DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Q splitter (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/260634-q-splitter.html)

CC September 18th 08 05:09 AM

Q splitter

Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter
that went into the curf of a long board being ripped?
It looked like an upside down T with a wing nut or star wheel
on it, It was placed in the curf after the board passed through
the blade and keeping the curf from closing and also supported
both sides of the offcut.
Thanks to anyone that may have a link to someone selling them
CC

Lew Hodgett[_2_] September 18th 08 05:34 AM

Q splitter

"CC" wrote:

Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter
that went into the curf of a long board being ripped?

Why not make one?

An 8-32 bolt, couple of fender washers and a wing nut.

(8-32 for 1/8 kerf)

Lew

CC September 18th 08 11:57 AM

Q splitter

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"CC" wrote:

Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter
that went into the curf of a long board being ripped?

Why not make one?

An 8-32 bolt, couple of fender washers and a wing nut.

(8-32 for 1/8 kerf)

Lew

Thanks Lew, That would work, but the tool is about 3" or so in length
and would offer more support. If I can't find it, I will probably end
up doing that
CC

Upscale September 18th 08 02:44 PM

Q splitter

"CC" wrote in message
Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter
that went into the curf of a long board being ripped?
It looked like an upside down T with a wing nut or star wheel
on it, It was placed in the curf after the board passed through
the blade and keeping the curf from closing and also supported
both sides of the offcut.

I have two of them I bought a number of years ago. Seldom used, but very
handy little tools when they're needed.

Upscale September 18th 08 02:51 PM

Q splitter

"CC" wrote in message
Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter
that went into the curf of a long board being ripped?

I remember now, the ones I have were called Kerf Keepers. Did a google on
that name and only came up with discussion and some patent applications, no
one actually selling them.

Pat Barber September 18th 08 04:27 PM

Q splitter

Not the same, but a handy cheap splitter...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41080,41165

Lee Gordon September 18th 08 06:03 PM

Q splitter

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but it performs basically
the same function.

http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

CC September 18th 08 10:06 PM

Q splitter

Thanks Lee, But Upscale had the right ones, "kerf Keepers".
I wanted to be able to support both sides of a long cutoff and
to keep them from closing up when being cut, I saw plans for
making some out of a couple pieces of flat metal hangers but
if I can find these I'd be a lot happier
CC

. ..

J. Clarke September 18th 08 11:54 PM

Q splitter

CC wrote:
Thanks Lee, But Upscale had the right ones, "kerf Keepers".
I wanted to be able to support both sides of a long cutoff and
to keep them from closing up when being cut, I saw plans for
making some out of a couple pieces of flat metal hangers but
if I can find these I'd be a lot happier

There appears to be a set of three Jorgensen "Kerfkeepers" up on ebay
at the moment
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-3-PONY-%2...16106008r24841.

If that link doesn't work just go to ebay and search on "kerfkeepers".
Right now they're at about 20 bucks for the three with three days to
go.

CC

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
. ..
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but it performs
basically the same function.

http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Upscale September 19th 08 10:02 AM

Q splitter

"CC" wrote in message
I found that after learning what they were called and have bid on them
thanks

One thing to check on if you're buying used and pick them up in person. Make
sure the vertical part that's welded to the bottom piece isn't about to
break off. They're the weakest part of the assembly. The two I have never
reached that point, but I did notice how easily the vertical parts would
bend where they were welded on. Repeated unintentional bending would weaken
that area to the point of separating.

CC September 19th 08 08:37 PM

Q splitter

"Upscale" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message
I found that after learning what they were called and have bid on
them
thanks

One thing to check on if you're buying used and pick them up in
person. Make
sure the vertical part that's welded to the bottom piece isn't about
break off. They're the weakest part of the assembly. The two I have
never
reached that point, but I did notice how easily the vertical parts
would
bend where they were welded on. Repeated unintentional bending would
weaken
that area to the point of separating.

I will keep that in mind if I can find a set to look at first, I
emailed Jorgenson and they
said they had not made them in about 15 years or longer, They also did
not know of
anyone making anything similar. I'm trying to get a set used now, If
not, I will make something
that will work
CC