Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I was talking to this dude from Austin

I was at a Christmas party tonight and was talking up Texas Swing. A
guy told me to look into Texas Blues - told me that Texas Swing was
fine but that Texas Blues was better.

He gave me three names.

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.

You tell me.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 12:18*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I was at a Christmas party tonight and was talking up Texas Swing. *A
guy told me to look into Texas Blues - *told me that Texas Swing was
fine but that Texas Blues was better.

He gave me three names.

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.

You tell me.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

SRV..... that's Texas Blues. I had the pleasure of spending some time
with him on three different occasions two years apart.. a giant.

And I have had the pleasure of carrying Mr. King's flying V's guitar
case.

There is a truly legendary anecdote I can tell about something I
witnessed first hand. Something that happened between Albert King and
Stevie Ray Vaughn... in the studio in Hamilton, Ontario. Early 80's.
A bit long for here, now, and I must put it to paper one day. The two
of them got into a gunfight, Crossroads style....
Neither finished with a diminished fifth..S
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:32:38 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

....hard to imagine *anyone* hangin' with Stevie Ray...I can see Albert
King doing it, though...kinda like a Clark Terry riffin' with
Doc...never bought a BB King album...bought a couple of Albert's...

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.
You tell me.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. (RIP)
Jimmy LaFave (he's more Okie but was in the Austin scene; more
country/Dylan than blues, but DAMN fine music)

And for the best acoustic blues/folk/country:

Guy Clark.
Butch Hancock.
Townes Van Zant (RIP).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

Would that be the In Session recordings? Fantastic. Of course, everything he
did was fantastic. I have both audio and video on that. Everyone should get
the SRV box set, 3 CDs and a DVD. The DVD alone is worth the price of the
set, absolutely incredible. And let's not leave out big bro Jimmie Lee
Vaughan, who's no slouch either.

And we're going to hold you to your promise to put it to paper (or at least
pixels), the sooner the better.

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I was paid to 'hang' with him. My job was to do PR for CBC and
handling the paperwork at the airport, chauffeur, dinner company and
basic tour guide and '*ahem* physical protection.
The paperwork in Stevie's case was rather plentiful and we had to get
permission from the Prime Minister's office to get him into the
country. Pretty hefty criminal record.
One day I will publish a list of all the biggies for whom I have done
that honour. I even made some friends along the way, people I still
communicate with on a regular basis.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

I was at a Christmas party tonight and was talking up Texas Swing. A
guy told me to look into Texas Blues - told me that Texas Swing was
fine but that Texas Blues was better.

He gave me three names.

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.

You tell me.

To those add Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, T-Bone Walker, Joe Kubek, Jimmie
Vaughan, Lightnin' Hopkins, Gatemouth Brown, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Billy
Gibbons, SRV and so on, it's rich soil to plow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 12:07*pm, "Buddy Matlosz" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

That'd be the series. The first year we did the In Session series I
was involved with all of them.
If you have the broadcast versions, my name is in the credits.
Some pretty strange match-ups. All good.
But Rick Emmett and Bruce Cockburn?

Stevie and Albert...
This is one of my favourite moments though... (PS and by-the-way...I
hand-cut those In Session letters from solid brass and had them chrome
plated. They were mounted on a black back-ground and shot in one
take...life is so much easier now..not so in 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBdJkTDgbw

sorry.. the audio goes out of synch during the song.

My little anecdote was when they were warming up for this session... a
magic moment.
Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

I feel like I "shook the hand that shook the hand". That's a favorite
album of mine, and Stormy Monday's a favorite track.

I lived in Austin around 1978-84. We used to go see SRV all around
town in little joints like soap creek saloon, Liberty lunch and
Antones (which also had great barbeque for lunch). Joe Ely and Albert
Collins (was he the ice picker?) also come to mind. Anyway, Austin was
an unbelievably great town for music. I'll also add Omar and the
howlers, Roomful of blues and Marcia Ball to the list of blues
musicians from Austin (or at least they all played in town a lot).
Janis Joplin also got her start in Austin playing at Threadgills.

