Posted to rec.woodworking

Default To the group

I hope this message finds all of you getting ready for (or enjoying!)
quality time with friends and family in the spirit of the holiday.

With death and illness clouding this year's celebrations, I am
reminded how little time we have here with each other, and how
important it is to make the most of it. So I am really "on task" this
season.

I am off to fire up the smoker to get a nice ham ready for tomorrow.
Can't beat a nice bone in ham shank slow smoked over oak and pecan,
finished with a clove/butter/brown sugar/bourbon sauce. Should be
finished early morning, about the time the coffee is ready. Turkey...
too boring.

Got taters to peel for garlic/dill mashed potatoes. Lots of things to
chop up for green beans with sun dried tomatoes, caramelized garlic,
mushrooms and toasted almonds. Mexican style helote con chili goes
great with all the contrasting flavors, so that goes on the menu as
well. The only traditional item on the menu is cranberry sauce. That
only leaves bread to bake and coffee to roast.

Pies, cookies, brownies, and bread pudding are in the works, but not
my department. They will be on the ready though, looking like they
came from a magazine when LOL finishes. All finished treats look to
be presentation material; that's because all the "duds" go in a zip
lock for me!

We will have a house full tomorrow, and even more Saturday, and it
will be a lot of fun.

So * cheers * and bottoms up, to all of you. May your holidays be a
good ones as well.

Merry Christmas!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

" wrote in news:22857290-
:

[...]

Our Holiday dinner is a collaborative event, celebrated at the home of
the other grandmorther and grandfater of my granddaughters, about 200
yards down the road. With both sides of the family there it will be a
gret family feast.

Death is the proof that living is worthwhile. It is often a great loss,
but it is part of life. Celebrate the rebirths that are important to you
and remember the good things. This year there is only 1 greatgrandparent
left for our grandchildren ...

Happy Holidays to all

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So * cheers * and bottoms up, to all of you. May your holidays be
good ones as well.

Sounds like the food prep is a major part of your holiday
celebratioin.

To you and yours, the BEST.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Merry Christmas Robert!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Back at ya and have a goood one.

tom

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:34:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 2:34*pm, "
wrote:
[snip]

So ** cheers * and bottoms up, to all of you. *May your holidays be a
good ones as well.

Merry Christmas!

Robert

Same to you and yours. Enjoy, and stay safe.

r 'n a
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Likewise, one and all.
All the best for 2009.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Merry Christmas to you too, Robert!!

And to everyone else on the rec.ww Merry Chrismas!!

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com

----
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:34:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Back at ya, Robert.. Hope you survive all that good food and can still fit in
the shop door!

Feliz Navidad

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:20:55 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:53:25 -0800, Larry Blanchard cast forth these pearls
of wisdom...:

Yes I can. A nice Southern salt-cured ham. Beats sugar cured any day
according to my taste buds :-).

You hadda go and do that didn't you Larry? You do realize that nothing we
have today will be quite satisfying now, don't you?

Sorry 'bout that :-).

But to add a little levity to your Xmas, here's the story of my Xmas
dinner.

About 11 years ago I had a heart attack (OK Doc, a myocardial infarction).
It was a mild one, but it made me give up ciggarettes and start eating
rabbit food. After a few years of this, I was getting pretty tired of my
healthy diet

My lovely Linda pointed out that it would be OK to splurge for Xmas, and
asked me what I really, really wanted. My brain went into overload as I
scanned the memory banks. I wanted grease! Lovely grease! So naturally
I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease) :-).

It has become a tradition. So while you're sitting down to a scrumptious
ham or turkey dinner with all the trimmings, I'll be enjoying my Spam and
fried potatoes. And I'll be just as happily stuffed as you :-).

Have a merry Xmas, happy Hanukkah, splendiferous Saturnalia, and/or snowy
solstice!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I hope this message finds all of you getting ready for (or enjoying!)
quality time with friends and family in the spirit of the holiday.

With death and illness clouding this year's celebrations, I am
reminded how little time we have here with each other, and how
important it is to make the most of it. So I am really "on task" this
season.
only leaves bread to bake and coffee to roast.

Damnit, you left out one point.......your address!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease)
:-).

If you want the best of both worlds (Spam and rabbit food together),
go to the Spam web site and download the primavera recipe.

I sub smoked sausage for Spam.

Frozen veggies, pasta, smoked sausage and Parmesan.

Works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease) :-).

If you want the best of both worlds (Spam and rabbit food together), go to
the Spam web site and download the primavera recipe.

I sub smoked sausage for Spam.

Frozen veggies, pasta, smoked sausage and Parmesan.

Works for me.

Romano! Parmesan is for sissies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

[...]

Wrap the Spam in bacon, extra grease can only help.
;-)
Then do the Spam and bacon with Cheeze Whiz, in bread, and grill it with
extra butter, in the remaining Spam and bacon grease.

I'll see you in the next life.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my preference.... ;~)

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.

That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my preference....
;~)

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.

That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate! G

They can be very distracting... especially when they explode right under
your wheel/feet. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease)
:-).

If you want the best of both worlds (Spam and rabbit food together),
go to the Spam web site and download the primavera recipe.

I sub smoked sausage for Spam.

Frozen veggies, pasta, smoked sausage and Parmesan.

Works for me.

Lew

This year my wife was tired of ham and turkey, and with just the two
of us.
it always leaves lots of left overs.
Living on the mid east coast, I have really good access to fresh
seafood.
I fried fresh large juicy sea scallops with sides of mashed potatoes
and peas.
For lunch we had soft shell crab sandwiches, These were frozen as not
in season,
but were really good fixed on my new panneni (SP) grill

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 8:15*pm, "CC" wrote:

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL
CC

Angela runs a heart & stroke prevention clinic at the local hospital.
If I were brave enough to smuggle a tin of Hormel's finest into the
house, she'd wouldn't stop me from frying up a few slabs to the point
of medium brown semi-crispy perfection...... but somehow... her 'look'
would make all the flavour dissipate somehow.... naaaa.. wouldn't be
worth it.

