DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Silly Question about Jigs - -- (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/24633-silly-question-about-jigs.html)

[email protected] December 16th 03 04:40 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

thing is, English is such a *******ised language.... made up of stray
words and bits and pieces of so many other languages..... so we have
20 unrelated definitions for the word jig. one of them is a racial
slur, the rest are more or less technical terms. anyone who uses the
word jig as a racial slur deserves to lose some teeth. anyone who
derides others for using the word jig in any other context because it
might be mistaken for a racial slur is making a fool of themselves.
Bridger

On 16 Dec 2003 07:19:45 -0800, (Chris)
wrote:

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message ...
His "knowing look" probably had more to do with the racial connotation that
jig carries. Pretty silly to my way of thinking, in this day and time. In
my experience the "knowing look" is usually accompanied by a snicker or SEG,
and usually comes from a racist. Flames welcomed.

FWIW I can second the racial connotation that jig (may) carry. While
I have never actually heard it used in that way, I remember some years
back (early 70s) when I would go ice fishing with my father.
"Jigging" was the act of fishing with a short pole and a small "jig"
with a "mousy" (a little grub). Periodically you quickly flick the
pole up and down to make the jig wiggle in the water. Anyway there
were a few fishermen who my father worked with (of the
African-American persuasion) that would only refer to it as "gigging"
(hard G). Dad had to explain to me that at some point in history the
word "jig" had a negative racial connotation. It was kind of obscure
then and that was 30 years ago.

There are many words that have or had negative connotations in the
past. I don't like the whole PC movement, but believe you should also
be sensitive to people's feelings and not just say "It's OK because
it's in the dictionary" cop out. I don't use the phrase "Call a spade
a spade" nor would I ever use the word "niggardly" even though they
both have legitimate meanings. I think most reasonable people can see
why. However unless I see wide spread use of the word "jig" in a
negative way, I will continue to use it to describe my fixtures (or
lack of - I have a large to-do list of jigs to make, but only a few
hanging around my shop).

-Chris

Tom December 16th 03 05:14 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"PM6564" wrote in
.com:

"CW" wrote in message

What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was
jig (as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of
like yank and yankee.

I suggest you check your facts on this one. There is nothing in Websters'
Unabridged to suggest this. The ethnic slang is a missappropriation of the
word jig. I suppose if racist started calling dark skinned people ding-
dongs that hostess should rename their product.

--
Mule-Tracks
Two for the board and one for the nail.

Larry Blanchard December 16th 03 05:57 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

In article ,
says...
I don't use the phrase "Call a spade
a spade" nor would I ever use the word "niggardly" even though they
both have legitimate meanings.

I suppose Nigeria should change its name as well :-).

C'mon. There's no relationship between "niggardly" and the dreaded "n"
word, which is a corruption of "negro" which is derived from "negroid".

And "negroid" has no more actual negative meaning than "caucasion"(sp?)
or "oriental".

Reminds me of the progression from "moron/idiot" to "feeble
minded" to "retarded" to "mentally deficient" to "differently abled".
They all develop negative connotations over time and are replaced with a
new term - usually a longer one.

Aren't we a strange species?

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Bay Area Dave December 16th 03 06:04 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

don't forget me: the supposed "village idiot".

dave

Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article ,
says...

CW December 16th 03 06:54 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Quite true and I would most appreciate it if you would clip to show who
actually wrote this.

"Tom" wrote in message
. 4...
"PM6564" wrote in
.com:

WebsterSteve December 16th 03 07:33 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message .com...
PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question
was jig (as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind
of like yank and yankee.

Main Entry: 1jig

snip

From http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: (3)jig
Function: noun
Etymology: short for jigaboo black person
Date: 1927

Hylourgos December 16th 03 11:15 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Tom wrote in message .4...
snip
I suggest you check your facts on this one. There is nothing in Websters'
Unabridged to suggest this. The ethnic slang is a missappropriation of the
word jig. I suppose if racist started calling dark skinned people ding-
dongs that hostess should rename their product.

