Mr.Fix It

Default WTB Canadian Tire Money

Looking to build an assortment of tools for a new shop, but funds are
limited. If anyone needs a little extra $$ i'll buy the canadian tire $$ at
a exchang rate. Anyone interested or offers feel free to email me

remove the obvious....

thanks in advance

Unisaw A100

Oh please, send me your address right away. This sounds
like something I need to become involved with.

Gotta go. The brother-in-law to the president of Nigeria is
calling me to find out where I want my funds sent.

UA100

Tom Watson

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:47:36 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Gotta go. The brother-in-law to the president of Nigeria is
calling me to find out where I want my funds sent.

OK but would you ask him about a question that has been bothering me
for a really long time:

Why do Dexter and his sister Deedee have different accents?

It keeps me up nights.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:05:25 -0500, "Mr.Fix It"
wrote:

Looking to build an assortment of tools for a new shop, but funds are
limited. If anyone needs a little extra $$ i'll buy the canadian tire $$ at
a exchang rate. Anyone interested or offers feel free to email me

remove the obvious....

thanks in advance

Maybe we could help each other. Have you got any Air miles to trade?

Clint Neufeld

People up here actually do that. Canadian Tire is a big chain, kind of like
Walmart with more of a home-improvement and automotive slant. They give
back a percentage of your purchase in "Canadian Tire Money". It's useless
anywhere else but Canadian Tire, so some people accumulate bunches of it and
never get around to using it again. I think my FIL had about $60 worth of
it. So if someone wants to give you $50 in real money for $75 in CTM, it
can work for both people.

Anyways, just my $0.02 (CTM)

Clint

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Oh please, send me your address right away. This sounds
like something I need to become involved with.

Gotta go. The brother-in-law to the president of Nigeria is
calling me to find out where I want my funds sent.

UA100

Eric Tonks

I have heard of some stores, for a special program to compete with Canadian
Tire, actually acepting Canadian Tire Money.

For Americans that wonder what we are talking about, the rebate coupons are
issued in denominations of 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c and $1.00. They are slightly
smaller than real money, but they are printed by the same people who print
the actual paper money, using the same process and a similar quality of
paper.

I have heard of some unscrupulous Canadian travelers actually paying hotel
or restaurant bills in foreign countries with the CTC money. The proprietor
would be furious when the bank rejected it.

"Clint Neufeld" wrote in message
[...]

Michael Daly

On 5-Nov-2003, "Eric Tonks" wrote:

I have heard of some unscrupulous Canadian travelers actually paying hotel
or restaurant bills in foreign countries with the CTC money. The proprietor
would be furious when the bank rejected it.

Apocryphal tale, probably urban legend. Usually has "Georgia" in it and
the trip is "driving to Florida". At least in Eastern Canada. Might
be "Oregon" and "California" for the westerners.

The key, of course, is the fact that the printer puts a copyright on
the coupons - "(C) Canadian Bank Note Company Limited" This is
apparently the kicker for the rube sceptic who finally is convinced
that it's a real bill.

Mike

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:48:45 -0500, "Eric Tonks"
scribbled

I have heard of some stores, for a special program to compete with Canadian
Tire, actually acepting Canadian Tire Money.

For Americans that wonder what we are talking about, the rebate coupons are
issued in denominations of 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c and $1.00. They are slightly
smaller than real money, but they are printed by the same people who print
the actual paper money, using the same process and a similar quality of
paper.

I have heard of some unscrupulous Canadian travelers actually paying hotel
or restaurant bills in foreign countries with the CTC money. The proprietor
would be furious when the bank rejected it.

For some history and samples:

http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/ctmoney.html

Now you can get Canadian Tire Money on your special Crappy Tire
Mastercard (I have one). So you can get the electronic version of
Canadian Tire money on any purchase anywhere.

OBWW: Canadian Tire also sells Mastercraft tools (hand and power), of
about the same quality as their Sears counterparts.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address
Unisaw A100

Tom Watson wrote:
Why do Dexter and his sister Deedee have different accents?

