DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BS Tune up (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/23420-bs-tune-up.html)

Rob V November 13th 03 11:10 PM

BS Tune up

Its pretty amazing what a tune up will do.

Ive had my bandsaw for about 2 years now and it has always been just an OK
tool to me.
About 3 months ago I picked up a riser block for it b/c I had some nice
thick boards I wanted to resaw. I installed the block and the stock blade
and went for it - results were less than impressive to say the least. I
knew not to expect miracles but the results were pretty dissapointing. I
really didnt have too much time to mess w/ it so I just kind of made due w/
it as is. Getting more and more ****ed each time I had to use it.
The other week I was in the local woodcraft store where they had timberwolf
blades on sale so I spoke w/ one of the guys there and explained what I
wanted to do and the kind of saw I had (Jet 14 closed base) - he recommended
a blade and off I went.
(Driveby - neener : I learned how to twist the BS blade into that cool
little loop )
I finally had some time today so I spent the better part of 2 hours
installing the new blade and tuning up the saw to the Nth degree. Also -
replaced the stock guides w/ some hardwood ones soaked in WD40 (thanks for
the suggestion).
Any way - after it was all done - I figured it was time to try it again -
worked like a dream.
I was able to slice off a nice 1/8" x 8" x3 foot long of poplar on the first
try =)
Holly Crap was pretty much all I could think of - I should have done this a
long time ago.

Its amazing the difference a good tune up will do to your tools.

Just figured Id post this for all those procrastinators out there =)

Gerald Ross November 14th 03 12:09 AM

BS Tune up

I wouldn't give the tune-up all the credit. Put your old blade back on
and tune it up and try it.

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Preston Andreas November 14th 03 01:05 AM

BS Tune up

I did the same thing he did, only I put on an old blade. I thought it was
dull and it cut a bow in wood when resawing. After the tune up, the blade
cut like it was new and it cut straight. I attribute most of it to getting
the upper and lower wheels coplanar. It really does make a difference.

Preston

Luigi Zanasi November 14th 03 07:59 AM

BS Tune up

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:10:08 GMT, "Rob V" scribbled

Its amazing the difference a good tune up will do to your tools.

Just figured Id post this for all those procrastinators out there =)

I've been procrastinating for 11-12 years or so to fix up my ca. 1952
Delta Milwaukee (Thanks, Keith, for the list of serial #s and dates on
OWWM) 14" bandsaw. I finally ordered new blades and cool-blocks from
LVT and a tension spring and tires from Ace Tool Repair in Smithers
(which is practically next door to me, close to the southern end of
the Stewart-Cassiar dirt t^H^H^H^H^H^H highway).

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature,
he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out
his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can
use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts
into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and
fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools.
Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all."
Thomas Carlyle

Unisaw A100 November 14th 03 10:20 AM

BS Tune up

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
Ace Tool Repair in Smithers (which is practically next
door to me, close to the southern end of the Stewart-
Cassiar dirt t^H^H^H^H^H^H highway).

Yahbut, did you actually go there, see it, smell the
cosmolene? Reason I ask is I want to know, is it as
good as I always envisioned?

UA100, wondering about a pilgrimage to Ace Tool Repair...

Mo' Sawdust November 14th 03 02:12 PM

BS Tune up

At least now the Stewart portion is closer to valley floor.
And two lanes. ;-)

--
There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

Luigi Zanasi November 16th 03 05:03 AM

BS Tune up

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:20:51 GMT, Unisaw A100
queried:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
Ace Tool Repair in Smithers (which is practically next
door to me, close to the southern end of the Stewart-
Cassiar dirt t^H^H^H^H^H^H highway).

Yahbut, did you actually go there, see it, smell the
cosmolene? Reason I ask is I want to know, is it as
good as I always envisioned?

UA100, wondering about a pilgrimage to Ace Tool Repair...

By practically next door, I mean about only 1,200 kilometres. Last
time I went through Smithers was in 1990 or thereabouts, so, sorry,
the answers your questions are, unfortunately, since Ace Tool Repair
did not exist then: no and I don't know.