Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Who knew? Oil Springs, ON, struck first oil.

Suck it, you Kanuckistan haters!!!

Who knew? Oil Springs, Ont., struck first oil

THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.
The village of Oil Springs, southeast of Sarnia, is the site of North
America's first commercial oil well * dug by hand roughly 150 years ago
tomorrow.
The discovery touched off the modern petroleum age, a full year before
American Edwin Drake began drilling in Pennsylvania.
This weekend, people living throughout the Oil Heritage District of
Lambton County will converge on the village to both commemorate and
reflect on the anniversary.
A parade will march to the Oil Museum of Canada, where festivities will
include a play depicting the history of the oil industry, declarations
by local MPs and the Oil Baron's Ball.
Local historians say they hope the bash will help raise the area's
profile and boost its bid to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Posted to rec.woodworking

THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of
national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is
in southEASTERN, Ontario. I'd hate for all of that celebratory
Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving
aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:06*pm, Kevin wrote:
THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of
national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is
in southEASTERN, Ontario. *I'd hate for all of that celebratory
Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving
aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! *:-)

Speaking of aimless....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.
I live 30 KM from there...

Do you have a Tates compass? Maybe that explains why you're lost.
After all, he who has a Tates, is lost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:22:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Aug 8, 3:06*pm, Kevin wrote:
THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of
national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is
in southEASTERN, Ontario. *I'd hate for all of that celebratory
Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving
aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! *:-)

Speaking of aimless....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.

Where is Thunder Bay?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Speaking of aimless....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.
I live 30 KM from there..

Interesting! Let's put a north-south line running right through the
middle of Ontario. Good old Lambton county sure seems to be east of
that line. Perhaps Oil Springs is in the southwestern part of the
southeastern part of Ontario?

Molsonly yours,

Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:06 pm, Kevin wrote:
THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of
national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is
in southEASTERN, Ontario. I'd hate for all of that celebratory
Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving
aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! :-)

Speaking of aimless....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.
I live 30 KM from there...

Do you have a Tates compass? Maybe that explains why you're lost.
After all, he who has a Tates, is lost.

Actually the village is in the WESTERN part of the Niagara Peninsula
which is in EASTERN Ontario.

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

Where is Thunder Bay?

Well since Thunder Bay is both north and west of Oil Springs, I guess
it must be in Northwestwest Ontario.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:32*pm, Kevin wrote:
Speaking of aimless....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.
I live 30 KM from there..

Interesting! Let's put a north-south line running right through the
middle of Ontario. Good old Lambton county sure seems to be east of
that line. *Perhaps Oil Springs is in the southwestern part of the
southeastern part of Ontario?

Molsonly yours,

Kevin

Noooo, you big silly, put that Molson down..and pay attention:
Oil Springs is in the Western part of Southern Ontario.

Han knows how that kinda thing works, North Brabant, is in the
Southern part of The Netherlands.
South Dakota is in the Northern US?

You may now continue drinking that Molson....stuff...'cuz beer it
ain't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:06*pm, Kevin wrote:
THE CANADIAN PRESS
A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this
weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a
civilization.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of
national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is
in southEASTERN, Ontario. *I'd hate for all of that celebratory
Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving
aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! *:-)

Speaking of aimless....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...eography_stubs

Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in
SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO.

Where is Thunder Bay?

Northern Ontario..on the West side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:35*pm, "David G. Nagel" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:06 pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Right, David... *pats him on the head*... now Google for South Western
Ontario's cities..see what you get, and where it gets you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Noooo, you big silly, put that Molson down..and pay attention:
Oil Springs is in the Western part of Southern Ontario.

Han knows how that kinda thing works, North Brabant, is in the
Southern part of The Netherlands.
South Dakota is in the Northern US?

You may now continue drinking that Molson....stuff...'cuz beer it
ain't.

Ahhh, gotcha. It's in Westsouth Ontario. All is now clear.

