DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   finish on teak furniture (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/267484-finish-teak-furniture.html)

[email protected] December 25th 08 05:55 PM

finish on teak furniture

I am often asked about cleaning up and/or fixing blemishes on teak
furniture. What is the finish on teak tabletops (veneer and/or solid)
and chairs.

thanks,
Len

dadiOH[_3_] December 25th 08 06:07 PM

finish on teak furniture

wrote:
I am often asked about cleaning up and/or fixing blemishes on teak
furniture. What is the finish on teak tabletops (veneer and/or solid)

Who knows (other than the manufacturer)?

Best bet is lacquer or oil. If the finish is hard and shiny it is probably
lacquer; if not, it *may* be oil. Lacquer thinner will tell you for
sure...if it melts the finish then it was lacquer.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

dpb December 26th 08 04:24 PM

finish on teak furniture

On Dec 25, 11:55 am, " wrote:
I am often asked about cleaning up and/or fixing blemishes on teak
furniture. What is the finish on teak tabletops (veneer and/or solid)
and chairs.

A seal coat of shellac will allow virtually any finish of choice to be
applied over it.

Interesting timing for the question; there's an article in current FWW
on finishing oily woods in one of the shorter columns that's got good
background information.