So, I'd say the guy at the party was right about Austin blues. I don't
know if Austin blues was a genre unto itself, but the town and the
blues have a long history together.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MB" wrote

an unbelievably great town for music. I'll also add Omar and the
howlers, ....... and Marcia Ball to the list of blues

Bingo ... I still have an original single LP "reference cut" of "Border
Girl", cut extra hot for bass 'til the needle almost jumps out of the
grooves ... AWESOME ... thanks, Bruce!

So, I'd say the guy at the party was right about Austin blues. I don't
know if Austin blues was a genre unto itself, but the town and the
blues have a long history together.

It's "TEXAS" blues, dude ... don't give that now commercial, no longer like
it was, genY burg more credit than it deserves.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 10:55 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

It's "TEXAS" blues, dude ... don't give that now commercial, no longer like
it was, genY burg more credit than it deserves.

Mid - late seventies was (to me) the best days of Austin music. Real
Texas music, from the roadhouse bars.
Musicians that were and weren't from Texas set up at every bar in
Austin, San Marcos, and San Antonio.

Personally, I really liked the old guys. I loved Freddy King (The
Texas Tornado) and some of his traveling buddies. Then of course, as
he is known here, Sir Doug with his West Side horns. (Man, was that a
treat - Remember his version of "Papa Ain't Salty No More"?) I really
liked Doug Sahm until he and Kinky Friedman would get hammered and
continue to play. As a sidebar, Doug and Kinky remained good friends
until Doug passed and on occasion would play together at small venues
around the San Antonio.

The whole corridor between San Antonio was alive with good music
then. Boy do I feel like I took that for granted now...

For as little as nothing, and as much as $5, you could see Jerry Jeff
Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Leon Russel (masquerading as Hank Wilson),
The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Johnny Rodrigues, etc., all with that
distinctive Texas twang. There were so many great guitar slingers, I
can't even remember their names. Real talented folks, too.

I remember that Asleep At the Wheel and Willie Nelson were
headquartered there in Austin, and I couldn't figure out why I had to
pay $5 to see them. So I never did.

Boy does that bring back memories...

A quart of whiskey, a pack of Kool filter kings (box) and a couple of
cheroots... more music than you could handle... what a way to spend a
day/night/morning.

I never got the hang of SRV, even though he became royalty around
here. I saw him in the mid 70s twice, both times in tiny little dumps
and never saw him sober. I thought he was weird; he had a soul patch
and wore a beret. At that time he was still searching for his own
sound and image. No tight leather pants, no leather vest or silver
concho hat in those days.

He started well, but at one show threw up on stage, and then another
time he could barely stay on the stool and left after a short second
set and never came back. We waited in that stinky, hot crap hole for
a couple of hours before they had the bartenders start telling us that
he was already gone.

Hard to believe that was 30 + years ago.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd add Kenny Wayne Shepherd to the list. His Live Alive album is one of the
best examples of Texas Blues out there. He went out on the road and recorded
sessions with many of the greats from earlier eras and just let them play
while he did backup. And Kenny Wayne is pretty incredible himself.

Gary in KC

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I was at a Christmas party tonight and was talking up Texas Swing. A
guy told me to look into Texas Blues - told me that Texas Swing was
fine but that Texas Blues was better.

He gave me three names.

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.

You tell me.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

He's not from Texas, but I really like Joe Bonnamassa.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

A question.

Since Austin is home to so many musicians, is that where "Austin City
Limits" got it's start?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 5:18*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

A question.

Since Austin is home to so many musicians, is that where "Austin City
Limits" got it's start?

Lew

Absolutely. There was a huge void when this joint closed, and they
did the best they could to fill it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_World_Headquarters

Go to the bottom of the page and look under the Legacy heading. ACL
was simply the taping (and heavy editing) of the shows that were held
here and there, reminiscent of the old Armadillo.

