Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Safari

Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 7:05*am, Han wrote:
Charlie Self wrote in news:8bc6fe7d-e310-47c6-
:

Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.

Glad you are recuperating, Charlie! *I hope all will go well, speedily,
and, especially, as painlessly as possible.

Can you please refresh my memory and tell us the nature of the surgery
(so we canbetter empathize (sp)?

Then, what OS are you using for safari? *Have you tried Chrome? *I
haven't switched to chrome because roboform doesn't run under it, but
otehrwise would have done so in a snap.

Heal!!

--

Cryosurgery for prostate cancer. One of the joys of the aging male.
This one is fun, fun, fun...well, not exactly.

I'm using XP...Windows.

I just made Safari my default. In most ways, it's far simpler to use
than Firefox or Opera, IMO. I'm having trouble getting a weather
reading included in my opening page, but what the hell. That's easy
enough to search up later. It opens Google Groups, at least so far,
beautifully, and eliminates a problem that I've been having with
Firefox in DPReview.com (digital photography site). That often came up
with "Bad Request" in the upper left of a white screen when I was
moving from one forum answer to the next, or back. It got annoying,
though a Control R corrected the mess each time. So I started looking
at Opera, which is somewhat weird in some ways. Then I recalled that
someone on DPReview had mentioned that Safari now worked for Windows.
It surely does, at least so far.

I'm not deleting any programs yet, but it seemed to me that every time
Firefox updated itself, it got clumsier and harder to handle, more
prone to minor glitches, so a change was in order.

So far, Safari seems to me to be more unified, more of a whole, maybe
just better planned from the start.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Charlie Self wrote in news:1d38c587-153e-47e3-
:

Cryosurgery for prostate cancer. One of the joys of the aging male.
This one is fun, fun, fun...well, not exactly.

So far (knocking wood) I just suffer a bit from BHP (benign hypertrophy
of the prostate). Cystoscopy was no fun whatsoever, but reaming out the
prostate helped a lot.

I'm using XP...Windows.

I just made Safari my default. In most ways, it's far simpler to use
than Firefox or Opera, IMO. I'm having trouble getting a weather
reading included in my opening page, but what the hell. That's easy
enough to search up later. It opens Google Groups,

I don't like google groups except to search. Have you tried Xnews to
keep up with ongoing discussions? It is just unzipping from the TEST
download at
http://xnews.newsguy.com/ and making a shortcut to xnews.exe.

at least so far,
beautifully, and eliminates a problem that I've been having with
Firefox in DPReview.com (digital photography site). That often came up
with "Bad Request" in the upper left of a white screen when I was
moving from one forum answer to the next, or back. It got annoying,
though a Control R corrected the mess each time. So I started looking
at Opera, which is somewhat weird in some ways. Then I recalled that
someone on DPReview had mentioned that Safari now worked for Windows.
It surely does, at least so far.

I'm annoyed at the continual updates that Apple pushes on you, which mean
that the whole kit-a-kaboodle has to be reinstalled. At least for iTunes
and Quiktime. A patchfile would be more acceptable.

I'm not deleting any programs yet, but it seemed to me that every time
Firefox updated itself, it got clumsier and harder to handle, more
prone to minor glitches, so a change was in order.

I completely agree.

So far, Safari seems to me to be more unified, more of a whole, maybe
just better planned from the start.

Good to see you here!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 9:41*am, Han wrote:
[...]

I use Safari and Firefox on 5 macs, Firefox on 2 PC's I had completely
forgotten that Safari now runs on a PC as well. (Which is why the sore
losers at Microsoft stopped supporting Exploder for Macs.)

I agree that Firefox is 'out-featuring' themselves into being too
cumbersome. Every upgrade makes it slower.
Safari is simple and quick. That works for me. The Firefoxes are still
around for that odd page that Safari won't play with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 11:24*am, Robatoy wrote:

I agree that Firefox is 'out-featuring' themselves into being too
cumbersome. Every upgrade makes it slower.
Safari is simple and quick. That works for me. The Firefoxes are still
around for that odd page that Safari won't play with.

I am beginning to think so as well. I upgraded to the lastest
version, and it performs well, but it is getting cluttered and a
little clumsy. I still can't figure out how to effectively remove
bookmarks and histories as they cross reference each other in FF3.
Several trips to the FF3 forums have yielded good information, but all
I want to do is to "uncheck" or unhighlight some old favorite place
and have it gone.

You can remove the book mark, but it may still be in your favorite
places, so it isn't really gone at all. The reverse is true as well.

And I don't need to see my most recent history displayed. No way to
stop that, either short of going into another screen an just deleting
all of it.

At any rate, still 2.000 light years ahead of MS E7. May have to look
into Safari. The nerd squads sure like it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.

Safari is built on Firefox code.
So essentially your still using Firefox.

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dale Miller wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:
Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.

Safari is built on Firefox code.
So essentially your still using Firefox.

Wrong.
Safari is built on WebKit, which is the basis of Konqueror, part of the KDE
project, for *nix based systems.

Firefox uses Gecko, the basis for all Mozilla based browsers, Safari is not
a member of that group.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Dale Miller wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:
Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.

Safari is built on Firefox code.
So essentially your still using Firefox.

Wrong.
Safari is built on WebKit, which is the basis of Konqueror, part of the KDE
project, for *nix based systems.

Firefox uses Gecko, the basis for all Mozilla based browsers, Safari is not
a member of that group.

I stand corrected...it use to be built on gecko...I didn't know that
they changed.

--
All the Best
Dale Miller
Tennessee
ASP since February 2005

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

You mac guys might want to check out Camino.
http://caminobrowser.org/

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
You mac guys might want to check out Camino.
http://caminobrowser.org/

Geez, Internet Explorer just works. I'm _so_ glad I don't have a Mac.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 4:56*pm, Dale Miller wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
Wow!

If I can figure out how to set up a decent home page on Safari, I'm
switching today.

It makes Firefox look like a turd in a soup bowl, and I've never liked
Opera.

This is the first decent wreck view I've had in several years.

I knew there had to be some advantage to sitting around recuperating
after surgery.

Safari is built on Firefox code.
So essentially your still using Firefox.

That's an oversimplification. Take a look at the size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just to inject a grim note into this otherwise entertaining religious
discussion (I'm running out of popcorn):

http://gizmodo.com/5120687/steve-jobs-health-declining-rapidly-reason-for-macworld-cancellation

I really hope this rumor is not true. Jobs was the spark plug for
innovation at Apple.