Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Woodworking Book Source

I've long been in favor of used bookstores to bu woodworking books.
Well, one used bookstore anyway, the rest all seem to have few. New
books only seem to have about one proect, at most, with prices in the
$25 and up range. The used books are a lot more interesting, with a lot
lower prices.

However, the last time I stopped at my favorite used bookstore, a
week or so ago, they had a toy book I was interested in. But it was
priced higher than I thought it was worth to me, maybe around $8. So I
passed. But later, when I got home, I checked an on-oine book seller.
The same book, including postage, would cost less than the used
bookstore would have charged. I've been buing used books on-line for a
few years now, but only books I couldn't find locally, i.e. - in a used
bookstore. The bookstore I frequent is in Raleigh, and I don't get in
there that much anymore, gas is too much for just a book trip, espelly
when I have no idea what they might have. So, the on-line option looks
even better now.

Bit if you guys just want to look for a specific type plan, go
visit your local library. Most of you don't even thing about that,
until someone tells you. That's probably the greatest single source of
plans in the known galaxy. I used to have a larger woodworking boo
selection than my local library. But now I can't say that. But if they
don't have a book, for a not large fee, they can borrow a specific book
for you from another library.

Even if I find a new book I really want, I check on-line prices for
a used copy before I buy, Usually I can get a copy for at least a
fourth of the price in a new bookstore.

I'm frugal, not cheap. A bit back, I got a used book, limited
edition, scare, and paid $99 for it, which did include shipping. I'd
been looking for a copy for a lonnnng time, and the only copy I'd seen
for sale was listed at about $290. It is not on woodworking, it is
"Single Shot Actions - Their Design and Construction". Nice book, loads
of info I hadn't found before, but also not quite what I was after.
Anyone interested, I'll seel it for $50, including postage. Autographed
by Frank de Haas, the author, who is now deceased. Apparently the book
will never be reprinted, because the family lost the copyright, and the
new owner of the copyright is not willing to reprint. Strange..

JOAT
You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up
all night.