DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat???? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/26280-ot-gloat-%3D-possibly-my-lifetime-gloat.html)

crk133 January 15th 04 07:48 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

situation:

1992 dodge caravan 260,000 miles breaking in nearly every way. friday
the transmission started going

solution:

mother in-law comes to visit. how many glaots start this way?????

tells my wife "we talked about it and we want to buy you a new car, do
you know what you want?".........and here we go......2004 silverado
extended cab 4x4 Z71 with towing and power package as well as the load
of other stuff......

i am soooo happy i can't beleive it!!!! oh and the other great part
my wife said to me "that is your new car its too showy for
me".......someone please wake me up...on second thought dont!!

i guess really it is only slightly OT gloat beacuse you can haul
lumber and tools right?

so we are off to buy it tonight =)

??? January 15th 04 09:12 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

Sounds great, but they have your balls in a vice for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!
Can you hear it now?
wife: "Lets go on vacation with my mom and dad"
you: "I don't think thats a good idea"
wife: "its the least we can do, they DID buy you a new truck!"

No thanks, I like to buy my own vehicles and keep my balls in tact.

om...

Mike Coonrod January 15th 04 09:20 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

Have you no shame. This sounds nice but I know I would not want this
hanging for my head....

Mark Jerde January 15th 04 09:51 PM

??? wrote:
Sounds great, but they have your balls in a vice for the REST OF YOUR
LIFE! Can you hear it now?
wife: "Lets go on vacation with my mom and dad"
you: "I don't think thats a good idea"
wife: "its the least we can do, they DID buy you a new truck!"

No thanks, I like to buy my own vehicles and keep my balls in tact.

This all depends on the attitude of the giver. And the receiver. (Since we
know how the receiver feels about it g I'll just talk about the giver
side.)

I know of *large* gifts (like new cars) that came with *absolutely* *no*
strings attached. On the flip side, I know of small gifts that were
positively dripping with obligation. The size of the gift really doesn't
matter.

Look at the situation from the parents-in-law point of view. Suppose their
daughter and her husband are important to them. Suppose they don't want to
go to a funeral because these important people were driving a worn-out POS.
Suppose they're well enough off that writing the check doesn't affect their
retirement. On the cynical side, suppose they are reducing the inheritance
taxes by gifting away money now while they're alive. Why not write the
check if everyone's cool about it?

When I was in high school I was going to the state basketball tourney about
350 miles away. My wheels (owned by dad) were on a marginal Pinto. When I
got home there was a new bottom-of-the-line Mercury Comet in the drive. He
didn't want me driving a marginal car 700+ miles, and he had the $ to make
the change.

To me this is a similar situation. Major gloat IMO. ;-)

-- Mark

Mark Jerde January 15th 04 10:09 PM

Mark Jerde wrote:

When I was in high school I was going to the state basketball tourney
about 350 miles away. My wheels (owned by dad) were on a marginal
Pinto. When I got home there was a new bottom-of-the-line Mercury
Comet in the drive. He didn't want me driving a marginal car 700+
miles, and he had the $ to make the change.

BTW, this bothered the h*ll out of me at the time. None of my friends
families were able to do that. Everyone else was carpooling down in their
semi-POS's. And the Comet was no more cool than the Pinto.

It took me years to learn to give and receive graciously. America is the,
"I Did It Myyyyyy Waaaaaaay!" culture. In other cultures large gifts from
one generation to the next are more common.

-- Mark

Mark January 15th 04 10:13 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

Since no one else said it yet........ YOU TRULY DO SUCK!!!!!!!!!! G
Yeh, nice gloat. Congrats. Mark

stoutman January 15th 04 10:15 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

Nice!

Since you wont be needing that old car anymore, why not donate it to
charity?

http://www.donateacar.com/

The Davenports January 16th 04 03:50 AM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

Sounds great, but they have your balls in a vice for the REST OF YOUR

LIFE!
Can you hear it now?
wife: "Lets go on vacation with my mom and dad"
you: "I don't think thats a good idea"
wife: "its the least we can do, they DID buy you a new truck!"

