The Good Bohemian

Default seeking advice on mortising attachment for Ridgid 15" dp...

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a mortising
attachment for a Ridgid drill press? The model I am speaking of is the
DP1500 made by Emerson not the 1550 made offshore by Ryobi (I think?).
Anyway, as I understand it, Delta's attachment is a sloppy fit and not
well-suited to this press. Do any of you have any other
reccomendations of an add-on mortising attachment for this drill
press?? Maybe House of Tools or LV? Any help would be absolutely
magnificient.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
Bob Kuphal

Agree, or do them with a router and a few nice upcut spiral bits, makes
a nice mortis, and all you need to do is round over the corners of the
tennons with a small wood rasp, only takes a second or two...

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Howard Ruttan wrote:
"The Good Bohemian" wrote...

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a mortising
attachment for a Ridgid drill press? The model I am speaking of is the
DP1500 made by Emerson not the 1550 made offshore by Ryobi (I think?).
Anyway, as I understand it, Delta's attachment is a sloppy fit and not
well-suited to this press. Do any of you have any other
reccomendations of an add-on mortising attachment for this drill
press?? Maybe House of Tools or LV? Any help would be absolutely
magnificient.

I don't know about the House of Tools version, but the LV is essentially the
same as the Delta. I'm not trying to be too much of a smartass, but if you
buy one of those I hope you have a boat. It makes a better anchor than a
mortiser. A dedicated mortiser isn't that much and if you tune the chisels
properly you can get by quite nicely with the cheesy ones they give you when
you buy it. Unless you are building a Prairie style sofa with umpteen
million little slats in the back, you could try a mallet and mortising
chisel. Handcutting them is relatively quick when you get onto it and makes
you feel like a woodworking Tyrannosaurus Rex (to borrow part of a line from
Jesse Ventura).

--

Cheers,
Howard

Working wood in New Jersey -
Visit me in the woodshop -
www.inthewoodshop.org

Frank Ketchum

"Bob Kuphal" ""DONT bob SPAM kuphal\"@dotnet dot com wrote in message
. ..

Agree, or do them with a router and a few nice upcut spiral bits, makes
a nice mortis, and all you need to do is round over the corners of the
tennons with a small wood rasp, only takes a second or two...

Bob,

I second your recommendation.

Questions- Where do you get your spiril bits from? Do you order online or
from a store? What prices do you pay roughly?

Thanks
Frank

Dave

The Good Bohemian wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a mortising
attachment for a Ridgid drill press? The model I am speaking of is the
DP1500 made by Emerson not the 1550 made offshore by Ryobi (I think?).
Anyway, as I understand it, Delta's attachment is a sloppy fit and not
well-suited to this press. Do any of you have any other
reccomendations of an add-on mortising attachment for this drill
press?? Maybe House of Tools or LV? Any help would be absolutely
magnificient.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Ridgid has a mortising kit for their drill presses. They have them at
the local Home Depot and I don't think they are very expensive. The kits
were there before the Ryobi takeover, so it should fit the "Emerson"
DP's. If your local HD doesn't have any in stock, you can special order
it thru them.

Dave

The Good Bohemian

In article , Dave
wrote:

Ridgid has a mortising kit for their drill presses. They have them at
the local Home Depot and I don't think they are very expensive. The kits
were there before the Ryobi takeover, so it should fit the "Emerson"
DP's. If your local HD doesn't have any in stock, you can special order
it thru them.

Thanks Dave - I'll have to look into it. HD doesn't push these...
that's for sure... never seen them.

Thanks again,

Andrew.