DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PC 690 Combo-base router (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/254964-pc-690-combo-base-router.html)

Jay Pique July 8th 08 01:12 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

I've got that set that came with a plunge and fixed base, and man is
it a pain to switch back and forth between them. As such, I just
bought another 690 router body (6902) for $69 on Amazon. I haven't
even used it yet and it's worth it already.

JP

Pat Barber July 8th 08 02:45 PM

PC 690 Combo-base router

I think you meant to say, you bought an
additional router motor and not the body.

Now you have two routers.

Ed Bailen July 8th 08 03:43 PM

PC 690 Combo-base router

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:12:34 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

I've got that set that came with a plunge and fixed base, and man is
it a pain to switch back and forth between them. As such, I just
bought another 690 router body (6902) for $69 on Amazon. I haven't
even used it yet and it's worth it already.

JP

It can be a PITA to get the motor out of the plunge base. What I have
learned is that if I leave the base about 1/8" shy of fully seating in
the plunge base, then after the lock screw is loosened (a lot), a
quick tap on the router motor will slide it down in the base and
release the locking clamp. Give the locking screw a qiuck tap to make
sure the clamp swings free and the base will easily slide off the
router.

I added a D-handled base to the set, and leave the standard base
attached to my router table. I also cut the cord on the router to
about 18" and put a new plug on it so that it isn't in the way when
the router is in the D-handle base. An in-line socket can be added on
the cut off router cord to make it in to an extension cord.

Ed

B A R R Y July 9th 08 12:15 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

Jay Pique wrote:
I've got that set that came with a plunge and fixed base, and man is
it a pain to switch back and forth between them. As such, I just
bought another 690 router body (6902) for $69 on Amazon. I haven't
even used it yet and it's worth it already.

JP

I won't argue that additional routers are handy, but you found switching
to be a pain? G

All of my router motors are in a drawer, the bases are on a shelf. I
must be a glutton for punishment.

Jay Pique July 10th 08 12:47 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

On Jul 8, 9:45*am, Pat Barber wrote:
I think you meant to say, you bought an
additional router motor and not the body.

Now you have two routers.

Yep - I've got a dedicated motor for each of the plunge base and fixed
base. I also just picked up an HNT Gordon rabbet plane off of eBay.
It was actually a deal at 1/2 the price of new, and it's new. Not a
nick or a ding, and the previous owner knew how to sharpen and lap the
blade. Looks unused. I really like it. It's my first wooden plane
and my first to adjust using a hammer. It's really quite easy to
adjust. Pefect shavings right out of the box after I set the blade.

JP

Tom Dacon July 10th 08 06:03 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

Well, pulling the motor out of that plunge base for the 690 is definitely a
pain. You had to have been there.

Tom Dacon

B A R R Y July 11th 08 02:40 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

Tom Dacon wrote:
Well, pulling the motor out of that plunge base for the 690 is definitely a
pain. You had to have been there.

I spray my motors with Top Cote.

I have (4) 690's. G

Jim Harvey July 27th 08 04:28 AM

PC 690 Combo-base router

Tom Dacon wrote:
Well, pulling the motor out of that plunge base for the 690 is definitely a
pain. You had to have been there.

I have the 694 set also and I have to agree. The allen screw that locks
in the motor is a pain.