No thanks, I like to buy my own vehicles and keep my balls in tact.

snippage about the in-law's buying a dude a car

Minor correction...they MIGHT have his balls in a vice forever.

If they do, chances are that they are the type of people that already HAVE
his balls there.

If, on the other hand, the in-law's are like mine, the gift would have been
absolutely string free. (And yes, that would be a drive-by)(no pun
intended)

If it had been my ex-in-law's, well, let's just say that I would not have
taken the truck since I like my balls right where they are.

And it's possible that they may just be spreading the estate before probate
can get its greedy hands on it, too.

Mike

crk133 January 16th 04 01:21 PM

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat????

i am a bit disappointed, you guys are generaly being a bit too
pessimistic. but i wont let that get me down as i will be rididng in
a nice and shiny pick- up for years to come

Look at the situation from the parents-in-law point of view. Suppose

their
daughter and her husband are important to them. Suppose they don't

want to
go to a funeral because these important people were driving a

worn-out POS.
Suppose they're well enough off that writing the check doesn't affect

their
retirement.

that was their reasoning and that their parents did it for them. they
are generous and very nice people, they just wanted to help us out.

BTW, this bothered the h*ll out of me at the time. None of my

friends
families were able to do that. Everyone else was carpooling down in

their
semi-POS's.

that is why i will be driving it. my wife is still in school and most
of her friends drive cars that make our woody van look nice........

Have you no shame. This sounds nice but I know I would not want this
hanging for my head....

we did refuse most persistantly but they won after several days.

Since you wont be needing that old car anymore, why not donate it to
charity? http://www.donateacar.com/

i will look into it. we actually put off signing the papers until
tonight so the dealer can detail it.

Since no one else said it yet........ YOU TRULY DO SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh, nice gloat. Congrats.

thank you..that is all i wanted to hear :)

Does your wife have a sister?

yep, still in college though

B a r r y B u r k e J r . January 16th 04 05:43 PM

On 16 Jan 2004 05:21:35 -0800, (crk133) wrote:

i am a bit disappointed, you guys are generaly being a bit too
pessimistic. but i wont let that get me down as i will be rididng in
a nice and shiny pick- up for years to come

I personally think borrowing or accepting mega-gifts from the parents
or in-laws changes the taste of Thanksgiving dinner. It's not like it
hasn't come up on occasion, as both sets of parents have done quite
well in life.

My wife and I have GREAT relationships with my parents and in-laws.
I've often thought that standing on our own two feet has a lot to do
with it. Our siblings have accepted such help, and have vastly
different relationships with their parents. One of my wife's
sisters lives with the in-laws, with her eight year old son,
constantly complaining that she isn't treated like an adult.

I have done work for the in-laws, the latest job being custom made
cabinet doors I let them buy the materials. After the job was
complete, they thanked me with a Woodcraft gift certificate, which I
gladly accepted.

If you currently have a great car, and they offered to buy you an even
nicer model, things might be different. You are driving a crap-box,
they're worried about you, so they feel that they are helping you out.

They're bailing you out, dude.

Enjoy your new truck.

Barry

Phisherman January 16th 04 11:50 PM

On 15 Jan 2004 11:48:58 -0800, (crk133) wrote:

situation:

1992 dodge caravan 260,000 miles breaking in nearly every way. friday
the transmission started going

solution:

mother in-law comes to visit. how many glaots start this way?????

tells my wife "we talked about it and we want to buy you a new car, do
you know what you want?".........and here we go......2004 silverado
extended cab 4x4 Z71 with towing and power package as well as the load
of other stuff......

i am soooo happy i can't beleive it!!!! oh and the other great part
my wife said to me "that is your new car its too showy for
me".......someone please wake me up...on second thought dont!!

i guess really it is only slightly OT gloat beacuse you can haul
lumber and tools right?

so we are off to buy it tonight =)

I envy you. The only thing I have to haul lumber is a Honda
hatchback, but I do rent a truck a couple times a year with the
insurance savings.