Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lee Valley Shows its True Colo(u)rs

In a heated debate a few years ago, Rob Lee defended the company's
charging of much higher prices to Canadians due to unforseen shifts in
CDN-US exchange rates.

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. Heads they win, tails you lose.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

And now Rob Lee is supposed to compromise the health of his fine
company to make 'you' happy?

Had Robin Lee been the 'cause' of the US dollar/Canadian dollar
problem, then I would also hold him responsible.

He owes it to his business to put it first. It is his business to do
as he seems fit so that all his employees can at least have a chance
at keeping their jobs. (Which may or may not be possible due to the
enormous economic mismanagement beyond our control.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

[...]

I 'applaud' your 'use' of irrelevant quotation marks for 'effect'.

I have merely pointed out an obvious inconsistency in Lee Valley's
stated policy when a currency move that went in their favor and the
opposite behavior when it did not. They are free to do what they
want, as a privately-held company. Not sure if raising prices,
against a stated policy, in this turd-bowl of an economy is the
smartest move, but I simply wanted to point out the lack of
consistency with former company statements.

Are you the unofficial Lee Valley apologist?
Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

[...]

So kind of you to notice and comment in such a positive manner.
I 'live' for moments like these.

I have merely pointed out an obvious inconsistency in Lee Valley's
stated policy when a currency move that went in their favor and the
opposite behavior when it did not. *They are free to do what they
want, as a privately-held company. *Not sure if raising prices,
against a stated policy, in this turd-bowl of an economy is the
smartest move, but I simply wanted to point out the lack of
consistency with former company statements.

As you seem to be looking at it purely from a standpoint that would
benefit you, I can understand your desire for everybody to give away
merchandise at or below cost, so they can go tits up so not to have to
deal with such hinderances as warranties and service.
It is impossible to maintain the status quo when everything around you
falls apart. Don't you change clothing when the weather changes?

Are you the unofficial Lee Valley apologist?

As if Lee Valley needs to apologize to those who won't/can't
understand the harsh realities of a down-turn economy.
Maybe if you had asked about those policy questions directly from the
source, instead of throwing a poorly constructed Molotov Cocktail of
crap into a public wood-working forum?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 6:52*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Maybe if you had asked about those policy questions directly from the
source, instead of throwing a poorly constructed Molotov Cocktail of
crap into a public wood-working forum?

ROTFLMAO.... I'm dying over here!!

Seriously.... your hot buttons....

Sometimes you really crack me up!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

It's bidness. I don't know if you own or have ever owned your own
bidness but times is hard and bidness does what bidness needs to do.
Mr. Lee has employees who depend on him to make intelligent decisions
- so that they can continue to have jobs. It looks to me like Mr. Lee
is doing just that.

tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow.

What I said, using smaller words, so as not to confuse, is the
following.

When the CDN dollar went up, Robin Lee said his hands were tied, the
fact that LV products cost way less in the US was regrettably out of
his hands, due to the long-term currency-buying and catalog-printing
policies of Lee Valley. The fall of the Canadian dollar is,
apparently, easier to address, in the form of price increases to
Canadian customers. I know it is subtle, but do you see the
inconsistency. In the first case, when the currency movement
benefitted LV, no change could be made, due to currency commitments,
and catalog printings. In the latter case, when the currency movement
harms Lee Valley, then they abandon recently-distributed catalog
pricing and push it up. All I am saying, Einstein, is that this is
inconsistent.

I am not suggesting Lee Valley should pursue a plan to make me happy.
I am simply pointing out the dishonesty and inconsistency.

I feel I should use smaller words, since Robatoy and now Tom are
confused by longer On Jan 2, 8:48*pm, Tom Watson

He said:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 7:52*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 2, 6:20*pm, JohnD wrote:

He said:

[...]

