Carmella

Default Any tips for patching a knot hole in a fence?

Hi,

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

I can't find the knots (am I spelling 'knot' right?), I guess they landed
on the neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? My first thought is wood filler, but I don't know if a
large knot hole will just distort and pop out the filler when the weather
changes.

Thanks,

Carmella

Bridger

you sure they're knotholes? a drill will do the same thing....

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:22:48 GMT, Carmella CWP@... wrote:

Hi,

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

I can't find the knots (am I spelling 'knot' right?),

yes.

I guess they landed
on the neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? My first thought is wood filler, but I don't know if a
large knot hole will just distort and pop out the filler when the weather
changes.

That is unlikely to work. I'd either cover the hole with something or
more likely replace the picket.

Thanks,

Carmella

Grandpa

Assuming the problem is neighbors being nosey and looking thru the
fence, hang or mount some nice flower planters over the holes. Yard
decorations like those out of prick (sun, moon faces etc) would do the
trick too. Birdhouse, anything where you might screw down to the fence
a horizonal board over the hole or planter mount. Put a small paper
with a note on it with "NOSEY" over the hole from your side firstVBG.

Carmella wrote:
Hi,

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

I can't find the knots (am I spelling 'knot' right?), I guess they landed
on the neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? My first thought is wood filler, but I don't know if a
large knot hole will just distort and pop out the filler when the weather
changes.

Thanks,

Carmella

Bob S.

If you can paint or use a solid stain over the patch, some Bondo will work
nicely. Find it at an automotive parts store. Mix up about a golf ball
size (or however much you need to fill a knot hole) and mix in the curing
agent (pink stuff) until the whole mixture is the color of the little mixing
paddle you get with the kit. Patch quickly - once it's mixed you have about
3 mins to use it before it sets up.

You can use less of the curing agent to give you a longer working time if
needed. I've cut it back by 50% and the Bondo still cured and I've seen no
ill effects.

Place a backer on the other side and affix it temporarily in-place while you
spread/push the Bondo into the knot hole from the other side. Once its
slightly over full, cover with a piece of light cardboard (like a playing
card or cereal box cardboard) and hold it against the Bondo to keep it from
sagging out of the hole. You only need to hold it for about a minute (or
less) for the Bondo to set up. Let it dry (cure) overnight and the next
day, remove the backer piece, the cardboard and sand it smooth or use a wire
brush to work in some graining.

The backer piece should be something that the Bondo will not stick to, like
a wax coated piece of scrap, wax paper covered piece of scrap, Formica
scrap, melamine scrap - you get the idea. The cardboard may stick but will
clean off when you sand it. The color is pinkish, so you need to paint it
or stain it to match your fence.

The Bondo does not expand or contract but wood does so you may have to drive
a couple of small brads into the sides of the knot holes if you think the
patch will fall out. If you're painting over the patch anyway, just feather
the edges out so the patch is slightly larger than the patch while its still
soft and workable and that will hold it in-place.

Bob S.

"Carmella" CWP@... wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

I can't find the knots (am I spelling 'knot' right?), I guess they landed
on the neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? My first thought is wood filler, but I don't know if a
large knot hole will just distort and pop out the filler when the weather
changes.

Thanks,

Carmella

Allyn Vaughn

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:22:48 GMT, Carmella CWP@... wrote:

Hi,

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

snip

I think you should just use the bottom of a tin (coffee or soup) can
and nail it to the fence. Won't look real nice but it sure brings
back memories!

Allyn

Lew Hodgett

"Carmella" writes:

My fence has developed a few large knotholes right at eye level and I'm
hoping to find a way to patch it.

If you are serious and this isn't a troll, it is a very simple fix using
some epoxy thickened with microballoons and cab-o-sil.

Take a piece of scrap wood slightly larger than the knot hole, say a piece
of cdx plywood, covered with some clear shipping tape and temporarily cover
the back side of the hole attaching with some screws. (Epoxy doesn't stick
to the shipping tape).

Mix some epoxy, then thicken with microballoons and a little cab-o-sil to
thicken enough so it will hang on a vertical surface, then butter the hole
shut.

A couple of days later, remove scrap of wood, sand both sides flush and
paint if required.

When that fence has turned to compost, those epoxy plugs will still be
there.

HTH

SFWIW, I have spliced a lot of plywood sheets together using the above
technique and then covering the joint with some fiberglass.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Victor De Long

I guess the real question to ask is, what's your neighbor look like in a
bikini? Maybe the knot holes are okay where they are . . .

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
"Carmella" writes:

[...]

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Carmella

Well, let's just say I'd rather not see them in one...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I don't really have a "can I work on your side of the fence" type
relationship with the neighbors, so it looks like it'll have to be hanging
stuff over the holes for me.

-C

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:48:09 GMT, Carmella CWP@... wrote:

Well, let's just say I'd rather not see them in one...

*smile*...inquiring minds want to know.... Feel
free to post to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I don't really have a "can I work on your side of the fence" type
relationship with the neighbors, so it looks like it'll have to be hanging
stuff over the holes for me.

