Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scarf joint

I've got to join some 1x8 mahogany to "make them longer" for
converting a full size bed into a queen size. (That's a different
issue.)

I know how to make a scarf joint but am not sure on the angle other
than the more surface the better. From a realistic point it must be
some where between 45 degrees and 10 degrees or so. There must be a
point ofdiminishing returns where little strength is gained for a
shallower angle.

There are lots of sites from Google, but I have not foune one that
gives an idea of the angle strength relationship.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 8:47*am, wrote:
I've got to join some 1x8 mahogany to "make them longer" for
converting a full size bed into a queen size. *(That's a different
issue.)

I know how to make a scarf joint but am not sure on the angle other
than the more surface the better. *From a realistic point it must be
some where between 45 degrees and 10 degrees or so. *There must be a
point ofdiminishing returns where little strength is gained for a
shallower angle.

There are lots of sites from Google, but I have not foune one that
gives an idea of the angle *strength relationship.

A scarf joint is not the strongest joint out there, and would not be
my first or choice for extending a bed frame unless you have a rigid
box spring. I'd also be concerned about the look of the exposed joint
- will it be covered?

http://www.traditionaltools.us/cms/i...iewtopic&t=239
poke around on that site a bit for more on scarf joints.

Scarf jointing fascia boards Osprey Woodworking 5 November 26th 08 01:13 AM
Scarf Joint trvlnmny Woodworking 13 September 3rd 08 04:30 PM
Crown molding scarf joint question Mikepier Home Repair 12 December 11th 07 11:02 PM
baby barn Chapter 4 ... the scarf joint Stephen M Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 5th 07 04:04 AM
Scarf joint or butt joint your choice on crown molding? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 16 October 11th 03 06:06 PM