Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob by Chicago

Default Jet contractor's saw motor differences truth or bs? a little long.

I recently bought a Jet contractor's saw from a local Woodc... er um
retailer that displays Jet/ Powermatic. Thought it was a decent deal. The
one with two cast iron wings and the jet fence (not the biesmeyer knock off)
and got it for $650 saved about $100 (JWTS-10CW2-JF). I have an Incra fence
so that is not impoertant. As it turns out I most like ly wont be using
oneor both of the cast wings anyway and will use router extensions to
maximise use of incra and minimize garage floor space.
There is a Menards (big box) closing in the Chicago Burbs and I could get a
stamped wing version JWTS-10JF-LFR for $366+tax. I called the mgr at the
local Wood.... and told him about the opportunity and asked what he thought.
I have bought other things there and would have turned around and re-spent
the $650 on a better dc setup anyway. He told me that the difference wasn't
just the wings for $300 difference but that the motors are different. I got
the customer service # and tried to call jet on a Saturday morning only to
be greeted by a recording that they were closed. There are no differences in
specs between the two on paper and the manual in the box for the cast wing
version is even the manual for the steel version(JWTS-10JF) but no mention
of LFR suffix. Google had some mention of the LFR suffix model in Australia.
It seems to mean something compoletely different there because their version
has cast wings. (In other words yes I already checked Jet's website and
Google)

After spending ~$2K with them (on various things) I would like to hear he
gave me the straight scoop. BTW the saw I bought is still in the box.

Anyone know the story on these contracotr's saw? Do the big box version have
a lesser motor? I am pretty sure I have read about Delta doing some of that
with the models Lowe's has for example.

Help please.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Bob by Chicago.

if you dont' want to post.

Coving long lengths? David Cawkwell UK diy 4 February 28th 04 03:28 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM
making long taps Don Huseman Metalworking 7 August 12th 03 02:20 AM