DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/25344-gmc-7-1-4%22-circular-saw-keep-trash.html)

Ron December 28th 03 03:38 PM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

I just would like to know should I buy a GMC saw @ $59.00 or a well known
brand like Dewalt / Millwaukee @ $120-$140 .

Thanks for the info

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...37-38307-R13UL

Bridger December 28th 03 04:50 PM

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:38:46 GMT, "Ron" wrote:

I just would like to know should I buy a GMC saw @ $59.00 or a well known
brand like Dewalt / Millwaukee @ $120-$140 .

Thanks for the info

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...37-38307-R13UL

depends. do you intend to use it more that 2 or 3 times a year, and do
you care what the cut looks like?

Rob Stokes December 28th 03 07:24 PM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

When you buy tools, cry only once....

Good luck
Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

Gerald Ross December 28th 03 07:37 PM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

I replaced my previous saw with a DeWalt with power brake. Love it. My
brother got a Milwaukee, I believe, and is not in love with the blade
lowering system. It slides up and down rather than tilts like other
saws. YMMV.

Ron wrote:

I just would like to know should I buy a GMC saw @ $59.00 or a well
known brand like Dewalt / Millwaukee @ $120-$140 .

Thanks for the info

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...37-38307-R13UL

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

T. December 28th 03 07:52 PM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 9:50am (EST-2) (Bridger) says:
depends. do you intend to use it more that 2 or 3 times a year, and do
you care what the cut looks like?

How about expanding on that? I've got a B&D circular saw about
20-21 years old. Carbide tip blade, works fine, cuts great, and cuts
look good. Oh yeah, it gets used more than 2-3 times a year.

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 27 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Bridger December 28th 03 11:06 PM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:52:27 -0500 (EST),
(T.) wrote:

Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 9:50am (EST-2)
(Bridger) says:
depends. do you intend to use it more that 2 or 3 times a year, and do
you care what the cut looks like?

How about expanding on that? I've got a B&D circular saw about
20-21 years old. Carbide tip blade, works fine, cuts great, and cuts
look good. Oh yeah, it gets used more than 2-3 times a year.

JOAT

20 years ago a cheap saw was a serviceable machine. tried any of the
bottom of the line plastic tools lately?
Bridger

T. December 29th 03 02:45 AM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 4:06pm (EST-2) (Bridger) snip
20 years ago a cheap saw was a serviceable machine. tried any of the
bottom of the line plastic tools lately?

LOL Well, since my 25+ yo B&D sabre saw died, I got a $20 version
that works fine, with a decent blade. Anyway, I don't consider a sabre
saw, or a circular saw, precision tools. If I were using tools to make
a living, I'd probably get the best I could find, which is not
necessarily the most expensive. Being as I don't, I figure if my $20
saw dies, I'll just get another, and still be ahead.

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003.

MSgeek December 29th 03 03:18 AM

GMC 7-1/4" Circular Saw Keep it or Trash it

love my Hitachi! Paid $89. Lotso power.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...52-67702-C7SB2