DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glueing corners (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/260180-glueing-corners.html)

Eigenvector September 14th 08 12:18 AM

Glueing corners

I was reading up on this, seeing how I have to finish the skirts on my
table, and someone was suggesting
This:
"Forget the clamps, here is the deal. Rip the edges at 45°, pass it on the
jointer, lay the two parts face up on a table with the edges touching. Lay a
piece of 2" masking tape down the seam, turn it over, squirt some glue in
the joint, then fold it closed. Let it dry. You will never do it any other
way." (Sorry I don't know the source's name, it wasn't posted where I found
the information)

I was thinking, damn, that's a pretty ingenous way to do it. Keeps the
outside corners together and the weight of the wood will keep the inside
corners touching. I'll have to give it a try tonight, see if it passes
muster.

dpb September 14th 08 12:50 AM

Glueing corners

Eigenvector wrote:
I was thinking, damn, that's a pretty ingenous way to do it. Keeps the
outside corners together and the weight of the wood will keep the inside
corners touching. I'll have to give it a try tonight, see if it passes
muster.

Yep, it works swell. Just remember to do the dry fit first like always
to make sure everything closes like it's supposed to.

Chris September 14th 08 04:20 AM

Glueing corners

Eigenvector wrote:
I was reading up on this, seeing how I have to finish the skirts on my
table, and someone was suggesting
This:
"Forget the clamps, here is the deal. Rip the edges at 45°, pass it on
the jointer, lay the two parts face up on a table with the edges
touching. Lay a piece of 2" masking tape down the seam, turn it over,
squirt some glue in the joint, then fold it closed. Let it dry. You will
never do it any other way." (Sorry I don't know the source's name, it
wasn't posted where I found the information)

I was thinking, damn, that's a pretty ingenous way to do it. Keeps the
outside corners together and the weight of the wood will keep the inside
corners touching. I'll have to give it a try tonight, see if it passes
muster.

Been doing that for years. It works great.

Chris