Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 266

Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1507 It looks too awkward to be a conductor's fare collection box, and the
most probable way to open it is to just lift the lid on the right. I'll
guess that this is a vote collection box. People voting put a token
(yea/nay) in the slot, and the vote collection official pushes the button.
At the end of the vote, open and count. There was a very nice vote
collection box here a couple of years ago.

1508 Wine bottle cork remover. Ram the needle through the cork, and pump to
build up pressure to extract the cork.

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509. Pry bar for moving heavy containers.

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509 Railroad Car Mover

http://www.advancecarmover.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

1508 Wine bottle cork remover. Ram the needle through the cork, and pump to
build up pressure to extract the cork.

I can attest to the fact that these should not be used
on some bottles - I specifically remember a flattened
bottle of something expensive in the after-dinner
category, a messy cleanup job and a glass shard that
found its way into my foot a few days later.. /mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 8:11*pm, Howard R Garner wrote:
Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509 *Railroad Car Mover

http://www.advancecarmover.com/

How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?

And how did you ever find THAT!? I'm impressed!

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Here goes my guesses!
1507 no clue
1508 pump for inflating basketballs, volley balls, etc.
1509 Nail puller???
1510 It will squeeze and hold whatever. For squeezing oranges?
1511 Quick reloader for a revolver. In use, the 6 clips have cartridges
in them, the loop is for your finger to hold the clip while shooting.
1512 Clamp for pipe style antenna mast

Now to see what the real answers are

Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 04:21:42 -0500, Rob H. wrote:

Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Without having looked at anybody else's answers:

1507. Coin-operated device for something. Or is it just a coinbox for,
say, a ticket-taker?

1508. Obviously another dentist's torture device.

1510. A device to crush something, but it looks much too big for nuts
or ice.

1511. Ring for holding something

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"humunculus" wrote: How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You jam it under the sheel and push down. There is a simpler kind, without
the moving parts, where you lift.

1510 looks like it could be clamped onto the bottom of a wooden post, to
keep it from sinking into the ground.

1511is a 6 candlepower lamp ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509 *Railroad Car Mover

http://www.advancecarmover.com/

How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?

And how did you ever find THAT!? I'm impressed!

--riverman

They've been around for a long time and in different
flavors. The following link is from a Railway Supply Catalog
(1914):

http://ia350629.us.archive.org/zipvi...&file=0003.jpg

or

http://tinyurl.com/9r9w6t

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Hey...I believe I actually know one this week!

1507 - fare collection box for public transportation, sort of a
predecessor of the vaguely blender-like thingy usually seen at the front
of city busses in more recent times.

1508 - Inflator for footballs, basketballs, etc. Doesn't look
particularly convenient to use, with the ball likely interfering with
the operation of the pump cylinder and, I'd think, the needle being
rather liable to bend or break from applied torque and shear. I have no
idea why they didn't use the usual inline design.

1509 - Lever for pulling pipe or drill rods out of the ground

1510 - Clamp to hold...something...while working on it. Maybe for
shaping axe handles?

1511 - It's one of those things that you find in a dark corner of a
toolbox but never knew what it did.

1512 - Yet another cable clamp design, possibly for telephone pole guy
wires.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509 *Railroad Car Mover

http://www.advancecarmover.com/

How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?

And how did you ever find THAT!? I'm impressed!

--riverman

Don't know how Rob found it, but I've seen them iub use. Hung around a
small rail yard in my youth.

How it's used - put it on the rail, slide up against the wheel, push
the bar down, the small shoe comes up and rolls the wheel, thus moving
the car.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"ff" wrote in news:6ll9l.10688$D32.758
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Looks like an earlier incarnation of the Maxfi
http://www.speedloaders.com/

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

1509 Railroad Car Mover

http://www.advancecarmover.com/

How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?

And how did you ever find THAT!? I'm impressed!

--riverman

Old railroad fan. Knew what it was at first sight, just took a little to
find the link. As a youg teen back inthe 50's I move a few cars with
one. (not that they needed to be moved)
You place it under the wheel and push down. Then the leverage helps.

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" wrote in message
4...
"ff" wrote in news:6ll9l.10688$D32.758
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Looks like an earlier incarnation of the Maxfi
http://www.speedloaders.com/

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

The spring prevents carpal-tunnel syndrome. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" wrote in message
4...
"ff" wrote in news:6ll9l.10688$D32.758
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Looks like an earlier incarnation of the Maxfi
http://www.speedloaders.com/

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

The spine on the back of the loader is a hinge and the spring keeps it in
the position shown, if I remember correctly it rotated about 30 degrees, but
I don't know why this was necessary.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" wrote in message
4...
"ff" wrote in news:6ll9l.10688$D32.758
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Looks like an earlier incarnation of the Maxfi
http://www.speedloaders.com/

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

The spine on the back of the loader is a hinge and the spring keeps
it in the position shown, if I remember correctly it rotated about 30
degrees, but I don't know why this was necessary.

