Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

"Han" wrote in message
Jack Stein wrote in
:

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...

I downloaded and uninstalled SU about 2 or 3 times before I finally figured
out how to use it. A few on line tutorials really help get the wheels
spinning. I have been using AutoCAD LT since 97 and have been using CAD
programs in general since 86. I am finding that SU will pretty much do what
everything that AutoCAD LT would do with a very few exceptions. The big
trick for me is learning/remembering to draw components and assemble the
drawing with those components. I tend to want to draw every thing in place
and that does not work out real well with SU especially if you want to
relocate a particular group of lines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Han" wrote in message
Jack Stein wrote in
:

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...

I downloaded and uninstalled SU about 2 or 3 times before I finally
figured out how to use it. A few on line tutorials really help get the
wheels spinning. I have been using AutoCAD LT since 97 and have been
using CAD programs in general since 86. I am finding that SU will pretty
much do what everything that AutoCAD LT would do with a very few
exceptions. The big trick for me is learning/remembering to draw
components and assemble the drawing with those components. I tend to want
to draw every thing in place and that does not work out real well with SU
especially if you want to relocate a particular group of lines.

It helps greatly to group things into components, and
sub-sub-sub-....-sub-components. (It's conveniently mapped to the 'G' key by
default.) You don't have to always break things down to individual boards or
sticks, but maybe start that way and find some level of granularity that's
comfortable. For example, drawers or paneled doors might be comfortable as a
single part, or you might prefer to work with a grouping of simple sticks.
Keep some "cutters" around to cope the ends of sticks, etc. I tend to work
in place also. Other 3D CAD systems formalize the relationships as parts and
sub-assemblies. You should do the same. Keep the outliner and components
windows open even if you have to sacrifice some screen space to do so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

and it seemed easy enough by just selecting and moving part of the design.
I haven't tried it yet, but on your base cabinet, which I grabbed, I
attempted to select part of it but it didn't select as shown in the
video... I spent 30 seconds on it though, will try again with the
tutorial in hand.

On the scaling issue: On normal models you will see scaling handles on all
three of the x,y,z axis. On a dynamic component the creator can constrain
the model to respond only to the axis he wants you to see, and he can hide
the rest.

Since a base cabinet is almost always 34 1/2" high (z axis), and 24" deep (y
axis), there is no need to use the scaling handles for these two axis'.

On these particular models, you may have to "orbit" the model slightly to
that you can clearly see one of the side panels in order to see the x axis
(width) scaling handle ... there should be on either side. On the wall
cabinet you should see two scaling handles, one for height (z) and one for
width (x).

I'm still not too clear on whether the professional version has
capabilities a hobbyist would need?

Other than the ability to create "dynamic components", there is no
functional difference between the Free and the Pro versions. Both versions
can _use_ dynamic components, but they can only be _created_ in the Pro
version.

The Pro version also has many more importing, exporting, and printing
options, in addition to a presentation program/function called "Layout" that
acts like programs similar to PageMaker, which allows you to create
presentation documents, plans, etc from models.

IOW, there is nothing I can draw with the Pro version that you can't draw
with the Free.

I'm not too clear on what dynamic components are? I haven't figured out
yet how to resize things to scale yet, but I watched a video on Fine
Woodworking (thanks for that link) and it seemed easy enough by just
selecting and moving part of the design. I haven't tried it yet, but on
your base cabinet, which I grabbed, I attempted to select part of it but
it didn't select as shown in the video... I spent 30 seconds on it
though, will try again with the tutorial in hand.

There is apparently a bug in SU7 on some systems that, when downloading and
then opening a dynamic component, you may have to "explode" the component
_one_ time to get it to work.

However, try this before doing that: Single click the model to select it;
then on the toolbar go to Window/Component Options and click.

This should bring up the "Component Options" window, and, if a list box
should appear with dimensions on it, you're fine and don't need to do
anything else, except to select whatever dimension you want, click Apply,
and the model will resize to your chosen dimension.

If you see the sentence "There are no options to choose on this component",
then context/right click on the model and chose "explode", then go back and
try the above again. That should fix it.

I'm hoping that is not something only in the pro version..

It's not ... dynamic components can be _used_ by the free version of
SketchUP7 with no problem.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I downloaded and uninstalled SU about 2 or 3 times before I finally
figured out how to use it. A few on line tutorials really help get the
wheels spinning. I have been using AutoCAD LT since 97 and have been
using CAD programs in general since 86. I am finding that SU will pretty
much do what everything that AutoCAD LT would do with a very few
exceptions. The big trick for me is learning/remembering to draw
components and assemble the drawing with those components. I tend to want
to draw every thing in place and that does not work out real well with SU
especially if you want to relocate a particular group of lines.

