Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Default Cafe doors:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to install saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$ 30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make them ,or if
it would be more effort than worth?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to
install
saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$
30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make
them ,or
if
it would be more effort than worth?

Once finished the basement using standard window louvered shutters as
cafe doors.

Door casings were painted gloss black, cafe doors were fire engine
red.

Floor was red shag rug.

Looked like an old time saloon straight out of Gunsmoke.

Used standard millwork soft woods suitable for painting.

What material are you being quoted for $140?

If you want louvered, would not even think about making my own.

Remember the NYW project?

Special molding cutters, jigs and fixtures up the kazoo.

Starts making $140 look like a steal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message
Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to install

saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$ 30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make them ,or

if
it would be more effort than worth?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...38&cat=3,41241

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 10, 1:16*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"sal" wrote:
[...]

Hell yes... I just spent 140 just thinking about it...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"sal" wrote:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to
install
saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$
30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make
them ,or
if
it would be more effort than worth?

snip

If you want louvered, would not even think about making my own.

Unless one wants them of walnut. Ot mahogany, maple, butternut, hickory,
oak or anything else that doesn't cry out to be painted.
___________

Special molding cutters, jigs and fixtures up the kazoo.

One can make very nice louvered doors with nothing more than a saw (table or
radial arm) and a palm sander. A drum sander helps too but isn't totally
needed. No jigs/fixtures necessary.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to install
saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$ 30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make them ,or
if
it would be more effort than worth?

Sal

All the points made were good, but one was overlooked. How much would it be
worth to "you" to be able to say, "I made those?" The actual constuction
would not be too difficult. Norm made a jig for cutting the slat mortises
on a louvered door that should be easy enough to find. After you build the
jig, it should be a piece of cake.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 19:48:58 -0500, "sal" wrote:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to install saloon
type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$ 30x44
inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make them ,or if
it would be more effort than worth?

Sal

not hard to make but have you priced the bommer hinges you will need?
OUCH!!!!!

skeez