

I have no idea what type of wood it is

Walnut.

I think you're right, but whatever, this knife set has been through the
mill for more than 35 years. Not too much has survived all these years.

We bought a 100 year old round oak table at a house auction that I
refinished and it seats 12 with all the boards in. Wife paid $100 for
that which I complained about... boy was I dumb...

We bought a used set of Sears oak bedroom furniture from a guy that was
obviously and admittedly selling while his recent X was at work, still
in good shape...
and all my early 50's Rockwell Delta big iron stationary tools, in about
brand new condition (worlds biggest gloat, everyone would hate me if I
were to tell that tale). Not much else I can think of is still around,
other than us, and we are starting to wear around the edges...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:54:50 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

If you're going to hand wash after meat, make sure you clean with an
antimicrobial soap.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! All that stuff does is breed stronger bacteria. It
should be taken off the market.

Besides, I was 9 or 10 before antibiotics became available and I drank
water out of the Ohio River before they cleaned it up. My immune system
hasn't yet seen a digestive system bug it couldn't lick with one hand
tied behind its back :-).

BTW, when the antibiotics (penicillin) did come out, I was allergic to it.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
If you're going to hand wash after meat, make sure you clean with an
antimicrobial soap.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! All that stuff does is breed stronger bacteria. It
should be taken off the market.

Ok, forget I wrote "antimicrobial soap."

If you're going to hand wash cutting knives after meat, make sure you
clean them with something that will adequately disinfect them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am trying to fix coffee maker basket for 30 cup coffee maker.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 9:42:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I am trying to fix coffee maker basket for 30 cup coffee maker.

Are you stating a fact or asking for help?

Assuming there's a question in there someplace...

Metal or plastic?

How is it broken?

Perhaps a picture would help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:24:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 10:16:57 AM UTC-4, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On Jul 23, 2018, wrote
(in ):

I am trying to fix coffee maker basket for 30 cup coffee maker.

Coffeemaker baskets are usually made of polypropylene resin, which is a
thermoplastic. I bet the only way to fix the basket is to heat-weld the
cracked areas. Having some extra polypropylene stock to melt into the crack
may help.

Joe Gwinn

He could make a new one from corrugated plastic. All he needs is the
right (and smaller) forms. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-rokeHgwY

My daughter has had good luck with various
customer service departments in recent years -
- receiving a free replacement part, on more-than-one occasion ;
and even getting a replacement appliance in one case -
just for asking nicely and explaining things honestly.
I recently received -free- 2 wheel assemblies for a piece of
luggage - just for asking nicely and sending a photo of the
shredded one. I really only needed 1 wheel
unfortunately - I don't have access to an industrial rivet
machine to install the assembly .. duh.
... still haven't got a round tuit replacing the wheel.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Exasperated with yet another dead coffee maker (display LCD died), she
posted a nasty review on Amazon. We really like the coffee it makes
but it only lasted six months[*]. Mr. Coffee contacted her and
offered to send her a new one. Nice. I asked why she didn't tell
them that the one (same model) I have at work has the exact same
problem (though I don't need the display).
[*] Not all that unusual, no matter how much we've paid for coffee
makers. $50 or $500, it doesn't seem to matter so $50 it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:05:35 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:44:08 -0400, wrote:

[*] Not all that unusual, no matter how much we've paid for coffee
makers. $50 or $500, it doesn't seem to matter so $50 it is.

I am not a coffee drinker, but here is the ultimate coffee maker.
If you have great disposable income.

https://goo.gl/paQXkK

I like the box on order line of the page. == How many?

I think I'll take three. ;-)

It is Hammacherer Schlemmer.

Wife said, "Yeah, no!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:44:08 -0400, wrote:

[*] Not all that unusual, no matter how much we've paid for coffee
makers. $50 or $500, it doesn't seem to matter so $50 it is.

I am not a coffee drinker, but here is the ultimate coffee maker.
If you have great disposable income.

https://goo.gl/paQXkK

I like the box on order line of the page. == How many?

I think I'll take three. ;-)

It is Hammacherer Schlemmer.

Wife said, "Yeah, no!"

My cold brew coffee maker consists of a 2 qt glass pitcher, cheese cloth,
an old Mr. Coffee basket and some coffee filters.

Each batch ends up being 1.5 quarts of kick-ass coffee concentrate that
goes down velvety smooth. We either mix equal parts coffee and water or
2/3 coffee - 1/3 water depending on how kick-ass we want at the time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:44:08 -0400, wrote:

[*] Not all that unusual, no matter how much we've paid for coffee
makers. $50 or $500, it doesn't seem to matter so $50 it is.

I am not a coffee drinker, but here is the ultimate coffee maker.
If you have great disposable income.

https://goo.gl/paQXkK

It is Hammacherer Schlemmer.

Call that the ultimate? Try a Jura super auto.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:44:08 -0400, wrote:

[*] Not all that unusual, no matter how much we've paid for coffee
makers. $50 or $500, it doesn't seem to matter so $50 it is.

I am not a coffee drinker, but here is the ultimate coffee maker.
If you have great disposable income.

https://goo.gl/paQXkK

It is Hammacherer Schlemmer.

Call that the ultimate? Try a Jura super auto.

No the ultimate would be Star Trek tech that makes coffee out of
energy. So excuse me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Call that the ultimate? Try a Jura super auto.

No the ultimate would be Star Trek tech that makes coffee out of
energy. So excuse me.

I'd like this one:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070618#.W19NQn5lAhs
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Call that the ultimate? Try a Jura super auto.

No the ultimate would be Star Trek tech that makes coffee out of
energy. So excuse me.

I'd like this one:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070618#.W19NQn5lAhs

That's a well built wench...err...I mean...wrench.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 12, 2009 at 11:27:03 AM UTC-7, Ed Edelenbos wrote:
After the recent thread on food safe glue, I emailed Gorilla Glue and asked.
They replied with a detailed message. Essentially, they said that while
they haven't gone through the FDA approval process, it is already in use in
Denmark making things like cutting boards and such. They go on to say it is
completely non-toxic after curing. The only caveat is that if subjected to
temperatures over 212F for over 4 hrs (at a time) may lead to joint failure
once cooled.

Ed

I used the Gorilla glue on a terracotta orchid pot and it blistered the Orchid. So I'm not sure it is food safe.