Forrest Chamberlain

Default Powermatic bandsaw info?

I've heard good things about the Powermatic 14" bandsaw (mostly here,
actually), but can't find much info about it. Powermatic's web site
doesn't mention it at all, and Amazon doesn't carry it. Can anyone
point me to some info and/or places (preferably online) that are selling it?

Thanks,

Forrest

Brian

I recently read a 14" bandsaw comparison article (wish I had the link handy)
which indicated that the Powermatic suffered from far more vibration that
most others in its class. This alone would steer me away, personally.

The consensus favorite for the review was the Jet 14" model. I'll try to
dig up the link to this article.

FWIW.

Brian.

"Forrest Chamberlain" wrote in message
news
I've heard good things about the Powermatic 14" bandsaw (mostly here,
actually), but can't find much info about it. Powermatic's web site
doesn't mention it at all, and Amazon doesn't carry it. Can anyone
point me to some info and/or places (preferably online) that are selling

it?

Thanks,

Forrest

Bay Area Dave

call Southern Tool at 1-800-458-3687 to find out when they will get
one. They are EXCEPTIONAL to deal with. I bought my jointer from them
and found them a pleasure to do business with. They've been around a
long time.

dave

Forrest Chamberlain wrote:

I've heard good things about the Powermatic 14" bandsaw (mostly here,
actually), but can't find much info about it. Powermatic's web site
doesn't mention it at all, and Amazon doesn't carry it. Can anyone
point me to some info and/or places (preferably online) that are selling
it?

Thanks,

Forrest

Bay Area Dave

that is a TOTAL CROCK, Brian. I have one AFTER seeing a brand new unit
run at the WW show. IT is smoother than the Delta. In fact it doesn't
vibrate any more than a sewing machine. I'm serious. It is SWEET.

dave

Brian wrote:

I recently read a 14" bandsaw comparison article (wish I had the link handy)
which indicated that the Powermatic suffered from far more vibration that
most others in its class. This alone would steer me away, personally.

The consensus favorite for the review was the Jet 14" model. I'll try to
dig up the link to this article.

FWIW.

Brian.

"Forrest Chamberlain" wrote in message
news
I've heard good things about the Powermatic 14" bandsaw (mostly here,
actually), but can't find much info about it. Powermatic's web site
doesn't mention it at all, and Amazon doesn't carry it. Can anyone
point me to some info and/or places (preferably online) that are selling

it?

Thanks,

Forrest

Unisaw A100

I did a complete tip to tail write up on mine. Here's
the link.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

:-)

UA100

Unisaw A100

Brian wrote:
The consensus favorite for the review was the Jet 14" model. I'll try to
dig up the link to this article.

Oh Brian.

Prepare yourself for a Bay Area Dave Moment.

UA100
Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
that is a TOTAL CROCK, Brian. I have one AFTER seeing a brand new unit
run at the WW show. IT is smoother than the Delta. In fact it doesn't
vibrate any more than a sewing machine. I'm serious. It is SWEET.

Bay Area Dave

He doesn't even own one; how the hell would he know if it vibrated or
not? We all know the trouble I had with the Delta and all the tips for
replacing the Delta's sheave, etc, to ATTEMPT to tame that beast. At
least the few X5's I've seen aren't as bad as the 299A.

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

that is a TOTAL CROCK, Brian. I have one AFTER seeing a brand new unit
run at the WW show. IT is smoother than the Delta. In fact it doesn't
vibrate any more than a sewing machine. I'm serious. It is SWEET.

Bay Area Dave

not sure if my last post made it through.

if not: here is a paraphrase of it:

earth to Keith: that is NOT the BS in question! ROTFLMAO!

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:
I did a complete tip to tail write up on mine. Here's
the link.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

:-)

UA100

Brian

OK, then its a crock. Don't shoot the messenger. Let me find that link and
get back to you.... BTW, since I'm not far from the Bay Area, maybe I could
check yours out in person. :-)

Brian.

om...

Brian wrote:

[...]

Brian

Here's the quote: "The only one that had a problem with vibration was the
Powermatic. With this saw, the nuts that held the stand together vibrated
loose. And the table rattled and shook when I made a bevel cut."

And the link: http://www.woodnet.net/toolreviews/bsaw_rev.html

Now, with the vibration "issue" aside, it doesn't sound like they disliked
the Powermatic per se, but that the Powermatic didn't shine above the

Brian wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Brian wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

geez, Brian, I don't think I was "shooting the messenger"! I didn't
call you names did I? Did I insult you? Didn't mean too, just by
saying that the article about vibration was a 'crock'.

where city are you in?

dave

Brian wrote:

[...]

Brian

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Be that as it may, and I don't doubt that is, the article is an interesting
read and would be interested in your constructive comments on the things it
points out. :-)

Brian.

Bay Area Dave

where again is the article? I'd be curious to see it! I hated the Delta
I had, even though LOTS of guys like theirs, and I can't fathom how
anyone seeing and using the new Powermatic could not like it far better
than the Delta. I realize that's my opinion, but this is a NEW tool,
that not many guys have seen yet. When they do they are gonna wish they
didn't have the Delta. Just like I wish I didn't have a 733 planer, now
that the 735 is out. That is a dynamite planer. I've seen it in
action, and have peered under the hood. Blade changes are easier, 3
cutters, double sided, yeah, baby!

dave

Brian wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Be that as it may, and I don't doubt that is, the article is an interesting
read and would be interested in your constructive comments on the things it
points out. :-)

Brian.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness.

