DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Woodcraft router bits (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/24763-woodcraft-router-bits.html)

YJJim December 15th 03 01:11 PM

Woodcraft router bits

Woodcraft has a set of 20 router bits on sale for $99. I have heard
that it is a bad idea to buy large sets and only buy what you need
but, at $5 a bit, it seems like a good price. (I've heard Woodcraft
bits are good, but I haven't used them).

Since individual bits seem to be about $10-15 a piece (and some of the
bits in the set sell for around $20), is it really unwise to buy sets?
I figure that even if I didn't use all of the bits, I would still
come out ahead... or is this just newbie thinking.

I currently only have 3 bits (3/4" straight, flush trim, and roundover
of some radius), and had been planing to expand my collection as my
projects require something different.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
YJJim

Doug Miller December 15th 03 01:16 PM

Woodcraft router bits

In article , (YJJim) wrote:
Woodcraft has a set of 20 router bits on sale for $99. I have heard
that it is a bad idea to buy large sets and only buy what you need
but, at $5 a bit, it seems like a good price. (I've heard Woodcraft
bits are good, but I haven't used them).

Chances are that these are *not* Woodcraft's regular line of bits. This
summer, they advertised ten bits at $5 each, supposedly a "discount" from
their regular prices on same (ranging from $10 to $20 IIRC). Turns out that
they are *not* the same bits -- Woodcraft's regular bits are made in Taiwan,
and the five-buck specials are made in Communist China.

John Gilham/Patsy Scott December 17th 03 05:38 AM

Woodcraft router bits

I bought a 20 bit set before coming to New Zealand. All the "blokes" around
here drool on them, because at best these bits (are green if that helps)
would cost around $400 here. I use them everyday in the toyshop and with an
occasional honing, they are still cutting really well.

Cheers

John

--
Rose Cottage Woodworks
www.rosecottageinn.co.nz/woodworks
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
gy.com...
In article ,

(YJJim) wrote:
Woodcraft has a set of 20 router bits on sale for $99. I have heard
that it is a bad idea to buy large sets and only buy what you need
but, at $5 a bit, it seems like a good price. (I've heard Woodcraft
bits are good, but I haven't used them).

Chances are that these are *not* Woodcraft's regular line of bits. This
summer, they advertised ten bits at $5 each, supposedly a "discount" from
their regular prices on same (ranging from $10 to $20 IIRC). Turns out

that
they are *not* the same bits -- Woodcraft's regular bits are made in

Taiwan,
and the five-buck specials are made in Communist China.

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for

Miss America?