Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Options for short grain quarter-sawn white oak paneling

I need to get a 4x5 short-grain (i.e. grain runs the 4ft length) of
quarter sawn white oak.

I have the following options:
1. Custom order short grain 1/4" veneer plywood (approx $250+)
2. Apply paper-backed 1/40" thick veneer to 1/4" birch plywood
substrate ($150 total cost)
3. Apply wood-backed 1/40" thick veneer to 1/4" birch plywood (approx
$200 total cost)
4. Create a seam and cover with wood stile using standard grain 4x8
plywood (total cost $130)

My concern with applying the veneer myself (either paper or wood
backed) is the potential difficulty of doing a quality job of applying
the contact cement without mess or bubbles to such a large sheet and
whether it will look as good as factory-applied veneer. But maybe it
is easier than it sounds...

Also, does anybody know of a direct source for custom short-grain
veneer jobs since my local place would end up ordering it elsewhere
too and I would likely have to pay double shipping.

Thanks