DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage Storage Cabinets ?? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/240185-re-garage-storage-cabinets.html)

[email protected] March 27th 08 08:02 AM

Garage Storage Cabinets ??

On 21 Mar 2008 13:40:36 GMT, "dan" wrote:

Time to organize the garage. I plan to build my own storage cabinets
using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood - I'm leaning towards 1/2". These will be
sitting on adjustable "feet" so the bottom would most likely be 3/4". I
plan on having some adjustable shelves and sliding shelves. There will
be doors on most if not all of the cabinets. I would like these to look
fairly nice, durable and easy to clean. Should I paint or finish with
urethane?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

On my last garage I made several top and bottom cabinets using 1/2"
plywood. I found 1/2" thickness plywood is more than adequate.
However, for the adjustable shelving, I used both side 1/4" plywood
sandwiches with leftover 1/2" plywood (cut to size to obtain 3/4"
thickness and glue three to four lengthwise and at both ends). You
really cannot tell whether I use 3/4" or ½" plywood. There are no
signed of sagging. You can see pics of the cabinets in abpw, under
"Garage Cabinets."

I moved and now planning to make the same ½" plywood, face frame top
and lower cabinets. As for the "feet," or Kick Frame," I use ½"
leftover plywood running the full length of lower cabinets. I save
time and plywood using this method. You can learn more if you can get
hold of a copy of "American Woodworking" February 1999, #71 (Built
tour own "Shop Cabinets" page 42). Further, I strongly suggest you
email John Paquay ,
http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay to buy ($9) a copy of "Building
Your Own Kitchen Cabinetry."

Good Luck.