Both Webster's and the OED (much more helpful in this as in most
things) attribute the use of either jig or jigaboo as a derogatory
racial slang word to the early half of the 20th century. I used the
Webster's online version. It seems obvious to me that the term came
from 19th/20th century white preoccupation with black dancing forms,
"jig" being a common word for certain dance forms. I suspect that
quickly, owing to broader cultural forces, the term took on a
derogatory tone.

The ethnic slang is not a "misappropriation", at least not in the way
that historical linguists view semantics: that's precisely how many
words have acquired their meanings--in just the way you imagine
unimaginable ("ding-dong"). Negro and gay immediately come to mind. If
"ding-dong" were to become a slur I would bet money that Hostess would
rename.

I sympathize if you think that the names for foods (or whatever)
should be straightforward, but that's not how words have,
historically, acquired meaning. For food specifically, check out
Louisville author Martha Barnette's book, "Ladyfingers and Nun's
Tummies" for an interesting look at cuisine etymologies. I'm careful
to note that you say "should", which indicates your favor of
prescriptive definitions--to which I too am partial--but at some point
you have to allow that many if not most words acquire meanings
indepent of prescriptive reasoning.

H.

PM6564 December 17th 03 12:23 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"Tom" wrote in message
. 4...
"PM6564" wrote in
.com:

"CW" wrote in message

What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was
jig (as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of
like yank and yankee.

I suggest you check your facts on this one. There is nothing in Websters'
Unabridged to suggest this. The ethnic slang is a missappropriation of the
word jig. I suppose if racist started calling dark skinned people ding-
dongs that hostess should rename their product.

--
Mule-Tracks
Two for the board and one for the nail.

As noted previously:

From http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Date: 1927

PM6564 December 17th 03 12:25 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

wrote in message
Jig:
A trolling bait, consisting of a bright spoon and a hook attached

fits, eh?

Nope, no troll involved. Tried helping out and the dip**** brigade showed
up in force.

Scott Cramer December 17th 03 03:06 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

On 13 Dec 2003, CW spake unto rec.woodworking:

I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never
heard the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no
racist overtones, I can only guess that it is one of those things that
people think long and hard to find a way to be offended by it.

I was at the local Agway last Sunday, and noticed that the birdseed
used in thistle feeders is now known as Nyjer seed. Used to be Niger seed.
I doubt that the complaints came from the chickadees.

The titmice have their own issues to deal with.

Chris December 17th 03 04:00 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Larry Blanchard wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
I don't use the phrase "Call a spade
a spade" nor would I ever use the word "niggardly" even though they
both have legitimate meanings.

C'mon. There's no relationship between "niggardly" and the dreaded "n"
word, which is a corruption of "negro" which is derived from "negroid".

And "negroid" has no more actual negative meaning than "caucasion"(sp?)
or "oriental".

Maybe not. Just not a word I would feel comfortble using in
conversation (for several reasons - one of which is the racial
conotation). BTW it's "asian" not "oriental" :-)

Reminds me of the progression from "moron/idiot" to "feeble
minded" to "retarded" to "mentally deficient" to "differently abled".
They all develop negative connotations over time and are replaced with a
new term - usually a longer one.

And so it goes, as each new term is applied it developes some type of
negative connotation over time, and thus must be replaced with a new
term. Some may be offended by "handicapped" but personally I find
"handicapable" even worse because it is sooo condescending.

Aren't we a strange species?

Yes. But we all knew that before this thread was started, right?

