Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Type of Wood - Mudroom Assistance

Hello,

I am looking at building a pretty simple cabinet and bench for our mud
room. I am pretty new at this but have been using Oak for other
things in my house and would like to change it up a little bit. The
mudroom area is a kind of dark so I was looking at doing a lighter
stain so it didn't make it any darker in there.

What type of wood would people use for this project and would also
look good with an oak baseboard and raised panel doors that are
already present? I was thinking pine or aspen since they seem pretty
reasonable? Both pretty soft, but I am thinking about trying to go
with a used look for the wood with the nail holes, etc.

The area I am looking at putting this in is 42 inches deep by 36 wide
by 8 feet tall. A very strange deep area. I was thinking on making
the sitting bench nearly as deep as this spot and then stacking 2
drawers side by side running the width of the area but make them only
around 24 inches deep. I would then add two tall cabinets that sit on
top of the drawers and run nearly to the ceiling making them the same
depth as the drawers. This configuration seems a little strange, but
I can't think of a better way to utilize this area. Any ideas or
pictures of things maybe you have done that could help?

Thanks for the assistance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, 9 times out of 10 my response to any question about what wood to
use is White Oak. The other 1 out of 10 I'll say Cherry.

WO is a good choice for wet environments. Sturdy. Looks good beat up.
You can just add a varnish and get a creamy yellowish color or stain
it to varying darkness'. If you use quartersawn, you get the addition
of some nice grain pattern\figure. Generally available and not
outlandishly expensive.

Look at http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...adshow_180.asp
at the cabinet at the bottom of the page for a good idea of a mid
range color. This has been slightly darkened.

As always with any oak, even if you are goig with a natural color it
is best to put a dark stain over a seal coat so you darken the grain
line patterns. Just apply shellac, then (after it dries of course)
wipe on a dark walnut gel stain and immediatly wipe it off. This will
leave the grain lines darkened. If you want an antiqued look, just
wipe less of it off in the corners, crevices, etc. You can really make
it look old by doing this and it is very easy to control if you keep
it wet while you decide how much to wipe off.

One trick I use to add a faux old look is to aggressively sand out
areas where there would have been natural wear, like edges of doors
near the handle, table corners, etc. Then when applying the darkening
layer, wipe it very clear at the wear areas to look as if some color
has been worn away too.