Other than the obvious advantage/ability to make one change to a
"component", and have that change reflected in all copies of that component,
there is an added advantage, reason to do so:

If you build the model from parts (components and groups), like you would do
a woodworking project, and name them correctly, a cutlist is automatically
done for you, by name, by the CutList plug-in.

Have you tried the plug-in yet? A must have, since you own CutListPlus!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

I'm not too clear on what dynamic components are?

Moving pictures are worth a bailout quantity of words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVW5X-tb8s

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

[...]

LOL.. NO! I have not. I've been too busy building fences and ball point
pens. If you are using it, or rather can you show me that function the next
time we get together. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I'm not too clear on what dynamic components are? I haven't figured out
yet how to resize things to scale yet, but I watched a video on Fine
Woodworking (thanks for that link) and it seemed easy enough by just
selecting and moving part of the design. I haven't tried it yet, but on
your base cabinet, which I grabbed, I attempted to select part of it but
it didn't select as shown in the video... I spent 30 seconds on it
though, will try again with the tutorial in hand.

There is apparently a bug in SU7 on some systems that, when downloading and
then opening a dynamic component, you may have to "explode" the component
_one_ time to get it to work.

OK, I spent a bit more time on the Tutorial on FW and managed to get it
to work. Here is the link:

http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/i...etailed-drawer

I first did it to something I made, and then to your base cabinet. I
exploded the thing first but not sure yet exactly what "explode" does,
or if I had to do it first or not. This worked pretty good, and I was
impressed that after resizing the drawer I was working on, the
dimensions I had made also changed to show the correct size.

However, try this before doing that: Single click the model to select it;
then on the toolbar go to Window/Component Options and click.

This should bring up the "Component Options" window, and, if a list box
should appear with dimensions on it, you're fine and don't need to do
anything else, except to select whatever dimension you want, click Apply,
and the model will resize to your chosen dimension.

I got the list box, but no dimensions.

If you see the sentence "There are no options to choose on this component",
then context/right click on the model and chose "explode", then go back and
try the above again. That should fix it.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Sometimes little subtilities bite
you in the ass on this thing.

The scale tool I have all sorts of trouble with. I haven't spent much
time with it though. I kind of like the FW tutorial I listed above.
Once I figured out the correct steps to use, it worked well. I can make
your basic case any size I want and I'm sure once I figure out how to
get the scale tool to work, It'll be even easier. This thing is awesome
in it's power.

Those of you that tried several times, hang in there, it is worth the
effort. It is NOT something most can learn in a few days. It does SO
much stuff it can be overwhelming, particularly when you try to force
feed the learning process. Thats what I do and frankly, I'm not smart
enough to conceptualize all this stuff in an instant, it takes time, and
for me, I get frustrated and quit for a while. So, while it is VERY easy
to use, learning how it all works is a bit of a curve because it does so
much.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

I first did it to something I made, and then to your base cabinet. I
exploded the thing first but not sure yet exactly what "explode" does, or
if I had to do it first or not. This worked pretty good, and I was
impressed that after resizing the drawer I was working on, the dimensions
I had made also changed to show the correct size.

However, try this before doing that: Single click the model to select
it; then on the toolbar go to Window/Component Options and click.

This should bring up the "Component Options" window, and, if a list box
should appear with dimensions on it, you're fine and don't need to do
anything else, except to select whatever dimension you want, click Apply,
and the model will resize to your chosen dimension.

I got the list box, but no dimensions.

That probably because you "exploded" the model (broke the base cabinet
itself into its sub-components). It is the base cabinet itself, as a single
component, that is "dynamic" and responds to changes in the list box. If you
"explode" past that level, it won't work.

If you double click on "DC-BaseCabinet.skp", and it is opened by SketchUp,
you should not have to explode it.

Remember, "dynamic components" only work in SketchUp7.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Been playing around with creating "dynamic components", using that new
feature now available in SketchUp7-Pro.

Below is a file that contains two .skp files, one for Base Cabinet FF's, and
one for Wall Cabinet FF's. (Be sure to open any folder if it downloads that
way):

This is my first try with DC's, so let me know if something doesn't work,
and any comments welcome.

I right clicked on the face frame and at the bottom of the pop up window
was "dynamic components". Clicking on that brings up "component
options". This all worked as expected. I was opening the components
window, and clicking on "view options"... I'm sure you explained this
before, but my attention span is decreasing day by day... Anyway,
worked great. I had clicked on dynamic components and component options
a number of times when perusing SU but every time it said, no options
available or some such. Now I see what it is.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com