-Chris

Mortimer Schnerd, RN December 17th 03 05:33 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Chris wrote:
Maybe not. Just not a word I would feel comfortble using in
conversation (for several reasons - one of which is the racial
conotation). BTW it's "asian" not "oriental" :-)

I've heard this the last few years but I'll be damned if I can figure where it
came from. I was born in Japan almost 50 years ago and back then Japan was part
of the Orient. In any case, I never thought "Oriental" was a degoatory phrase
but merely an acknowledgement of origin.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Juergen Hannappel December 17th 03 05:41 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" writes:

Chris wrote:
Maybe not. Just not a word I would feel comfortble using in
conversation (for several reasons - one of which is the racial
conotation). BTW it's "asian" not "oriental" :-)

I've heard this the last few years but I'll be damned if I can figure
where it came from. I was born in Japan almost 50 years ago and back
then Japan was part of the Orient. In any case, I never thought
"Oriental" was a degoatory phrase but merely an acknowledgement of
origin.

You must consider that given the original meaning of "Orient" as "here
the sun rises" in contrast to "Occident" (where it sets) from a
japanese point of view America would be "the Orient" while Asia would
be the Occident....

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Hylourgos December 17th 03 08:16 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Tom Watson wrote in message ws.com...
snip
BTW: The guy who mentioned the differentiation in nomenclature - he's
called an "asshole".

Oh, man, you gotta watch that--some people find that word offensive.

Trying not to laugh,

Silvan December 18th 03 12:25 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

was part
of the Orient. In any case, I never thought "Oriental" was a degoatory
phrase but merely an acknowledgement of origin.

It's one of the dumber ones IMHO. In all the languages I know anything
about, the word (identical, or very similiar) "oriental" just means
"eastern."

I forget the etymology here. I think it's from Latin. "From the direction
of the sunrise" or something like that.

I'll leave it for someone else to go look it up. I'm too lazy ATM.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

golfmyball December 18th 03 12:55 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

(MHaseltine) wrote in message ...
Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which happened
to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a number
of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a tennoning jig.
Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner and
been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The person gave
me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful and not
call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his (which
is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as jigs -
fixtures is a new way of naming these things"

Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Michael

My guess is that a jig and a fixture are one and the same except a jig
is a one time thing and a fixture is a jig that is used all the time,
hench a fixture in the shop.

CW December 18th 03 01:02 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

The definition has been given in this thread and that was not it.

m...

Caractacus Potts December 19th 03 07:48 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"CW" wrote in message

The definition has been given in this thread and that was not it.

"golfmyball" wrote in message
m...

My guess is that a jig and a fixture are one and the same except a

jig
is a one time thing and a fixture is a jig that is used all the

time,
hench a fixture in the shop.

Oh ya? Why not?

Don't bother. CW's a tool.

golfmyball December 19th 03 11:29 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"CW" wrote in message

The definition has been given in this thread and that was not it.

"golfmyball" wrote in message
m...

My guess is that a jig and a fixture are one and the same except a jig
is a one time thing and a fixture is a jig that is used all the time,
hench a fixture in the shop.

Oh ya? Why not?

Then why reply? The definition given in this thread is nebulous,
contradictory and uncertain at best, **** head.

Hylourgos December 20th 03 04:33 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

No, no, this really is a good change, as Juergen tried to point out.
The basis for the change is geographic, not political: it's not a
"political correctness" issue in other words.

Orient is Latin for the present active participle of orior ("to
rise"), which came to mean even in Roman times "The East". That
geographic definition worked well for as long as Westerners
communicated pretty much only with themselves. If we wish to include
the East in our global communications now, as we do, then we can't
really refer to Asians with a word meaning "Easterners"--which doesn't
make sense to them. Unless, of course, you don't mind being referred
to as a South American by Canadians....

H.

T. December 20th 03 09:57 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Wed, Dec 17, 2003, 8:00am (EST-3) (Chris)
claims:
snip BTW it's "asian" not "oriental" snip

Then, how come I see the signs that say Oriental resturaunt and
Oriental food store?

JOAT
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might
as well dance.
- Unknown

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 19 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Hylourgos December 20th 03 04:16 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Hey JofT,

This is a good example of a change that is *not* owing to political
correctness, so the perceived "victims" of this usage are not
personally offended and usually won't rake you over the coals for it.
They leave that to the rich guilty pampered northern white chicks
(oops, did I say something wrong?).