-C

Well, there IS a way to do it that does not require going
on THEIR side of the fence (although if it is your fence, you
should be able to do so without pestering them).
1) Cut a square of cardboard slightly larger than the hole.
2) Punch a couple of holes in the center and put a loop
of twine through them.
3) roll the cardboard slightly so it will go through the
hole.
4) let it unroll, and use the string to pull the
concave side flat against the fence.
5) Tie the string around a small bar that will span
the hole on YOUR side and pull it tightly enough to lock
everything together, without pulling the cardboard down
into the hole.
6) Fill hole with appropriate spackling as mentioned
elsewhere.
7) when filler is dry, cut off the string flush with
the surface of the filler, sand, and move on. Let the neighbor
worry about THEIR side of the fence.
or...
Ignore THEIR side of the fence. Simply cut some
decorative patterns out that are slightly larger than the
knotholes. Nail them over the holes, and, scatter a few more
along the fence in random places, so it looks like a design
decision, rather than a repair.
Move on.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Silvan

Carmella wrote:

I don't really have a "can I work on your side of the fence" type
relationship with the neighbors, so it looks like it'll have to be hanging
stuff over the holes for me.

Interesting point... Do you even know your neighbors on the other side of
the fence?

I just realized I've lived here for... Five years I guess. I have no idea
who else lives here beyond the two closest neighbors. There are other kids
in the neighborhood, and they don't play with my kids. They ride the same
bus, but don't even know each other. When they see each other riding bikes
or whatever, they avoid each other.

Of course, I don't know any of the kids' parents either. I know nothing
whatsoever about any of them, other than having a vague idea which cars go
to which houses.

I leave a huge bowl of candy on my porch on Halloween, with a path lit to it
and everything very inviting and friendly, and nobody has ever taken any of
it.

We don't let our kids trick-or-treat at the other houses, even if their
lights are on, since we don't know any of those people.

We live in strange times. Whatever happened to the Welcome Wagon?

Of course, being a hermit, I like it this way just fine. I'm supposed to be
the exception though, not the rule. I guess we're all hermits today.

Probably comes from living in a society where you have to be prepared to
move halfway across the country next month if you want to keep your job.
It's pointless for most people to bother putting down roots.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark

Carmella wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Hows your artistry?

Paint eyeballs on small thin boards. Nail the eyeball side to the fence
over the holes.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Grandpa, jimbust747 wrote:
Make sure fence is dry. Apply a patch of selotape over the knot hole on the
outside of the fence. Go inside the fence with skeleton gun with silicone
sealer in and gently pump some silicone into the hole until it's full. Wipe
over with scraper and leave for 24 hours now you can remove selotape all
done . Use brown silicone for a neater job.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...ce-188244-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 9:14:04 AM UTC-5, jimbust747 wrote:
replying to Grandpa, jimbust747 wrote:
Make sure fence is dry. Apply a patch of selotape over the knot hole on the
outside of the fence. Go inside the fence with skeleton gun with silicone
sealer in and gently pump some silicone into the hole until it's full. Wipe
over with scraper and leave for 24 hours now you can remove selotape all
done . Use brown silicone for a neater job.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...ce-188244-.htm

Grampa has since "bit the big one" and gone to his Maker...note: the thread you're replying to is nearly 13 yrs old.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2016 9:14 AM, jimbust747 wrote:
replying to Grandpa, jimbust747 wrote:
Make sure fence is dry. Apply a patch of selotape over the knot hole
on the
outside of the fence. Go inside the fence with skeleton gun with silicone
sealer in and gently pump some silicone into the hole until it's full.
Wipe
over with scraper and leave for 24 hours now you can remove selotape all
done . Use brown silicone for a neater job.

Easiest and cheapest, replace the picket. $3

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Villa wrote in
:

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 9:14:04 AM UTC-5, jimbust747 wrote:
replying to Grandpa, jimbust747 wrote:
Make sure fence is dry. Apply a patch of selotape over the knot
hole on the outside of the fence. Go inside the fence with skeleton
gun with silicone sealer in and gently pump some silicone into the
hole until it's full. Wipe over with scraper and leave for 24 hours
now you can remove selotape all done . Use brown silicone for a
neater job.

Grampa has since "bit the big one" and gone to his Maker...note: the
thread you're replying to is nearly 13 yrs old.

I'd complain to the newsserver that's sourcing these, since
they're basically just spam for Homeowners hub, but I doubt
it would do any good.

Mebbe we should all sign up over there, and post lots of
random pointless posts with "homeowners hub are spammers"
in our sig lines.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2016 3:49 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Grampa has since "bit the big one" and gone to his Maker...note: the
thread you're replying to is nearly 13 yrs old.

I'd complain to the newsserver that's sourcing these, since
they're basically just spam for Homeowners hub, but I doubt
it would do any good.

I think that is backwards. The H Hub is posting or acting as a gateway
to the servers and they probably have little or no control over it. If
you managed to get one account closed, minutes later they would have
another.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Carmella, Paul wrote:
I just finished covering a half dozen large knot holes with pieces of tin
cut into the shape of leaves. They rust and blend in nicely.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ce-188244-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Paul, McKenzie wrote:
That's a good idea where did you got the leaves please any chance of a photo?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ce-188244-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to McKenzie, hello wrote:
I'm thinking get some fence feather-edge board of similar dimensions and mark
and cut-out a piece of wood that roughly fits each hole. Use a foam expanding
adhesive like Gorilla Glue and place it around the piece and fit in the hole.
Secure with masking tape while it sets.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ce-188244-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Carmella, Kenneth Brian Matthews wrote:
What I do to fill fence knot holes is quite simple. Get a Cork, if it is too
big for the hole it can be quite easily pared down with a sharp knife to a
tight fit. Next apply some wood glue around the area that touches the wood or
round the hole itself. Get a good close fit first before applying glue. Push
firmly into the hole, not too hard or you will push the Cork right through.
Leave the glue to set. Fill round the edge with a non setting external filler.
When dry paint. It works well and solves the problem

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ce-188244-.htm