Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The horrors of bleach!!!

I've neglected my tools for two months now. I haven't been in the shop
in that long, I admit.
But I wasn't prepared for what I saw on my tablesaw today.
A two inch thick layer of sawdust on the cast iron top, with a leaking
bottle of bleach sitting on the sawdust.

Apparently my ex wife (as if I needed another reason to be angry at her)
allowed a neighbor to use the saw some time ago while I was out of town.
He didn't clean off the sawdust. Why the leaky bleach bottle was placed
on top I'll never know.

Bleach is a powerful oxidizer, and it took 15 minutes with a nylon scrub
pad on the ROS just to get the caked, rusty sawdust off.

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will probably
never come off.

Grumble, grumble...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 5:38 pm, Woodie wrote:

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will probably
never come off.

You can do some good work with the appropriate metal polishing
compounds and a good buffer. It won't take the pits out (obviously)
but you might be able to make it shine better than new with some
patience.

Grumble, grumble...

Awwww.... quit yer bitchin'. You did say EX, right? That should make
you happy.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodie wrote:

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will
probably
never come off.

And how has that affected the saw's ability to make an accurate cut?

Time for some WD40, 150 grit on a ROS, some paper towels, and oh yea,
some elbow grease, followed by a wax job.

All this while humming, "Free again, ..................."

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:38:57 GMT, Woodie wrote:

I've neglected my tools for two months now. I haven't been in the shop
in that long, I admit.
But I wasn't prepared for what I saw on my tablesaw today.
A two inch thick layer of sawdust on the cast iron top, with a leaking
bottle of bleach sitting on the sawdust.

Apparently my ex wife (as if I needed another reason to be angry at her)
allowed a neighbor to use the saw some time ago while I was out of town.
He didn't clean off the sawdust. Why the leaky bleach bottle was placed
on top I'll never know.

Bleach is a powerful oxidizer, and it took 15 minutes with a nylon scrub
pad on the ROS just to get the caked, rusty sawdust off.

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will probably
never come off.

Grumble, grumble...

Sad story. A leaking bottle of bleach can do a lot of unexpected
damage. I let everyone in the house know my shop is off-limits to
everyone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Woodie wrote:

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will
probably
never come off.

And how has that affected the saw's ability to make an accurate cut?

Time for some WD40, 150 grit on a ROS, some paper towels, and oh yea,
some elbow grease, followed by a wax job.

Yesterday it was RemOil and the nylon pad (couldn't find a can of WD40
in the whole house - how's that for neglect?)

I'll get to work it on it this eve with some sandpaper on the ROS.

All this while humming, "Free again, ..................."

So far it's been grumbling "why that inconsiderate #@$*&!"
Humming may come later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 6:38*pm, Woodie wrote:
I've neglected my tools for two months now. I haven't been in the shop
in that long, I admit.
But I wasn't prepared for what I saw on my tablesaw today.
A two inch thick layer of sawdust on the cast iron top, with a leaking
bottle of bleach sitting on the sawdust.

Apparently my ex wife (as if I needed another reason to be angry at her)
allowed a neighbor to use the saw some time ago while I was out of town.
He didn't clean off the sawdust. Why the leaky bleach bottle was placed
on top I'll never know.

Bleach is a powerful oxidizer, and it took 15 minutes with a nylon scrub
pad on the ROS just to get the caked, rusty sawdust off.

But now I've got these huge black stains on the top that will probably
never come off.

Grumble, grumble...

Yes, they will come off. Rub it with wood.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've heard enough horror stories about ex's that I feel I should share my
buddy's plan with the brotherhood. He says that if she get's out of line once
too often he'll buy her a new anchor chain and take her fishing! (grin)