It's just a geocentric term. Asians who want to make a buck here could
give a ****...

H.

Silvan December 20th 03 05:49 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

T. wrote:

Then, how come I see the signs that say Oriental resturaunt and
Oriental food store?

Because you live in North Cackalacky.

Henry E Schaffer December 21st 03 12:20 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

In article ,
PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was jig
(as used as an ethnic slur)

The word in question was jig (as used in shop/tool work.)

It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of like yank and yankee.

According to Unabridged Random House Dictionary it is a variation of
gauge. The OED gives a bunch of different meanings - and here is one of
the examples of the use in shop work:

"e. 1894 W. L. LINEHAM Text-bk. Mech. Engin. vi. 274 Jigs are an
extension of the template principle. Instead of thin plates, castings of
an inch or so in thickness are used, supplied with holes where needed,
the object being to guide the drill to its proper place on the work
without the necessity of lining-out. 1903 W. H. VAN DERVOORT Mod.
Machine Shop Tools xxvii. 410 Jigs are manufacturing tools of, as a
rule, high first cost and their economy depends very largely on the
number of pieces to be drilled. 1912 R. W. A. BREWER Motor Car
Construction ii. 13 Modern competition has made jig work absolutely
essential. 1942 B. A. SHIELDS Princ. Flight iii. 91 The airplane
fuselage is built in a jig. 1947 BRYANT & DICKINSON Jigs & Fixtures for
Mass Production i. 4 In the machine shop, a jig is usually an appliance
which guides a cutting tool... In the automotive industry, a jig is a
work-holding device wherein all positions for assembly or fabrication
operations are prelocated. 1967 M. CHANDLER Ceramics in Mod. World iv.
127 (caption) Assembling a large post insulator in a jig."

I just find it unbelieveable that all of those machine shop authors
were making ethnic slurs in their writing.
--
--henry schaffer

Tom Watson December 21st 03 12:33 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:20:07 +0000 (UTC), (Henry E
Schaffer) wrote:

I just find it unbelieveable that all of those machine shop authors
were making ethnic slurs in their writing.

Of course you realize that we are going to have to change the title
and lyrics of "White Christmas".

Of course, when you remember that it was written by a guy named Irving
Berlin, you realize that there was already an inherent irony.

Regards,

Tom Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

PM6564 December 21st 03 12:36 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message
In article ,
PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was

jig
(as used as an ethnic slur)

The word in question was jig (as used in shop/tool work.)

Here's a newsflash - some words have more than one meaning. If you would
bother to look at the entire thread before opening your pie hole, you would
see what we were talking about.

Try not to be a dip **** in the future.

Thanks,

The Management.

Henry E Schaffer December 21st 03 01:11 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was
jig (as used as an ethnic slur)

The word in question was jig (as used in shop/tool work.)

Here's a newsflash - some words have more than one meaning.

Right.

If you would bother to look at the entire thread before opening your
pie hole, you would see what we were talking about.

We were talking about jigs vs. fixtures as used in shop (woodworking)
work. (Go back and review the thread - it was about whether the
woodworking use of the word should be avoided because of an alternate
racist meaning.)

Furthermore, if you would bother to read the post to which you were
responding, you would see that I was responding to a particular sentence
in a particular post (and even gave the origin.)

Try not to be a dip **** in the future.

I'll try to avoid following your example.
--
--henry schaffer

Doug Miller December 21st 03 02:41 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Schaffer) wrote:

I just find it unbelieveable that all of those machine shop authors
were making ethnic slurs in their writing.

Of course you realize that we are going to have to change the title
and lyrics of "White Christmas".

FWIW, I used to work with a dark-skinned guy who sometimes sang "I'm dreaming
of an African-American Christmas...".

PM6564 December 21st 03 01:50 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was
jig (as used as an ethnic slur)

The word in question was jig (as used in shop/tool work.)

Here's a newsflash - some words have more than one meaning.

