Eno Case

Default Preparing moisture-resistant MDF

Could anyone give me some advice on MDF.

I've got some moisture-resistant (green stuff) MDF panels in my bathroom.
They're to get painted ultimately, but I don't know how to best prepare them
first.

diluted PVA? International MDF Primer?

Because the MDF itself is moisture-resistant, does this affect how I prime
it?

Would I be better to use oil-based or water-based primers.

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Eno

'Thenie

"Eno Case" wrote in message
Could anyone give me some advice on MDF.

I've got some moisture-resistant (green stuff) MDF panels in my bathroom.
They're to get painted ultimately, but I don't know how to best prepare

them
first.

I work as one of many cabinetmakers in a small award-winning high-end shop,
and I work with materials ranging from both flat and profiled paint-grade
mdf as well as good quality veneered sheet goods and solid fine and exotic
woods.

However, being a cabinetmaker I only make the units, not finish them. The
good news is that we have a top-notch finishing department, and I posed your
question to the head of that department.

Our finisher reports that any material going into a high-humidity
environment (such as a bathroom or a kitchen) should be primed with an
oil-based primer. Basically, oil-based primer and paint will be resistant
to mildew, making removal just a matter of sponge-wiping the surface
whenever you see the beginning traces of mildew.

I do hope this answers your question.

-Chris