*shaking my head*

How DOES she do that?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote:

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar
glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL

Picture the following:

You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat that
is safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.

You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of
Canada's finest.

Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.

Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of
BBQ sauce.

Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with BBQ
sauce.

You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"CC" wrote:

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar
glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL

Picture the following:

You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat
that is safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.

You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of
Canada's finest.

Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.

Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of
BBQ sauce.

Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with
BBQ sauce.

You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.

Lew

It's been my experience that after spending the day on the water,
anything you fix tastes wonderful
Merry Christmas
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 9:17*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"CC" wrote:
I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar
glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL

Picture the following:

You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat that
is safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.

You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of
Canada's finest.

Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.

Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of
BBQ sauce.

Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with BBQ
sauce.

You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.

Lew

In a similar vein, I have been known to enjoy a few of Canada's finest
and then, as a late-night snack, encouraged by the herb, a slab of
Maple Leaf bologna, cut from the chub, 3/4" thick, fried in a pan and
affectionately known as a Newfie Steak. Just like that. No additional
encoutrements required. Perhaps a quick rinse with Newfie Screech.
****, that's more than 30 years ago...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
"CC" wrote:

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar glaze
for me,
wife won't eat spam, but I let it go knowing what she would say
about it to me LOL

Picture the following:

You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat that is
safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.

You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of Canada's
finest.

Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.

Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of BBQ
sauce.

Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with BBQ
sauce.

You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.

Funny how this comes up every year at this time:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...3fe63cd390857e

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spam In The Can (OLD: To the group)

Subject

For a product that gets canned in Minnesota, always wondered why the
highest per capita consumption is in Hawaii?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
Subject

For a product that gets canned in Minnesota, always wondered why the
highest per capita consumption is in Hawaii?

I would think it has something to do with the high number of pigs on the
islands. Both domestic and wild. And since the local folks eat a large
amount of pork in their diet anyway, spam just fits right in. Spam being
made from pork and all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Subject

For a product that gets canned in Minnesota, always wondered why the
highest per capita consumption is in Hawaii?

Lew

It goes back to WWII when the soldiers introduced Spam to the locals. It
took off from there and has been a favorite since. You can even get it in
McDonalds and Burger King. They also have different varieties such as Bacon
Spam and Honey Spam. The fact that it is a meat easily stored with no
refrigeration helped too. In much of the Pacific, power was non-existent or
unreliable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my
preference.... ;~)

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.

That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate! G

They can be very distracting... especially when they explode right under
your wheel/feet. ;~)

John

On Jiminy, several of them would chase me, staying just a few feet
behind. If I stopped, they'd stop. If I took a step toward them,
they'd back up by exactly the same amount, as we stared eye to eye.

Very ballsy birds!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my preference....
;~)

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.

That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate! G

They can be very distracting... especially when they explode right under
your wheel/feet. ;~)

John

On Jiminy, several of them would chase me, staying just a few feet behind.
If I stopped, they'd stop. If I took a step toward them, they'd back up
by exactly the same amount, as we stared eye to eye.

Very ballsy birds!

Yes they are! The 11/14/08 issue of New York Outdoor News has a photo of a
ruffed grouse (just realized I spelled it wrong above... not getting enough
sleep these days!) sitting on a guy's nocked arrow as he was about to take a
shot at a whitetail. Seems this bird would visit him in his tree stand
regularly and got way to friendly!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

It goes back to WWII when the soldiers introduced Spam to the
locals. It took off from there and has been a favorite since. You
can even get it in McDonalds and Burger King. They also have
different varieties such as Bacon Spam and Honey Spam. The fact
that it is a meat easily stored with no refrigeration helped too. In
much of the Pacific, power was non-existent or unreliable.

I suspected that WWII had something to do with it, especially since
Spam was a WWII developed product and Hawaii had such a large military
establishment.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spam is meat????

Soylent Green is People!!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 12:27*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Spam is meat????

Soylent Green is People!!

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I once read that the quality control for canned dog food is more
stringent than those parameters set for Spam, Klik etc.
IOW, it is okay for uncle Fred to hurl his guts out at the party, but
Fluffy is safe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" writes:

For a product that gets canned in Minnesota, always wondered why the
highest per capita consumption is in Hawaii?

Compared to poi, SPAM is haught cuisine!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 3:33*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Robatoy wrote in news:b6df6c0a-9172-4155-a6dc-
:

I once read that the quality control for canned dog food is more
stringent than those parameters set for Spam, Klik etc.
IOW, it is okay for uncle Fred to hurl his guts out at the party, but
Fluffy is safe.

IANAL, don't play one on TV, but have seen William Shatner act. *It seems
to me that if Uncle Fred eats bad Spam and dies, his family could sue for
millions. *However, if Fluffy dies, the family is entitled to whatever they
paid for the dog.

It sorta makes sense from an economic standpoint... The company that makes
human food wants to avoid lawsuits so they have more QC, but the company
that makes dog food doesn't care, so they have less QC and have to have
additional QC forced upon them by the governments.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. *That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Dog food is supposed to be subject to more stringent controls.

New to group Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 August 7th 06 06:18 AM
New Group alireza Woodworking 1 November 19th 05 03:00 AM
FAQ for this group? Tanya Hall Electronics Repair 1 October 17th 05 07:24 PM
New to the group Erik Home Ownership 1 March 14th 05 08:38 AM
Fun Group [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 9th 04 02:24 AM