DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing nails from a nail gun (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/259862-removing-nails-nail-gun.html)

trvlnmny September 9th 08 10:46 PM

Removing nails from a nail gun

I have been asked to do a repair on a piece of furniture. A piece of
1" pine measuring 6" x 18" has fallen off. the piece was assembled
using a nail gun with 6 nails at each end. These things protrude about
1" on the back side of the piece. Unlike nails which I could hammer
out these are to small and just bend.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these easily?
Thanks for any and all help.

Tim W September 9th 08 10:49 PM

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have been asked to do a repair on a piece of furniture. A piece of
1" pine measuring 6" x 18" has fallen off. the piece was assembled
using a nail gun with 6 nails at each end. These things protrude about
1" on the back side of the piece. Unlike nails which I could hammer
out these are to small and just bend.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these easily?
Thanks for any and all help.

Pull them all the way through. It's the same procedure if you shoot one into
your hand.

Tim w

John Grossbohlin[_2_] September 9th 08 10:51 PM

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have been asked to do a repair on a piece of furniture. A piece of
1" pine measuring 6" x 18" has fallen off. the piece was assembled
using a nail gun with 6 nails at each end. These things protrude about
1" on the back side of the piece. Unlike nails which I could hammer
out these are to small and just bend.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these easily?
Thanks for any and all help.

Pull them through the back using pliers. You'll end up with less damage to
the surface this way and because you are pulling rather than pushing the
propensity of the nails to bend is a non issue.

John

FrozenNorth[_4_] September 9th 08 10:53 PM

trvlnmny wrote:

I have been asked to do a repair on a piece of furniture. A piece of
1" pine measuring 6" x 18" has fallen off. the piece was assembled
using a nail gun with 6 nails at each end. These things protrude about
1" on the back side of the piece. Unlike nails which I could hammer
out these are to small and just bend.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these easily?
Thanks for any and all help.

Easiest depending upon the size of the head, is to pull them through with a
pair of pilers, pine will pull straight through fairly easy.

--
Froz...

Chris Friesen September 9th 08 11:49 PM

trvlnmny wrote:
I have been asked to do a repair on a piece of furniture. A piece of
1" pine measuring 6" x 18" has fallen off. the piece was assembled
using a nail gun with 6 nails at each end. These things protrude about
1" on the back side of the piece. Unlike nails which I could hammer
out these are to small and just bend.
Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove these easily?

Pull them through, or else clip them off.

Chris

trvlnmny September 11th 08 12:18 AM

Removing nails from a nail gun

Thank you for your assistance. I am glad to see that everyone is of
the same opinion.
If only our politics were the same.

John Grossbohlin[_2_] September 11th 08 12:39 AM

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
Thank you for your assistance. I am glad to see that everyone is of
the same opinion.
If only our politics were the same.

Well to be honest, when I first saw the subject I was going to suggest what
some "city guys" do to unload their rifles at the end of an unsuccessful day
of hunting... shoot 'em all up into a tree!

John

mac davis[_5_] September 11th 08 03:34 PM

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:31:32 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

trvlnmny wrote:
Thank you for your assistance. I am glad to see that everyone is of
the same opinion.
If only our politics were the same.

So we'd all be in step as we marched off the cliff together? :-)

I thought we did, Morris...
We have at least 2 cliffs to choose from..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Mike Marlow September 12th 08 03:09 PM

"trvlnmny" wrote in message

Thank you for your assistance. I am glad to see that everyone is of
the same opinion.
If only our politics were the same.

Why would that be good?

--