DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HP/Amps (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/260023-re-hp-amps.html)

Robatoy[_2_] September 11th 08 05:55 PM

HP/Amps

On Sep 11, 12:45*pm, wrote:
My new edge sander was delivered today, Grizzly 6x80. *In the version
of the manual on the website they list it as 1.5 HP 16A/8A. *But in
the manual that came with it and on the nameplate on the motor it says
1.5 HP 20A/10A.

Now I should probably run a dedicated 220V line to it regardless, but
for the time being I thought I was going to be fine on my 20A 110V
circuit. *I just think it's very weird because if it's really drawing
20A then why are they calling it 1.5 HP? *20A should give 2 HP. *I was
under the impression that they couldn't lie about the amps, but HP
ratings were more fudge-able. *It's a 1725 RPM motor, and looking at
the motors Grizzly has in their catalog the 1.5 HP 1725RPM model draws
17A, whereas the 3450RPM draws 15.6. *So I suppose that can explain a
bit of why the number is higher than I expect, but not all of it.
Have they just found a new source of really inefficient motors?

I wired it for 110 and it ran fine with no belt on it, but that
doesn't really mean anything. *I need to build a stand for it and get
it up on that before I start bolting on all the tables and whatnot so
it's going to be a while before I can test it under load.

756 watts per HP @ 100% efficiency. Most electrical motors run around
90% or so. Sooooo let's call it 1000 watfs per HP 12.5 amps at 120 V
will get you your horse-and-a-half. 6.25 amps at 240 V

Tom Veatch September 12th 08 07:29 AM

HP/Amps

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:22:27 GMT, "stu" wrote:

Sooooo let's call it 1000 watfs per HP 12.5 amps at 120 V
will get you your horse-and-a-half. 6.25 amps at 240 V

That should be fairly close to typical. The 3HP motor in my cabinet
saw claims to pull 14 amps at 240v

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Bored Borg September 12th 08 09:57 AM

HP/Amps

er... isn't the starting current somewhat higher than the running current -
(Back EMF and such?)

What's your fuse rating? If it's a slo-blo spec that would usually indicate
that a startup surge is expected and it will draw considerably more juice at
switch-on than when performing. In this case you can't relate ampage to
horses.

Is this what we're talking abiut, or have I missed the point?
(Sorry, I'm not really familiar with 110 v stuff 'cos we don't have it here
in domestics.)