Actually, I responded directly to the source when the discussion
occurred a few years ago. Robin Lee got rather snippy and took a
moral position regarding Lee Valley's pricing policies. He stated
that they were locked in and, as such, could not be altered to reflect
the strengthening of the Canadian dollar, and the concomitant
increases in CDN pricing. He quoted the dates the decisions were
made, and referred to the immutable nature of the prices. Now,
somehow, Lee Valley has discovered a way to get around the lock in.
Since the currency shift has gone in the other direction, they are
overriding the catalog prices and increasing away. If you have an
issue with any factual point I am making, please respond. If you
simply want to flap away with irrelevant gibberings, I will invite you
to do that in your private diaries.

John

As you seem to be looking at it purely from a standpoint that would
benefit you, I can understand your desire for everybody to give away
merchandise at or below cost, so they can go tits up so not to have to
deal with such hinderances as warranties and service.
It is impossible to maintain the status quo when everything around you
falls apart. Don't you change clothing when the weather changes?

Are you the unofficial Lee Valley apologist?

As if Lee Valley needs to apologize to those who won't/can't
understand the harsh realities of a down-turn economy.
Maybe if you had asked about those policy questions directly from the
source, instead of throwing a poorly constructed Molotov Cocktail of
crap into a public wood-working forum?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JohnD" wrote in message
In a heated debate a few years ago, Rob Lee defended the company's
charging of much higher prices to Canadians due to unforseen shifts in
CDN-US exchange rates.

He said:

Who cares what he said a few years ago. Things change. The economy
certainly has.

Sounds like your beef is with Mr. Lee so you should take it up with him, not
us. No one here can change the policy, but he can.

Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

You always have the option to not do business with Lee Valley, but then it
would be heads they win and tails you loose also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 9:58*pm, JohnD wrote:
[...]

Was that an attempt at condescension?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 10:13*pm, JohnD wrote:

Before this little misguided thread, your last contribution, JohnD
was:
6. JohnD

Jun 19 2005, 12:05 am
I would think of painting it, personally.

As a group, we have JohnD to thank for that contribution. 3-1/2 years
ago since we heard anything from him.

Sometimes people leave for one reason or another, and sometimes we
miss them.
This is not one of those times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JohnD wrote:

He stated
that they were locked in and, as such, could not be altered to reflect
the strengthening of the Canadian dollar, and the concomitant
increases in CDN pricing. He quoted the dates the decisions were
made, and referred to the immutable nature of the prices. Now,
somehow, Lee Valley has discovered a way to get around the lock in.
Since the currency shift has gone in the other direction, they are
overriding the catalog prices and increasing away.

Good for him. Glad he got that figured out, and hope that will allow
him to continue to provide excellent tools and service at good prices.

If you have an
issue with any factual point I am making, please respond. If you
simply want to flap away with irrelevant gibberings, I will invite you
to do that in your private diaries.

Or, if you have issue with their pricing, why don't you deny yourself
the use of any LV tools. I'll be glad to hold any planes for you
until you get over it, and promise to keep them in good use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JohnD" wrote in message
inconsistency. In the first case, when the currency movement
benefitted LV, no change could be made, due to currency commitments,
and catalog printings. In the latter case, when the currency movement
harms Lee Valley, then they abandon recently-distributed catalog
pricing and push it up. All I am saying, Einstein, is that this is
inconsistent.

No, it's business. Robin's first duty to his company is to see that it
doesn't lose money. When the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US
buck, it was only that way for a relatively short period. Nobody is
immediately going to change prices under those conditions until they're
fairly sure those rates are going to stay fairly consistent. They didn't
stay that way for long so no prices were changed.

However when the dollar went way down again, immediately LV would be losing
money, so he has to address that condition immediately. That's his duty and
it is what he did. There's no greed or inconsistency there, just ordinary
business.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JohnD writes:

All I am saying, Einstein, is that this is
inconsistent.

Only from your perspective. From LV's - it's profitable both ways.
As Tom says, it's business.