Right.

If you would bother to look at the entire thread before opening your
pie hole, you would see what we were talking about.

We were talking about jigs vs. fixtures as used in shop (woodworking)
work. (Go back and review the thread - it was about whether the
woodworking use of the word should be avoided because of an alternate
racist meaning.)

As I said before, If you would bother to read the entire thread before
opening your pie hole, you would see that the discussion was about the use
of jig as derived from jigaboo. To use my previous example: calling
someone a yank (american) . Yank is shortened from yankee. It has nothing
to do with the definition of yank used in pulling. The person in question
(CW) said that they had never heard of the word "jig" used as an ethnic
slur. That was when I posted the definition for "jigaboo" from which jig is
derived.

Furthermore, if you would bother to read the post to which you were
responding, you would see that I was responding to a particular sentence
in a particular post (and even gave the origin.)

Try not to be a dip **** in the future.

I'll try to avoid following your example.

BWAHAHAHA - I see what you did -- you turned that around! You are soooo
clever.

However, if you were to follow my example, you would only post about things
that you knew about and provide backup for that posting. You however, can't
seem to grasp that concept and use a faulty argument in your posting; i.e.
"I just find it unbelieveable that all of those machine shop authors were
making ethnic slurs in their writing." You fail to understand that certain
words have multiple meanings. such as "nip" (Nip being derived from Nippon,
the americanization of the pronunciation of Japan) as a racial slur and as
"a small drink" or "a small cut" among others..

With your line of logic, I certainly hope that the .edu in your address owes
itself to you getting an email address becuase you sweep the floors or clean
toilets and not becuase you try and educate anybody.

Henry E Schaffer December 21st 03 08:53 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

In article ,
PM6564 wrote:
However, if you were to follow my example, you would only post about things
that you knew about and provide backup for that posting.

I did provide backup (or don't you know what the OED is?)

You however, can't
seem to grasp that concept and use a faulty argument in your posting; i.e.
"I just find it unbelieveable that all of those machine shop authors were
making ethnic slurs in their writing." You fail to understand that certain
words have multiple meanings. such as "nip" (Nip being derived from Nippon,
the americanization of the pronunciation of Japan) as a racial slur and as
"a small drink" or "a small cut" among others..

You are having trouble assimilating the entire post I made - and
focusing only on the last line and taking it quite out of context. The
entire point of my post was that there was a long-standing non-racist
meaning of "jig". That last line was a sarcastic way of pointing out
that all of those authors were *not* using an ethnic slur.

You then came in and informed us all that words can have multiple
meanings. Duh.

With your line of logic, I certainly hope that the .edu in your address owes
itself to you getting an email address becuase you sweep the floors or clean
toilets and not becuase you try and educate anybody.

Wow - you just discovered that I post from an .edu address, and
thought up a way to be insulting. How impressive.
--
--henry schaffer

WebsterSteve December 22nd 03 12:10 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

(Henry E Schaffer) wrote in message ...
Duh.

The single most intelligent aspect of your post.

netnews.comcast.net January 3rd 04 08:06 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

I believe SOME people have been
reading WAY TOO MUCH Noam Chomsky "literature".

Ian Wheeler January 3rd 04 05:42 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Jigs hold or guide a tool - ie: kreg pocket hole jig, router templates.
Fixtures hold or guide work, therefore, the miter sled and tennoning 'jig'
are fixtures.

Ian

Mark January 4th 04 06:17 AM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

netnews.comcast.net wrote:

I believe SOME people have been
reading WAY TOO MUCH Noam Chomsky "literature".

Who?

;)

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

signal January 4th 04 06:17 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

Honestly, your all wrong,

anyone who's anyone knows their
thingmummybobs

;-)

Signal

C January 4th 04 07:15 PM

Silly Question about Jigs - --

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:06:22 +0000, MHaseltine wrote:

Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

What's in a name? Does it really matter? Whatever these devices are,
will it change their function or productivity?