All tests should be read with skepticism, both the good and the bad reports.
The vibration could be real, but it could be an assembly problem, or perhaps
a bad pulley or belt. They did not try to correct it from what was printed.

Sort of like "my neighbor had a flat tire on his Ford. I'm not buying a
Ford because they get flat tires."
Ed

Bay Area Dave

for what I use it for, the new Powermatic runs like a dream too! not
everyone needs a behemoth tool to build the next Queen Mary.

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

I did a complete tip to tail write up on mine. Here's
the link.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

:-)

UA100

Ayup, Keeter got one of the good ones. Solid Frame not split, they run
like dreams. When JET bought PM I think that was the first one they
dumped from the line and replaced with a JET type.

Me, today I would buy a General of Canada solid frame bandsoar.

If I want to do serious re-saw work I would think seriously of a
larger machine with true re-saw capabilities.
OR a good piece of old ahrn like a WT or Cresent.
Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd/

Groggy

Dave Fleming wrote in message
Ayup, Keeter got one of the good ones. Solid Frame not split, they run
like dreams. When JET bought PM I think that was the first one they
dumped from the line and replaced with a JET type.

They called it the "JET type" because of the characteristic whine it
produces in some owners...

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 01:29:15 GMT, Unisaw A100
brought forth from the murky depths:

Bay Area Dave wrote:
that is a TOTAL CROCK, Brian. I have one AFTER seeing a brand new unit
run at the WW show. IT is smoother than the Delta. In fact it doesn't
vibrate any more than a sewing machine. I'm serious. It is SWEET.

A "bowel area dave movement" is more like it.

Please don't quote the trolls, sir.

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online
Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
earth to Keith: that is NOT the BS in question! ROTFLMAO!

You know, now that you mention it, I do believe you might
be right. Here. Try this link.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

UA100
Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
Brian! That's a different saw! That's not the one I have. First
Keith; now you! You guys are talking ancient history.

Dave,

Is this the saw you've got?

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

UA100
Brian

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...
Brian! That's a different saw! That's not the one I have. First
Keith; now you! You guys are talking ancient history.

dave

Ah. OK, which Powermatic bandsaw are we talking about then? I guess
the original post didn't specify a model number. Or, is the one in
the link discontinued?

Brian.

Brian

Just like I wish I didn't have a 733 planer, now
that the 735 is out. That is a dynamite planer. I've seen it in
action, and have peered under the hood. Blade changes are easier, 3
cutters, double sided, yeah, baby!

dave

179 CPI too!! Rotatable blades was long time coming for Dewalt, too.

I'll soon have a DW735 in my garage. :-)

Brian.
Bay Area Dave

perhaps Jaques will turn over a new leaf come New Years? His resolution
should be to post something on-topic...sigh...

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

that is a TOTAL CROCK, Brian. I have one AFTER seeing a brand new unit
run at the WW show. IT is smoother than the Delta. In fact it doesn't
vibrate any more than a sewing machine. I'm serious. It is SWEET.

Rich

Bay Area Dave wrote in message . com...
call Southern Tool at 1-800-458-3687 ...

I have the Jet version of the exact same BS. Only difference is the
Jet sells for $250 USD less. Check it out also.

HTH
Rich

Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
Nope.

Damn! And here I'm trying so hard to please you.

Is this it?

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

UA100
Unisaw A100

George Berlinger wrote:
And I was thinking abvout buying a Powermatic 14"CS.....confusing...think
i,ll look them all over at the woodworking show.....hmmm...

George,

Does your saw look like this?

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=973

UA100
Unisaw A100

Bay Area Dave wrote:
what are you smoking??? the Jet is NOT the same BS by any means! too
many differences for me to even bother listing.

Actually Dave is right. They are all clones of the Delta
only made by children in China.

UA100

Forrest Chamberlain

Dave (and anyone else who's seen the new saw)--

What's the model #? Can I ask where you got it? I've been googling for
it, and can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Thanks,

Forrest

Brian wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Be that as it may, and I don't doubt that is, the article is an

interesting

read and would be interested in your constructive comments on the
things

it

points out. :-)

Brian.

Forrest Chamberlain

Oops, my bad. You said to check out Southern Tool--I assume this is it:
http://www.southern-tool.com/store/p...s_bandsaw.html. I'd
be interested in any other references anyone has, though.

Thanks,

Forrest

Brian wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Be that as it may, and I don't doubt that is, the article is an

interesting

read and would be interested in your constructive comments on the
things

it

points out. :-)

Brian.

Bay Area Dave

it is the PWBS-14. LIST is around $850 Google my earlier posts about
features.

Just sweeetend it up a bit today with a fine-cutting 3/16 scroll blade.
I'm in love...

dave

Brian wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...

that's anecdotal and just plain silly. The saw is phenomenal. Trust
me, I'm one of the "picky" ones. Plenty of folks can vouch for my
persnicketyness. Google my complaints about the PC557 if you don't
think I notice every little thing...and that's just for starters.

dave

Be that as it may, and I don't doubt that is, the article is an

interesting

read and would be interested in your constructive comments on the
things

it

points out. :-)

Brian.

Bay Area Dave

hey! that's it! I didn't even notice it today in my haste. Good going!

CB Tools in San Jose has them as of today. They can't keep 'em in stock.

dave

Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
Vintage Powermatic lathes Jim Wilson Woodworking 11 September 29th 03 01:56 AM