Perhaps LV is doing this because most of their business comes from the
US, and if they have to show "favorites," they pick the one that gives
them the most profit.

Now if you have a suggestion that will allow LV to do the "right
thing," and remain at least as profitable, please enlighten us..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:58:31 -0800 (PST), JohnD
wrote:

I feel I should use smaller words, since Robatoy and now Tom are
confused by longer

**** You.

(are those words small enough for you?)

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JohnD" wrote

What I said, using smaller words, so as not to confuse ...

All I am saying, Einstein, is that this is inconsistent.

I am simply pointing out the dishonesty and inconsistency.

I feel I should use smaller words...

The cabal has assigned, as your New Year's resolution, that you work on your
exhibited affliction described in section "2." below:

http://www.rundaria.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

While there is no cabal, take it to heart.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

The cabal has assigned, as your New Year's resolution, that you work on your
exhibited affliction described in section "2." below:

http://www.rundaria.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

LOL! You hit that one square on the head!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I shop around, watch for sales and find the best price I can and leave it at
that.. I just bought a Veritas twin screw vise for a new workbench project
from Lee Valley. I found other stores that sell it, but all were more
expensive. Lee Valley's current free shipping was enough of a bonus for
me.. Other things I buy elsewhere.. Doesn't do much good to get ticked
about price changes in a particular store.. Just let supply and demand
principle take care of that..

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 9:13*pm, JohnD wrote:

Actually, I responded directly to the source when the discussion
occurred a few years ago. *Robin Lee got rather snippy and took a
moral position regarding Lee Valley's pricing policies. *He stated
that they were locked in and, as such, could not be altered to reflect
the strengthening of the Canadian dollar, and the concomitant
increases in CDN pricing. *He quoted the dates the decisions were
made, and referred to the immutable nature of the prices. *Now,
somehow, Lee Valley has discovered a way to get around the lock in.
Since the currency shift has gone in the other direction, they are
overriding the catalog prices and increasing away. *If you have an
issue with any factual point I am making, please respond. *If you
simply want to flap away with irrelevant gibberings, I will invite you
to do that in your private diaries.

John

Robin stated a policy. He didn't sign a contract. He is allowed to
change policy, and it's possible the the economic situation forced him
to do so. I don't know.

You seem to have a low opinion of Robin, or of his company. I have no
idea whether it's justified or not, but in any case you simply need to
buy from someone else. Give your business to someone whom you respect,
based on whatever business behavior pleases you. I doubt Robin will
miss you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:05:40 -0800 (PST), JohnD
wrote:

[...snip...]

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

One possible explanation of why Lee Valley is doing differently today
than several years ago: a larger percentage of their business is
Internet driven, therefore they are comfortable changing prices before
the next catalog comes out. Perhaps most if not all customers can
check prices on the web site and are comfortable doing so. A few years
ago, that was likely less true.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"JohnD" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not a financial advisor, so don't take this for gospel. It's common
business practice to hedge against commodity price movements by holding
futures on those commodities. This has the effect of locking in the price of
that commodity. For LV, USD currency futures would lock in an effective
exchange rate for their US sales revenues. Losses from an adverse price
movement are offset by gains on the futures contracts, and vice versa. To
not hedge this way amounts to speculating on the commodity market. That's a
valid business model also, but should be undertaken as a conscious decision.
Maybe this will shed some light and take some of the angst out of the
discussion. But what does that mean in context of LV price adjustments? Was
John so far off mark to cry "Foul!" in the face of LV's stated policies?
Sales projections were undoubtedly skewed by the suddenly tight retail
market. They would then be over hedged, and losing money on the exchange
rate. It might also be they were playing a little lose and free with the
long term CDN strength on the dollar, scraping a few extra pennies on the
favorable exchange rate. They would then be under hedged and over exposed.
This is the scenario John paints, that LV was playing the market in their
favor with their customers' pocketbooks. Who's to say? I'm guessing there
was a little of both.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in
news
"Upscale" wrote in message

"JohnD" wrote in message
inconsistency. In the first case, when the currency
movement benefitted LV, no change could be made, due to
currency commitments, and catalog printings. In the
latter case, when the currency movement harms Lee Valley,

Lot's of over-analyzing snipped....

