Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screw Heads: Square Recess vs Square Phillips vs Star vs Lox vs ...

Hi,

While looking for square recess screws I found a plethora of
head styles. Has anyone done a comparison of the relative
merits of these styles?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

While looking for square recess screws I found a plethora of
head styles. Has anyone done a comparison of the relative
merits of these styles?

McFeely's catalog has some explanations. I've found it informative.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

abby wrote:
Hi,

While looking for square recess screws I found a plethora of
head styles. Has anyone done a comparison of the relative
merits of these styles?

I don't know of any comprehensive discussions by any outfit that
doesn't make or sell screws.

To my way of thinking, square drive is most convenient in difficult
locations because the driver can easily carry the screw, Torx (the
"star") drives most reliably, Phillips is ubiquitous, the rest kind of
suck in one way or another.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Abby,

Although not quite what you were asking, the Summer 2008 issue of
Woodworking Magazine has an article that compares several types of screws
along with their various attributes, such as head design and thread style.
It might be worth taking a look. HTH.

Peter.

screw heads Eigenvector Woodworking 32 July 14th 07 02:05 PM
Stainless steel deck screws: Phillips or Square-Drive? [email protected] Woodworking 16 September 20th 06 04:55 PM
Screw-On Drill Heads Cliff Metalworking 0 March 16th 06 12:52 PM
square head--not square drive--screws [email protected] Woodworking 4 June 13th 05 09:03 PM
Which faces of a machinists square are square? Ben Jackson Metalworking 16 March 15th 05 11:24 PM