Rob

Most speedloaders have a means to keep the cartridges locked in the loader
until you want them to come out . The spring is probably part of that
mechanism .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 4:21*am, "Rob H." wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1512: Depth stop for an auger bit. The angled U bolt fits into the
flute of the bit.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

The spine on the back of the loader is a hinge and the spring keeps
it in the position shown, if I remember correctly it rotated about 30
degrees, but I don't know why this was necessary.

Rob

Most speedloaders have a means to keep the cartridges locked in the
loader until you want them to come out . The spring is probably part of
that mechanism .

I just found the patent for it, where it says the clip can be folded in
order to put it in a sheath, when removed the spring will force it back into
the normal position. When I handled the clip I gave it a quick flex or two
but didn't try to rotate it very much, as seen in the patent, it was meant
to be rotated so that the leaves are back to back with the bullets pointing
in opposite directions:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=JHF...971526&rview=1

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1507: Coin box... maybe for a bus?
1508: Right-angle syringe
1509: Shuffleboard pusher variant
1510: Manual animal trap-- you had to catch the animal and wrap this
thing around its leg by hand. Or perhaps human torture device
1511: Speedloader for a revolver
1512: Corner mast clamp

--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2009-01-08, Rob H. wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1507) At a guess, it is a coin collection box for early trolley cars
or buses. The driver/conductor could lift it out and carry it
to the office for official counting, and I'll bet that it has a
mechanical counter inside.

I do wonder how it was opened to remove the coins.

And the coin slot and plunger look as though they came from game
machines -- pinball or the like.

1508) Wine bottle opener. You stick the needle through the cork,
then pump the handle to build up pressure in the bottle to force
the cork out.

1509) Looks like a primitive relative to a Johnson bar for moving
heavy machine tools.

Maybe for moving a railroad car an inch at a time?

1510) At a guess, it is to clamp on the hooves of horses to keep
them from sinking in overly soft ground or mud.

It does look potentially painful, however.

1511) Looks like a primitive speed loader, for loading all six
cartridges into a revolver cylinder at once.

The spring in the center of the back puzzles me a bit, however.

1512) Clamps on round rod, or perhaps on an overlap of two wire
cables to form an eye.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 4:21 am, "Rob H." wrote:
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1512: Depth stop for an auger bit. The angled U bolt fits into the
flute of the bit.

John Martin

This answer is correct.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

The answers along with two updates from previous sets have been posted:

http://answers266r.blogspot.com/

One of the links on the answer page is to a modern version of number 1510, I
still can't believe how much money they want for a few pieces of bent metal
and a plastic base, it must be very well made.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"ff" wrote in message

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1509. Pry bar for moving heavy containers.

1509 is used to move rail cars by hand. It sounds like a job for Superman,
but I've seen the grainbuyers move full box cars of wheat by using one of
these things. They are slow to get started but, once they get moving, can
move along quite well. Stopping was done with a manual brake on the car.
This was so that an empty car could be placed under the filling spout
forloading

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 6:22*am, "Rob H." wrote:
The answers along with two updates from previous sets have been posted:

http://answers266r.blogspot.com/

One of the links on the answer page is to a modern version of number 1510, I
still can't believe how much money they want for a few pieces of bent metal
and a plastic base, it must be very well made.

Rob

Its not the quality of the 'jamonaro tenaza' that drives up the price,
its the value of the leg of parma ham its designed to hold...
http://www.grupocrisol.com/body2/indice.php?fsa=5:15:6

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"humunculus" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 6:22 am, "Rob H." wrote:
The answers along with two updates from previous sets have been posted:

http://answers266r.blogspot.com/

One of the links on the answer page is to a modern version of number
1510, I
still can't believe how much money they want for a few pieces of bent
metal
and a plastic base, it must be very well made.

Rob

Its not the quality of the 'jamonaro tenaza' that drives up the price,
its the value of the leg of parma ham its designed to hold...
http://www.grupocrisol.com/body2/indice.php?fsa=5:15:6

That could be it, though it still sounds like a lot more than I would pay
for something like that.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 6:22 am, "Rob H." wrote:

The answers along with two updates from previous sets have been posted:

http://answers266r.blogspot.com/

One of the links on the answer page is to a modern version of number
1510, I
still can't believe how much money they want for a few pieces of bent
metal
and a plastic base, it must be very well made.

Rob

Its not the quality of the 'jamonaro tenaza' that drives up the price,
its the value of the leg of parma ham its designed to hold...
http://www.grupocrisol.com/body2/indice.php?fsa=5:15:6

That could be it, though it still sounds like a lot more than I would pay
for something like that.

Rob

Heck, think of how much you pay for a teentsy weeny car key...

--riverman