You're beating up on a guy that is only doing what he needs to
do to stay profitable. The bottom line is that in my
experience they have always had good quality products for sale
at a fair price. Add to that excellent customer service. If
you think you can get the same product/price/service somewhere
else, you're free to shop elsewhere.

Myself, based on past experience I believe I will continue to
receive the same value I have in the past and will continue
shopping there. I don't believe the core values have changed,
only the current market. YMMV

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
. But what does that mean in context of LV price adjustments? Was John so
far off mark to cry "Foul!" in the face of LV's stated policies?

The policy was stated a few years ago. It may have changed. Rather than
rant and spout off nonsense because he is PO'd, John should have checked to
see what the policy is today. If you search the LV web site and catalog and
find that policy written and still in effect, different story. I've not
looked and doubt it is there. No written contract or promise exists. LV is
a private owned business and can change the rules every day if they want to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 6:17*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LV is
a private owned business and can change the rules every day if they want to.

And I get to choose whether to do business with them or not, taking
those rules into account.

I chose to keep doing business with them. Of course, the store 5
minutes away from work helps.

That explains the hour-long 'bathroom' breaks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"MikeWhy" wrote in message
. But what does that mean in context of LV price adjustments? Was John so
far off mark to cry "Foul!" in the face of LV's stated policies?

The policy was stated a few years ago. It may have changed. Rather than
rant and spout off nonsense because he is PO'd, John should have checked to
see what the policy is today.

I dunno, seemed most of the ranting and raving was people attacking John
for passing along information. I have no opinion on LV myself, they can
charge whatever they want far as I'm concerned.

If you search the LV web site and catalog and
find that policy written and still in effect, different story.

As long as they are a private business, and not doing anything
illegal,(almost impossible considering the millions of laws "private"
business must 'freely' operate under these days) they can change their
policy anytime the government lets them...

I've not
looked and doubt it is there. No written contract or promise exists. LV is
a private owned business and can change the rules every day if they want to.

I think the government should look into it, and see if Lee Valley is
making obscene profits over this, like say 8% or more, and then consider
imposing a "windfall profits" tax on anything over 8%. Whats good
enough for XOM is good enough for LV, right?

Where's Ralph Nader when you need him?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

Houses around here that were selling for $300,000 a few months ago are
now offered at $225,000 with no takers.

Does that indicate anything to you?

Businesses have to change policies to meet fiscal conditions. The fact
that Robin Lee didn't ask your permission to make a business decision
seems to be really griping your ass. I suggest you thus don't do
business with them. Find what they sell elsewhere, at similar
reasonable prices with the same customer service. Good luck in that
search. You'll need it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable toLee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

Hi John -

I missed this this thread....

At the risk of screwing up your rant by interjecting the truth, I do
have to say that we have been dropping prices overall (in Canada) for
four years. In fact, last year we dropped them twice - fall 2007, and
a second mass mid-year drop in Jan 2008.... we just don't print price
changes for drops....

During the same period - our prices in the US market were rising (they
had a Jan 2008 increase), and our difficultly had been that we
couldn't raise them fast enough. Of course - when a consumer views an
exchange difference (outside of current rates) they tend to interpret
it from a narrow perspective... During the period the Canadian dollar
appreciated, our revenues dropped from US sales (they converted into
fewer CAD), and dropped in Canada (from lowered prices). For four
years we (and other businesses) were caught in that squeeze.

I'd like nothing more than stable exchange rate - but failing that -
we'll just keep doing what necessary to stay in business.

Have a good one....

Rob Lee
Frankly - our prices reflect our costs, and our desire to stay in
business