Check out the partial list of luminaries that were there in its ten
short years at the bottom of the page. Pretty damn impressive, and
quite a legacy for old Austin.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Check out the partial list of luminaries that were there in its ten

short years at the bottom of the page. Pretty damn impressive, and
quite a legacy for old Austin.

Quite a list.

Unfortunately for me, when Austin is mentioned, I'm reminded of the
Sunday afternoon in '66 when I flew over the tower in Austin in a
small airplane headed for San Angelo.

(The major airlines were on strike and private planes were about it).

The following day, some idiot crawled up into that tower and started
killing people with a high powered rifle.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

New Orleans Jazz Fest. I have family and friends who have made it to
the NOLA Jazzfest many times and are always looking to get back there
again. I finally went with them this past year. Now I understand. If
you're a jazz or blues fan, don't go to your grave without getting
there. The non-stop great music, the food, the fun-loving and
appreciative crowd, - it's all good. Grab some lawn chairs and a
cooler and get to the plane on time.

Just look at the list of names for the weekends.

http://www.nojazzfest.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"KIMOSABE" wrote:

New Orleans Jazz Fest. I have family and friends who have made it
the NOLA Jazzfest many times and are always looking to get back
there
again. I finally went with them this past year. Now I understand.
If
you're a jazz or blues fan, don't go to your grave without getting
there. The non-stop great music, the food, the fun-loving and
appreciative crowd, - it's all good. Grab some lawn chairs and a
cooler and get to the plane on time.

Yep.

Local Cleveland radio station that played jazz/blues 24/7 ran a
contest to attend NOJF, which I won.

Severe weather the day before had knocked down many of the tents, but
things got sorted out.

The music was good, but oh the food, it was to die for.

Still have a picture someplace of a guy sitting in a chair, bowl
between his knees, shucking and eating mud bugs like they were peanuts
in the shell, listening to the live music.

He was a happy man.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Local Cleveland radio station that played jazz/blues 24/7 ran a contest to
attend NOJF, which I won.

Thou sucketh big time. I never won anything like that.

Sounds like a good time to be had by all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Thou sucketh big time. I never won anything like that.

Sounds like a good time to be had by all.

The best part was the weather.

This was early May.

When we left Cleveland, it was spitting snow.

When we got to NO, severe weather had moved thru, and it was shirt
sleeve weather.

My cold body soaked it up.

BTW, the return trip sucked.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote in
:

I was at a Christmas party tonight and was talking up Texas Swing. A
guy told me to look into Texas Blues - told me that Texas Swing was
fine but that Texas Blues was better.

He gave me three names.

Joe Ely.

Albert King.

Texas Troubadours.

I grew up in Pennsylvania.

You tell me.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Look up Wild West Radio on the www.loudcity.com website. Some Good
Stuff, especially if you are an old Fathead (you know if you are).

http://www.loudcity.com/stations/wild-west-radio#

Also has a Shoutcast stream available in your Winamp player.

One Dollar Juana
Posted to rec.woodworking

When we left Cleveland, it was spitting snow.

Lew

You still in Cleveland, Lew?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

You still in Cleveland, Lew?

These days I'm in SoCal.

Got tired of being up to my armpits in 6 ft of "partly cloudy", from
Nov to May.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

You still in Cleveland, Lew?

These days I'm in SoCal.

Got tired of being up to my armpits in 6 ft of "partly cloudy", from
Nov to May.

Lew

Tell me about it. I grew up in the snow belt.
It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

Tell me about it. I grew up in the snow belt.
It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

What part of the SB?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

Tell me about it. I grew up in the snow belt.
It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

What part of the SB?

Lew

Every part, including Chardon, which would be considered the "buckle."
I lived all over western Geauga county and eastern Cuyahoga county.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 2:14*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[snipped for effect]

It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

Hence the hefty sales of SUV's and Hummers. EG Got to compensate
somehow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 4:26*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 23, 2:14*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[snipped for effect]

It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

Hence the hefty sales of SUV's and Hummers. EG Got to compensate
somehow.