Muskokaly yours,

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Do you have a Tates compass? Maybe that explains why you're lost.
After all, he who has a Tates, is lost.

Mebbe he dint correct for declination wif his Tates an he's goin mag
north instead a true north.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:06 pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Umm, lemeesee (bouncing globe off wall), that would be north of Sydney,
south of Melbourne, and left at Iceland, right?

(AIUI, it's only with the Regur-Je model of those compasses that all is
truly lost.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:48*pm, Kevin wrote:
Noooo, you big silly, put that Molson down..and pay attention:
Oil Springs is in the Western part of Southern Ontario.

Han knows how that kinda thing works, North Brabant, is in the
Southern part of The Netherlands.
South Dakota is in the Northern US?

You may now continue drinking that Molson....stuff...'cuz beer it
ain't.

Ahhh, gotcha. *It's in Westsouth Ontario. *All is now clear.

Muskokaly yours,

Kevin

Noooooooooooooooo, because if you go as far West as you can in
Ontario, then you hit the Manitoba border. THEN, if you go South..you
end up near Thunderinglardjesus Bay.
However...if you go South first...and then West, you end up in
Windsor, which is about an hour away from Oil Springs and a helluvalot
closer than Thunderingfarking Bay!

Now, Cornwall.. THAT is Eastern Ontario, boy is it ever...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Do you have a Tates compass? Maybe that explains why you're lost.
After all, he who has a Tates, is lost.

Mebbe he dint correct for declination wif his Tates an he's goin mag
north instead a true north.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmakerhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

You hafta stay away from True North... That's a scary place.
Because if you go due South, from True North, and then go due West for
a few hundred kms, then turn due North...you're back where you
started...nu-uh..weird **** happens up there...

Mag North, is closer to New Foundland.. in some ways even scarier.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Aug 8, 3:48Â*pm, Kevin wrote:
Noooo, you big silly, put that Molson down..and pay attention:
Oil Springs is in the Western part of Southern Ontario.

Han knows how that kinda thing works, North Brabant, is in the
Southern part of The Netherlands.
South Dakota is in the Northern US?

You may now continue drinking that Molson....stuff...'cuz beer it
ain't.

Ahhh, gotcha. Â*It's in Westsouth Ontario. Â*All is now clear.

Muskokaly yours,

Kevin

Noooooooooooooooo, because if you go as far West as you can in
Ontario, then you hit the Manitoba border. THEN, if you go South..you
end up near Thunderinglardjesus Bay.
However...if you go South first...and then West, you end up in
Windsor, which is about an hour away from Oil Springs and a helluvalot
closer than Thunderingfarking Bay!

Now, Cornwall.. THAT is Eastern Ontario, boy is it ever...

Hey Rob, good buddy, this is getting silly, as a fellow resident of Southern
Ontario, and as Bob knows we all know each other, Oil Springs is definitely
in the South Western part of Southern Ontario aka Southern Ontario, for
the less anal.
;-)
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 4:06*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:48*pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

I know where I live, most of the time. *G* But for those who believe
Wiki..here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_Ontario
It even has a picture!
Posted to rec.woodworking

However...if you go South first...and then West, you end up in
Windsor.

Many nights during my youth I DID end up in Windsor. Wonderful
ballet....

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

After reading some of this convoluted geography debate, I can only conclude
that canadians are wandering around wondering where they are.

No wonder they drink so much of that macho beer they brew up on those parts.
I assume that they have no problem finding the beer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 8:44*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
After reading some of this convoluted geography debate, I can only conclude
that canadians are wandering around wondering where they are.

No wonder they drink so much of that macho beer they brew up on those parts.
I assume that they have no problem finding the beer.

...wait... I'm busy bouncing a globe off the wall... this is fun....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thunder bay is not on the west side. it's on lake superior. if you go
west to manitoba an head south you'll hit minnesota, lake of the woods.
it's about 250 mi from thunder bay to the manitoba border with kenora in
betwixed. watch out for moose.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

On Aug 8, 3:48 pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

That's what I said. Western Niagara peninsula, which is in Eastern
Ontario (actually South Central Ontario).

