Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band Saw Blades

Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Rich,
One thing I have read in a variety of places is that you should not go
over 1/2 inch for a 14 inch bandsaw. Your saw may not produce enough
spring pressure to properly tension the blade. Although I have used
3/4 inch successfully on my 14, I prefer - and get similar results
with 1/2 inch. I did replace the stock spring with a heavier style.
I have no comments on what to avoid but I use Morse and Olsen
interchangeably. I have used Carter too, but I end up buying the two
other brands more.
If you plan to use your saw for scrolling I highly recommend the
Carter Stabilizer. Used with a 1/8 or 3/16 blade it can deliver
scroll saw type curves with bandsaw type speed.
Call Louis Iturra at Iturra designs for one of his catalogues. He
sells a lot of blades and accessories for the 14 (he focusses on the
Delta but so many 14s are copies of that machine. Here is his number
1-866-883-8064
Thanks for the New Year wishes and same to you. Hope you have lots of
fun with that bandsaw.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Rich.....

I use BC SAW (Canada) blades. I use 3tpi skip tooth blades for everything.
This is in accordance with Michael Fortune's recommendations. I use
primarily 1/2" blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Look here...
http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Bla...oth-types-sets

You don't need a 3/4 blade for resawing. See below for a great blade.

____________________

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Congrats on your soon-to-be new saw. Bandsaws are wonderful tools, very
handy. They are also a PITA when it comes to changing blades. If I had the
space (and $$) I would have two...one with a 1/2" 3-4 tpi hook tooth blade
for resawing, another with a 3/16" 3-4 tpi skip or hook tooth for curves.
High teeth per inch (10-14) means a smoother (slightly) cut but it also
means a *much* slower cut. I've never had a use for other than those two
blades, YMMV.

This is the best generally available 1/2" resaw blade I know of...
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=1293

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Rich.....

Give Louis Iturra at 888-722-7078. He will talk to you with a level headed
expertise and not try to load you up with anything that doesn't suit your
applications. He also carries a better tension spring (as do Rockler and
Woodcraft) and other improvements and his catalog reads like a hardcover
book - thicker than many! He really helped me out and his blades are very
good. Not that you will need it but he can make custom lengths as well.

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Rich.....

If I may, I'd like to extend this thread a little. I am going to get a 14"
Griz sometime in the coming year. I like to buy a good book if I'm buying a
tool that has many uses. I have one for my table saw and router. Does
anyone have a book to recommend for the bandsaw.

Sorry for jumping on your posting Rich but you might benefit too.........??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 1:40*pm, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Sorry for jumping on your posting Rich but you might benefit too.........??- Hide quoted text -

Agree with a good book. Did that for the table saw and a few others.
But I now live in downtown Montana, and those stores with books in the
big cities are no where to be found. Yea Internet!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Mastering Your Bandsaw
Mark Duginske
Video, or book
I have his video I highly recommend it. Check out Tauton books

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" writes:

If I may, I'd like to extend this thread a little. I am going to get a 14"
Griz sometime in the coming year. I like to buy a good book if I'm buying a
tool that has many uses. I have one for my table saw and router. Does
anyone have a book to recommend for the bandsaw.

Iturra's free catalog
Duginski's book.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi, All,

I going to get a 14" bandsaw finally, prob the Griz, and I'm not
sure what blades to get. I use a Woodworker 2 on the table saw, and
can see the difference between that and something from Harbor
Freight!!! So... First: What brands are good, which ones to stay away
from?

2nd: I see hook, standard, rake teeth. What are they, or where can I
find some descriptions? I will probably look for 3/4 inch something
for resawing, and something smaller for general cutting. I usually
cut oak, fir, cedar, and walnut if that matters.

Well, any help at all, will be a big help in getting started with a
band saw. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

Rich.....

