DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Melamine sheets? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/265993-melamine-sheets.html)

[email protected] December 1st 08 04:36 PM

Melamine sheets?

Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Cheers

EXT December 1st 08 05:09 PM

Melamine sheets?

In the past I have purchased melamine coated particle board in 2 x 4 foot
and 4 x 8 foot sheets, actually the 4 x 8 foot sheets are 49" x 97" in size
to account for the chipping that can occur on the edges with handling.

basilisk December 1st 08 05:35 PM

Melamine sheets?

" wrote in message
Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Cheers

I have purchased some at the big blue box that was 16 inches,
I use it for radial arm saw tops.
That doesn't answer your question, 16 inches is still shelving width.

Basilisk

Limp Arbor December 1st 08 05:54 PM

Melamine sheets?

On Dec 1, 11:36*am, " wrote:
Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? *I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Cheers

BS

I've bought it at either Big Blue or Big Orange in a 49 x 97 sheet, I
just don't remember which one.

I've also been told by tarts at HD "they don't make 2x4s anymore"...

[email protected] December 1st 08 06:16 PM

Melamine sheets?

wrote:
Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Uh, they have 4' by 8' sheets of the stuff at my local Lowe's.
I assume you mean melamine already bonded to chipcore. White
Formica would come in big sheets if you are looking to adhere
something to an already constructed piece.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Pat Barber December 1st 08 08:48 PM

Melamine sheets?

Most Home Depot's and some Lowes carry 4x8 sheets of melamine.

In most larger towns, there will also be a professional
cabinet builder supply that will carry the larger sheets.

Melamine has fell from favor in cabinets and has become
harder to find.

Be aware that a 4x8 sheet of melamine is VERY heavy and
very slick and difficult to deal with.

It will require a high count(80+ tooth) blade for chip
free cuts.

Doug Miller December 1st 08 11:27 PM

Melamine sheets?

In article , " wrote:
Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Home Depot sells it in 49" x 97" sheets. Doubtless, the droids working on the
aisle where they sell shelving are completely unaware of this, but if you just
walk over to the lumber department where they keep the plywood, you shouldn't
have any trouble finding it.

Lew Hodgett[_4_] December 1st 08 11:29 PM

Melamine sheets?

Subject

IMHO, much too stiff for a roll in the hay.

Lew

Doug Miller December 2nd 08 12:19 AM

Melamine sheets?

In article , "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

IMHO, much too stiff for a roll in the hay.

Not to mention too slick.

B A R R Y December 2nd 08 12:22 AM

Melamine sheets?

wrote:
Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"?

Yes.

I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Funny! My Home Depot and Lowes stores STOCK 4x8 melamine sheets! G

Puckdropper[_2_] December 2nd 08 01:27 AM

Melamine sheets?

" wrote in news:630fab23-dd2f-4c5b-
:

Is it possible to purchase melamine sheets like the kind used for
shelving in widths greater than 11 7/8"? I asked at my local HD and
Lowes, and building supply companies with no success, both bigbox
places said it was not manufactured any larger than shelving width.

Cheers

My local HD store was getting rid of them at $6 a 4x8 sheet. I should have
bought more, but I was limited by my storage options. Menards still has
them at $36 a 4x8 sheet.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.