Dexter is the truth and the light. DeeDee, well, you just
gotta lover here. Oh, your question, different mothers.

What I want to know is, being involved with cornstruction,
who helped him build that laboratory?

It keeps me up nights.

I still awake to the teeth gnashing and wailing (whaling?)
of all those good people who got screwed outta their
CabinetMaster clamps.

sigh...

UA100
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Eric Tonks" wrote in message
isi.com...
I have heard of some stores, for a special program to compete with

Canadian
Tire, actually acepting Canadian Tire Money.

When I was the manager of a Home Hardware store we accepted Canadian Tire
money at par, might have had something to do with the fact the owner had
once been very close to the top of the corporate ladder with Canadian Tire
Corp, anyhow we used to separate it from the till at the end of the day &
every time it came to $20 he would replace it with a $20 bill from his
wallet & put the Canadian Tire money in his pocket.....no doubt he was still
a regular shopper at Canadian tire himself.

I had noticed when often at his farm he had a good mix of Canadian Tire
(Mastercraft / Motomaster etc) & Home Hardware (Unival / Beauti-tone /
Benchmark / Home etc) products both new & old.

--
© Jon Down ®

mttt

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

I still awake to the teeth gnashing and wailing (whaling?)
of all those good people who got screwed outta their
CabinetMaster clamps.

Sorry!!! My bad!

I'll pop that dental guard back in my mouth!
But can I still sleep in your closet?

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I have heard of some unscrupulous Canadian travelers actually paying hotel
or restaurant bills in foreign countries with the CTC money.

You might just about pass some of them off on a drunken Burns Night,
except that the mis-spelling of "tyre" makes them obvious fakes.

wrote:

I have heard of some unscrupulous Canadian travelers actually paying hotel
or restaurant bills in foreign countries with the CTC money.

When i was a young fellow in the navy in the mid sixties some of the
guys passed off Cdn tire money in some of the caribbean islands. This
was really an unfriendly and unneccesary thing to do as our money at
that time was about twice the value. it was also very dangerous to
ones career. I didn't have any Cdn tire money myself as i was only 18
and probably hadn't even been in their store yet. There were many more
places i found more interesting than the Cdn t\Tire stores in Halifax.
Ken

You might just about pass some of them off on a drunken Burns Night,
except that the mis-spelling of "tyre" makes them obvious fakes.

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

wrote:

When i was a young fellow in the navy in the mid sixties some of the
guys passed off Cdn tire money in some of the caribbean islands. This
was really an unfriendly and unneccesary thing to do as our money at
that time was about twice the value. it was also very dangerous to
ones career. I didn't have any Cdn tire money myself as i was only 18
and probably hadn't even been in their store yet. There were many more
places i found more interesting than the Cdn t\Tire stores in Halifax.
Ken

LOL

Canadian Tire money does not have the buying power it once had:

OTTAWA-- Foreign markets, a fluctuating European economy, and a shortage of
barbecue equipment have all been attributed as determining factors in the
recent drop of the Canadian Tire dollar.

The Bank of Canadian Tire, headquartered in Toronto, refused comment.
Analysts say that the decline in the dollar is likely to continue. Until
recently, the bank's strategy for dealing with the dropping value of its
colorful money has been to print more.

The plan backfired.

"I used to be able to buy a mini-socket set with a fist-full of Canadian
Tire notes," said Elliott Whitezit, a customer since 1959. "Now I need an
over-flowing wheel-barrow to get a tin of car wax."

"All the conditions were in place for a weakening of the dollar," said
Reuben Magyeski, currency strategist at Deutsche Bank Securities in London.
"The whole emerging-markets situation may have been the catalyst for a
long-awaited return to reality. This is a market correction not unlike the
Monopoly money crash of 1972."

In 1972 Parker Brothers money was so devalued it wasn't worth the paper it
was printed on.

