Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do I get the steam for a steam-pipe?

I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes
in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and
ordinary technique, according to my research.

Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the
specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I
get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons
(probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).

What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood
pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by
appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the
job for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes
in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and
ordinary technique, according to my research.

Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the
specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I
get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons
(probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).

What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood
pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by
appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the
job for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Any electric kettle with the thermostat taped on and with a hose connecting
to the pipe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 6:05 am, wrote:
I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes
in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and
ordinary technique, according to my research.

Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the
specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I
get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons
(probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).

What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood
pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by
appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the
job for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You can use pretty much any heat source. If it's got a flame, do it
outdoors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I built a boat using an electric wallpaper steamer hitched to a very long
plastic bag. Worked like a charm. I've also used a pipe with an end welded
on, water in the pipe, pipe in the woodstove, stock in the pipe. It too
works well although steel pipe will turn oak to purple!
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes
in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and
ordinary technique, according to my research.

Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the
specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I
get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons
(probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).

What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood
pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by
appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the
job for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I used one many years ago that used a round 3 gallon gas can, setting on
a outdoor burner, with a radiator hose connected to the spout and pipe.
The spout was just the right size to wedge the hose over. I haven't
seen the old fashioned cans in a long time, maybe try a farm store. The
newer safety cans could probably be modified fairly easy. I suggest you
don't try using one that has had gas in it.

--
Bill B.

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 6:05 am, wrote:
I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes
in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and
ordinary technique, according to my research.

Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the
specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I
get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons
(probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).

What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood
pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by
appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the
job for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You need an uninterrupted heat source. I use a Fisher burner
connected to a gas line that heats a large tea kettle (a $2 Goodwill
item). An electric burner should work sell too. Propane tanks are
not so good as they can deplete. Most of my steaming takes about an
hour or a little more. Protect your hands and get a pair of leather
gloves. BBQ tongs can be helpful. Your materials for steaming should
not be expensive at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Feb, 11:05, wrote:
How do I get the steam???

Here in the UK I use a £20 steam wallpaper stripper (Earlex have
lasted me the best).
http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/steam_html/ss100.htm

2 or 3kW electric heater, enough water for about an hour and they even
supply a steamproof hose.

NB - Use plastic pipe, not steel! You'll get staining otherwise, even
with galvanised.

Steam MikeMandaville Metalworking 39 May 26th 06 05:30 AM
steam pipe insulation john wilson Home Repair 3 April 9th 06 03:07 PM
Steam Engine Valve Gear driven by Steam Pressure? [email protected] Metalworking 25 September 2nd 05 05:16 PM
Steam Heat - 1 pipe system - worth turning one radiator off? chris_290 Home Ownership 0 December 28th 04 12:28 PM
Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe Vito Cavallo Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:51 PM