...okay... that was too easy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 23, 4:26 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 23, 2:14 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[snipped for effect]

It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

Hence the hefty sales of SUV's and Hummers. EG Got to compensate
somehow.

..okay... that was too easy

I started to reply, but I thought, I'm not going to encourage him. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

Every part, including Chardon, which would be considered the
"buckle."
I lived all over western Geauga county and eastern Cuyahoga county.

That definitely would be the snow belt.

I much preferred the West side, less snow, closer to the airport.

Ever buy anything from "Price Cutter" who runs his operation out of
Chardon?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I much preferred the West side, less snow, closer to the airport.

amraP Pink Flamingos :-)

Ever buy anything from "Price Cutter" who runs his operation out of
Chardon?

Lew

No Lew, I like to buy things at a good price. :-)

Woodline is right down the road, in a Nashville suburb.
I can walk in and get all touchy feely with the stuff.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 23, 2:14 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[snipped for effect]

It's comical to see TN people deal with 2 inches.

Hence the hefty sales of SUV's and Hummers. EG Got to compensate
somehow.

I was behind a black H2 today, at a red light on Rt. 66, in Middlefield,
Connecticut. In front of Guida's Restaurant, heading west, if you're
familiar with the area...

He had a license plate frame that said:
"You're dreaming it, I'm living it."

I wish I could have an H2... G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

He had a license plate frame that said:
"You're dreaming it, I'm living it."

I wish I could have an H2... G

You mean like the Arnold drives?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

amraP Pink Flamingos :-)

Naw, white sock country was too close to town.

No Lew, I like to buy things at a good price. :-)

Woodline is right down the road, in a Nashville suburb.
I can walk in and get all touchy feely with the stuff.

Touchy feely has a price.

I despise retail and have a thing for UPS.

If I can't pick up the phone or go on line and place an order, not
sure I truly need the product.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 8:23*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote:

He had a license plate frame that said:
"You're dreaming it, I'm living it."

I wish I could have an H2... *G

You mean like the Arnold drives?

Lew

Ahnoled drive the big HumVee. The 'real' one. Look at from either
behind or the front. If you see differentials, it ain't a 'real' one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Woodline is right down the road, in a Nashville suburb.
I can walk in and get all touchy feely with the stuff.

Touchy feely has a price.

I despise retail and have a thing for UPS.

They're nowhere close to retail.
Dusty warehouse with pallets all over the place.
They're all internet/mailorder.... but nice to the locals.

If I can't pick up the phone or go on line and place an order, not
sure I truly need the product.

You're preachin to the choir. But I'm always seeing stuff on websites
and wishing I could get my hands on it to make sure it's as beefy as it
looks or the exact right size or whatever.

Then there's the supporting the local economy aspect.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Ahnoled drive the big HumVee. The 'real' one. Look at from either

behind or the front. If you see differentials, it ain't a 'real' one.

All I know is Arnold has two (2) of them.

One runs on hydrogen, the other on biodiesel.

Spent $100K of his own money to prove to the GM brain trust that the
hummer could be made street legal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahnoled drive the big HumVee. The 'real' one. Look at from either
behind or the front. If you see differentials, it ain't a 'real' one.

Isn't the H2 just a GMC pickup truck with a big, gaudy fiberglass body?

Reminds me of all the dorky American cars that come out with a sport
version and call it the "GT."
You know what the GT stands for?
Goofy Trim.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Ahnoled drive the big HumVee. The 'real' one. Look at from either
behind or the front. If you see differentials, it ain't a 'real'
one.

Isn't the H2 just a GMC pickup truck with a big, gaudy fiberglass
body?

Reminds me of all the dorky American cars that come out with a sport
version and call it the "GT."
You know what the GT stands for?
Goofy Trim.

H2 and H3 are both glorified Suburbans or some such.

H1 was the real deal. Interesting note--GM owns the "Hummer" brand
but never owned the design, which continues to belong AM General,
which is not a part of GM. Meanwhile AM General has their own brand,
"Humvee", which is a registered trademark. Whether they have a
street-legal civilian model though I have no idea.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)