Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp Web Query (Swingman?)

I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if there's a
browser widget of some sort that will allow viewers to use an "orbit"
and "zoom" tools to see all sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable models on a web
page - and that it'd make for some fantastic "how-to" pages.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if there's a browser
widget of some sort that will allow viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom"
tools to see all sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable models on a web
page - and that it'd make for some fantastic "how-to" pages.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Morris, I think this is what you are looking for.

http://sketchup.google.com/download/gsuviewer.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wonder if they have implemented PDF 3D? PDF can contain 3d zoom\spin
type objects but not to many people can generate it yet.... (mid
sentence Google search proves it is already possible)
http://www.renderplus.com/pdf/pdf_product.htm

On Dec 24, 8:21*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if there's a
browser widget of some sort that will allow viewers to use an "orbit"
and "zoom" tools to see all sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable models on a web
page - and that it'd make for some fantastic "how-to" pages.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if
there's a browser widget of some sort that will allow
viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom" tools to see all sides
of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable
models on a web page - and that it'd make for some
fantastic "how-to" pages.

It sounds like you looking for the "Sketchup Web Exporter". It
can be found on this page...
http://sketchup.google.com/download/plugins.html

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote
I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if there's a browser
widget of some sort that will allow viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom"
tools to see all sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable models on a web
page - and that it'd make for some fantastic "how-to" pages.

http://www.hypercosm.com/products/te...son/index.html

Free and Pro versions ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Morris Dovey" wrote
I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if
there's a browser widget of some sort that will allow
viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom" tools to see all
sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable
models on a web page - and that it'd make for some
fantastic "how-to" pages.

http://www.hypercosm.com/products/te...ketchup/compar
ison/index.html

Free and Pro versions ...

That one looks very nice but it needs Sketchup Pro. I'm using
the free version...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Morris Dovey" wrote
I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if
there's a browser widget of some sort that will allow
viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom" tools to see all
sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable
models on a web page - and that it'd make for some
fantastic "how-to" pages.

http://www.hypercosm.com/products/te...ketchup/compar
ison/index.html

Free and Pro versions ...

That one looks very nice but it needs Sketchup Pro. I'm using
the free version...

Me too, but it sounds as if the Teleporter S/W may be exactly what I was
looking for. Some of the stuff I'd like to embed in web pages is
intended only for perusal and provoking thought - where providing a
complete "live" SketchUp model would short-circuit the learning I want
to encourage.

I've downloaded both the free SketchUp Viewer and the free TelePorter
software, and will play with both.

[ I think I'm just about ripe for a holographic display device. g ]

Thanks for the suggestions and...

A very happy holiday season to all!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Morris Dovey" wrote

http://www.hypercosm.com/products/te.../sketchup/comp
ar ison/index.html

Free and Pro versions ...

That one looks very nice but it needs Sketchup Pro. I'm
using the free version...

Me too, but it sounds as if the Teleporter S/W may be
exactly what I was looking for. Some of the stuff I'd like
to embed in web pages is intended only for perusal and
provoking thought - where providing a complete "live"
SketchUp model would short-circuit the learning I want to
encourage.

I've downloaded both the free SketchUp Viewer and the free
TelePorter software, and will play with both.

[ I think I'm just about ripe for a holographic display
device. g ]

Thanks for the suggestions and...

A very happy holiday season to all!

The download I pointed you to creates jpg's at a user defined
degree interval. You are able to drag the pictures so it
appears to rotate. I *doesn't* expose your original model.
What it is lacking is the zoom function you were looking for.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:

The download I pointed you to creates jpg's at a user defined
degree interval. You are able to drag the pictures so it
appears to rotate. I *doesn't* expose your original model.
What it is lacking is the zoom function you were looking for.

Their demonstration page still looks fairly good - and my guess is that
by the time I can afford SketchUp Pro, there'll be a plugin that
provides the zoom feature, too.

I've found that a static rendering can be an improvement over even a
photographic image - see http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LLJ/ for an
example...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Larry wrote:

The download I pointed you to creates jpg's at a user defined degree
interval. You are able to drag the pictures so it appears to rotate. I
*doesn't* expose your original model. What it is lacking is the zoom
function you were looking for.

Their demonstration page still looks fairly good - and my guess is that by
the time I can afford SketchUp Pro, there'll be a plugin that provides the
zoom feature, too.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but google's web exporter can be used in any
version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Tmlko5YTU

I've found that a static rendering can be an improvement over even a
photographic image - see http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LLJ/ for an
example...

Makes a BIG difference in clarity ... damn cool joint on top of it! Can you
say "belt, suspenders, AND safety net"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Makes a BIG difference in clarity ... damn cool joint on top of it! Can you
say "belt, suspenders, AND safety net"?

Yuppers - and now I'm having altogether too much fun! On that same web
page I have a batch of 2D drawings showing how the joint could be used
to build a shop bench...

....and just for fun, I fired up SketchUp and drew a 3-1/2"x30"x96" top
upside down, then used the push-pull to extrude the legs, again to
extrude all of the stretchers, and finally again to extrude the two tool
shelves. My total elapsed time was seven minutes.

I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing
figured out I may be dangerous.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing
figured out I may be dangerous.

All the drawings I've seen to date are greyscale. Does SketchUp do colour?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing
figured out I may be dangerous.

All the drawings I've seen to date are greyscale. Does SketchUp do colour?

I think it does (Swing's cabinets were woodgrain!), but I haven't gotten
far enough to begin worrying about appearance...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing
figured out I may be dangerous.

All the drawings I've seen to date are greyscale. Does SketchUp do
colour?

I think it does (Swing's cabinets were woodgrain!), but I haven't gotten
far enough to begin worrying about appearance...

Aha! I found a can of cherry latex for the solid parts and some grain
enhancer for the cheap plywood shelves (hiding behind the paint tool).
I'll post the results to ABPW.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing
figured out I may be dangerous.

All the drawings I've seen to date are greyscale. Does SketchUp do colour?

Why, hell yeah!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

ping swingman SHOPDOG Woodworking 1 March 6th 08 08:42 PM
PING: Swingman [email protected] Woodworking 2 March 29th 06 01:07 PM
Ho, Swingman nospambob Woodworking 10 July 24th 05 07:06 PM