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:41:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Where is Thunder Bay?

Northern Ontario..on the West side.

You do realize that was a rhetorical question? Thunderstinkin Bay is
no more in Northern Ontario than Anchorage is Northern Alaska. There's
a WHOLE lot more of both WAY north of both. Even Hearst isn't really
Northern Ontario.

By the way, someone mentioned Cornwall. Reminds me of an old story we
used to tell about Jacksonville, FL, when I was living there. It goes:

some guys in Tampa were talking around the water cooler at work one
day. One of their co-workers, who hadn't been around for a few days
walked up. "Bob, where the hell you been?"

"Well, remember the attitude adjustment session at the tavern last
week?"

"Yeah, you looked like you were cutting one out of the herd, there."

"Yup. Did real good, too. We left the bar, went dancing a little, had
a late dinner, a little vino. Started a little neck nibbling. After a
while, we got a little more intense in the back of a taxi and she
started really getting excited."

"So?"

"She came up for air at one point and said, 'kiss me where it smells'
so I took her to Jacksonville. I just got back."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in news:bb6618d0-34a4-44ca-982b-
:

On Aug 8, 3:48*pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Well, if I look at a map of Ontario on yahoo, it looks sort of like the
"boot" of Italy, only a lot more sqat. Oil Springs is then near the
Western tip of the most Southern part, which leans heavily Eastwards,
like Calabria in Italy is the westernmost part of southern Italy, but it
it is East of the center of Italy.

I can only conclude that Canadians have some sort of trouble with
geography, unless, like in Europe, boundaries/borders/regions have
changed for infernal reasons of marriage and/or war.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:48Â*pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

The 49th parallel is the main devider between Canada and the USA,
except for the great lakes and St Lawrence Seaway. And a VERY siseable
proportion of Canadians live "south of the 49th"
Ontario is rouchly devided between eastern ontario(that part roughly
east of Hogtown and south of Quebec), Central Ontario,(that part
rougly south of Barrie and west of Toronto's eastern edge),
sothwestern ontario (the area roughly south of toronto),the "near
north", extending from the top of Georgean bay to the corner of
Quebec,(or roughly the 49th) and the "north", which is about 75%+ of
the province.
All of the western part of canada is in the "NORTH" by that standard,
as is most of Quebec and Newfoundland

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09 Aug 2008 14:12:06 GMT, Han wrote:

I can only conclude that Canadians have some sort of trouble with
geography, unless, like in Europe, boundaries/borders/regions have
changed for infernal reasons of marriage and/or war.

You want to try to get around Waterloo County, Ontario.
The "twin cities" of Kitchener and waterloo share 2 main streets -
Weber and King, that run parallel to each other (more or less), North,
South, East and west, and cross 3 times. (North and south in Waterloo,
East and west in Kitchener, nominally)
Virtually nothing runs true north or south or east or west, with no
neatly laid out "grid".
Then go to Guelph - and Goderich (both outside the region) - goderich
, on the bay, is set out like a roundhouse, while Guelph is laid out
like a horseshoe. Both cities were designed by John Galt - and the
plans got mixed up - putting the "railroad city" on the bay, and the
"harbour city" totally landlocked.

Oh wel - makes life and travel interesting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about calling it a suburb of Detroit? grin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 3:48 pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

As a born and raised Saskatchewanian (try typing that after a alco-pop or
two), let me offer my $.02. The way I see it is that most Ontarioans still
think of Ontario as it was when it was known as "Upper Canada" . By that
measure Oil Springs likley would be in south western Upper Canada, and the
rest of Ontario doesn't exist in their minds.

There used to be a fairly large contingent of people from western Ontario
(Thunder Bay, Kenora, etc) who seriously thought of joining Manitoba - they
have a whole lot more in common with the west than they do with the Centre
of The Universe;