DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Completed Rockwell Belt/Disk sander restore w/pics (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/252546-completed-rockwell-belt-disk-sander-restore-w-pics.html)

David F. Eisan[_2_] June 8th 08 03:41 AM

Completed Rockwell Belt/Disk sander restore w/pics

Hello everyone,

Tonight I finished the restoration of my 1970 Rockwell Belt/Disk Sander.

Here is what I started with,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander3.jpg

I tore down the sander to every last nut and bolt, cleaned it up and
repainted it. I replaced the sheet metal belt platten with a cast iron one,
swapped the 3450 RPM 3phase motor for a 1750 RPM 1ph motor w/larger pulley,
added a new side/top belt guard and changed the starter. The top belt roller
had been hammered on, so I also had to replace that as well. Add to that,
four new main bearings and the knob to tension the belt. I also managed to
find a cast iron disk dust collection attachment for the disk.

Here is it almost all torn apart,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...lotsoparts.jpg

Here is the sander all back together and after a very short test,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/bsdone1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/bsdone2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/bsdone3.jpg

Here is a shot of the new motor and starter inside the base,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/bsdoneelect.jpg

With the new starter, I was able to reuse the old remote on/off switch.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Leon June 8th 08 03:16 PM

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Tonight I finished the restoration of my 1970 Rockwell Belt/Disk Sander.

SNIP

With the new starter, I was able to reuse the old remote on/off switch.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Very nice David! Good Job.. I see your dust collector is working well
these days. ;~)

No Name June 8th 08 06:00 PM

Completed Rockwell Belt/Disk sander restore w/pics

Got a source of more of those cast iron platens ?? ?? I have an old,
badly worn steel one myself. I'm also in need of the top roller and
the top cast cover, if you know where I can pick those items up, I'd
sure appreciate it.

Bob the Tomato June 10th 08 10:35 AM

Completed Rockwell Belt/Disk sander restore w/pics

Excellent job! That piece of cast iron is just getting started.
Probably will outlive every one of us.