Safeway's and Save-On-Foods' points cards, not to mention the ubiquitous
Zellers' Club Zed points card have also contributed to the decline of
Canadian Tire dollar. Plastic cards are perceived as being more "sexy" than
paper.

"It's part of the whole 'new economy'," commented Mr. Magyeski. "I mean, who
carries around cash anymore? Everything is paid for by plastic: debit cards
and credit cards, including Canadian Tire's own credit card. Pieces of paper
are perceived as 'old-school', something grandma would carry along with her
sachets of lavender."

Canadian Tire money has also been confused as complimentary bookmarks. "I
thought it was a little odd," said Mathilda Enterwhist, who had just
purchased a set of 4 double-A batteries for her pen flashlight, which she
had also bought at Canadian Tire. "They don't even sell novels. Why would
they give me a bookmark?"

From The Toque (ha ha)

--
© Jon Down ®

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Upscale" wrote in message
news

"P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº3" wrote in message
news
Canadian Tire money does not have the buying power it once had:

OTTAWA-- Foreign markets, a fluctuating European economy, and a shortage

of
barbecue equipment have all been attributed as determining factors in

the
recent drop of the Canadian Tire dollar.

Don't forget one of the biggest reasons. A few years back, the amount

given
on purchases was devalued from 5% down to the current 3%.

I dunno, but I feel incomplete without a wad of Canadian Tire money in my
wallet....I've even seen guys who reserve a separate compartment for the
darn stuff. Bud Rodkins for one:

I'm Not Sure, But I Don't Think My Canadian Tire Money Is Legal Tender

The girl at the bank wouldn't take my Canadian Tire money yesterday.

What's up with that? I've been using my Canadian Tire money for years and
years at all kinds of stores (mostly Canadian Tire stores, now that I think
of it), and nobody complained. Well, I complained a little, but only because
they come in such ridiculously low denominations, like five cents. Who needs
a five cent bill? Not me, certainly. I had to save up wads and wads of the
stuff just to buy a barbecue.

I started asking my friends, and they were equally puzzled with the bank
girl's actions. They did clear up one thing, however, and that was that
Canadian Tire money isn't given as change, it's given as a sort of bonus.
What kind of crappy bonus is that? I buy a friggen 20$ hammer and they give
me six cents "bonus"? Oohh, I'm scoring high now!

Anyway, I examined my bill, and on very close inspection, there are
differences between it and regular currency. For instance, although they
both share the same green color, regular money doesn't have a Scottish lad
all bundled up for winter printed on it. Also, most standard currency
doesn't have the Canadian Tire logo quite so prominently placed. However, as
near as I can remember, both currencies have the words "CASH BONUS"
emblazoned on them. You can see how I was confused.

There are so many similarities! Both have illegible signatures, both have
wee little printing to make photocopying difficult, and both have lots of
maple leaves in the background. Well, call me a patriot, but if maple leaves
don't a Canadian currency make, then I don't know what does.

I wrote my local MPP, who said, "We regret to inform you that John Higgens
is to busy at the time to respond to your questions or comments. He values
your input, however, and...." That's what he said. He even trailed off like
that in his letter. Man, they're not even trying anymore.

So my Canadian Tire money isn't valid, is it? I wonder if the federal
government knows of this little counter-currency operation. After a few
phone calls, it became clear that it does. Why they don't shut their
Canadian Tire asses down is beyond me. The people on the phone were unclear
on that matter.

But I'm fighting back. Every time the lady at the cash gives me Canadian
Tire money, I'm going to demand real money. That's only fair. And if the
cash lady doesn't give it to me, well, let's just say one of us is going to
walk away unhappy.

And you can do your part too! Tell all your friends that their Canadian Tire
money is fake and illegitimate! If they don't believe you, or try to get you
to shut up and go away, shout it at the top of your lungs so that everybody
can hear! I usually foam at the mouth for emphasis. That's the best part.

LOL

--
© Jon Down ®