I agree with dadiOH - Highland Hardware's WoodSlicer is the best blade
I've ever used, and I just wish they made them in sizes smaller than
1/2". If your Grizzly will accommodate a 1/2" blade, but all means get
a WoodSlicer; it's the Forrest Woodworker of bandsaw blades (well, as
close as you're going to get, unless you move up to a big daddy saw with
a carbide blade).

Woodworker's Supply is now carrying Bahco/Starrett blades (two of my
favorite brand names) at reasonable prices. Just today I received my
first batch of these blades (two 1/4" and one 3/8") for my MiniMax and
I'm anxious to put them to the test. The 1/4" blade sliced through some
scrap Pecan like buttah, and I used it to cut some router templates with
plenty of tight curves and was quite pleased with the results. Now if
they just don't break before they lose their edge I'll be happy. Most
of the other 1/4" blades I've used have been either Timberwolf or Olson
and they've all broken before they had a chance to get dull. Of course,
with the MiniMax it's very easy to over-tension a blade, so I could just
be expecting too much of my poor little 1/4" blades... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mastering Your Bandsaw
Mark Duginske
Video, or book
I have his video I highly recommend it. Check out Tauton books

Here's a link to get the book for under $20
http://product.half.ebay.com/Masteri...oQQprZ47027181
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all the ideas. I ended up getting 2 extra Olsen blades from
Rockler, 3/8 and 5/8 inch, and the cool blocks. I suspect I will try
these and see what they do. Now if only Griz would ship by air at the
same rip-off freight price!

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:23*pm, Turner wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:57:02 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

Repost, forget to include Rockler website. :-)

Thanks to all the ideas. *I ended up getting 2 extra Olsen blades from
Rockler, 3/8 and 5/8 inch, and the cool blocks. *I suspect I will try
these and see what they do. *Now if only Griz would ship by air at the
same rip-off freight price!

Rich.....

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools,
as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet.
Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?

Comparison between Rockler and Coastal Tools

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/accesso...andsaw_14.html

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...andsaw%20blade

Yep, just added Coastal to my wood stuff list, I'll give them a try
for the next go-around. Thanks for the heads up!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Turner wrote:

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools,
as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet.
Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?

I can walk in and buy them there! G

I love Coastal...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:33:26 -0500, B A R R Y
wrote:

Turner wrote:

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools,
as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet.
Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?

I can walk in and buy them there! G

I love Coastal...

You are lucky! Wanna buy cheap Maple lumber at less than
$1b/f in SFO areas (if they still have any left)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Turner wrote:

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools,
as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet.
Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?

I can walk in and buy them there! G

I love Coastal...

You are lucky! Wanna buy cheap Maple lumber at less than
$1b/f in SFO areas (if they still have any left)?

If I can walk into Coastal, why would I buy lumber in San Francisco? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Repost, forget to include Rockler website. :-)

Thanks to all the ideas. I ended up getting 2 extra Olsen blades from
Rockler, 3/8 and 5/8 inch, and the cool blocks. I suspect I will try
these and see what they do. Now if only Griz would ship by air at the
same rip-off freight price!

Rich.....

Should have purchased your Olsen blades from Coastal Tools,
as I had and they're the cheapest I found in Internet.
Wonder if there are anyone cheaper?

Comparison between Rockler and Coastal Tools

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/accesso...andsaw_14.html

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...andsaw%20blade

Neither of them carry the blade I like, which is a 3/16 x 4 hook, skip
tooth blade like this one: (never bought anything from this place, just
a reference)

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/Band_S...?UserID=11 99

I cut everything with a blade like that, I even resaw (6") with it. I
always bought my blades from a company a mile from my house. They sold
industrial blades to industry, but would make up blades for anyone that
walked in I guess, at least they did for me. Occasionally I would get a
blade that would break quickly, but 99% of them were surprising in there
durability. This type of blade cuts fast and furious, can cut small
radius and is all I need. Once I stumbled over this blade
configuration, I never changed for another blade. I originally bought
it to cut out names in 2x's for people. I wanted something that cut
small radius. I liked it better than all my other blades for general
use. Cuts a little rough but it is a band saw after all...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com