Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scary Sharp - Wet/Dry with Water?

Probably a silly question. When sharpening a plane or chisel using "SS". is
the wet/dry sandpaper actually used with water, or is it used dry?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 10:51*am, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
Probably a silly question. *When sharpening a plane or chisel using "SS".. is
the wet/dry sandpaper actually used with water, or is it used dry?

dry is fine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 10:51*am, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
Probably a silly question. *When sharpening a plane or chisel using "SS". is
the wet/dry sandpaper actually used with water, or is it used dry?

I've always done it dry; it's just way more clean and convenient.

But I think the results might be better if you used water. Swarf
removal and all.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Probably a silly question. When sharpening a plane or chisel
using "SS". is the wet/dry sandpaper actually used with water,
or is it used dry?

The coarse part dry. The final wet. I've used 600 to 6000 grit
wet. Besides if you use a piece of glass as your base wet sand
paper likes to stick to it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

The coarse part dry. The final wet. I've used 600 to 6000 grit
wet. Besides if you use a piece of glass as your base wet sand
paper likes to stick to it.

That's the way I've been doing it. I only go to 2000, though. Didn't even
know you could get 6000.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:

The coarse part dry. The final wet. I've used 600 to 6000 grit
wet. Besides if you use a piece of glass as your base wet sand
paper likes to stick to it.

That's the way I've been doing it. I only go to 2000, though.
Didn't even know you could get 6000.

I'm thinking it was 6,000 could be less. It's been awhile since
I've sharpened my chisels. I get them at Rockler.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"