Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Aviation Snips - Required tools for parents

So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas
gifts. Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it
has just become apparent to me. The Nintendo Wii played a large part
in Christmas this year, and I've gotta tell you - the packaging that
those things come in is downright dangerous. Not necessarily the Wii
itself, but the accessories - battery chargers, additional remotes,
"Nunchucks", etc... I'd rather freehand on a table saw than open one
of those things! After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips
from the shop and had no trouble at all. Scissors don't cut it; you
need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that
tough.

That said, the Wii is one heck of a fun time.

end public service announcement

JP
*********************
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Those blister packs ARE dangerous! I use the pair of electric B&D snippers
I have, a great item for those with any kind of arthritis.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:54:37 -0700, "asmurff"
wrote:

Those blister packs ARE dangerous! I use the pair of electric B&D snippers
I have, a great item for those with any kind of arthritis.

Sounds like a great use for a Multimaster!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 7:48*am, Jay Pique wrote:
So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas
gifts. *Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it
has just become apparent to me. *The Nintendo Wii played a large part
in Christmas this year, and I've gotta tell you - the packaging that
those things come in is downright dangerous. *Not necessarily the Wii
itself, but the accessories - battery chargers, additional remotes,
"Nunchucks", etc... *I'd rather freehand on a table saw than open one
of those things! *After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips
from the shop and had no trouble at all. *Scissors don't cut it; you
need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that
tough.

My SWMBTS (She Who Must Be Taken Seriously, but I prefer Angela) gets
all kinds of data. Most not relevant to her clinic (strokes), but
interesting nonetheless.
The so-called theft prevention blister packs are usually way up there
when it comes to household injuries. WAY up there. The sharp/jagged
plastic itself most often the cause the wounds.
Another one that I see often near the top of the list are the very
serious injuries people sustain when the are trying to separate frozen
products, mostly hamburger patties.
Frozen items slippery. Finger numbed by cold, add heavy kitchen
knives, a slip off the cutting board, bingo.. deep (often to the bone)
cuts.
Fingers in car doors are quite common. Common burns are usually well
represented.

In other news, blown blood vessels in the brain are most often caused
by innocent people making an attempt at understanding the reason why
rap exists.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas
gifts. Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it
has just become apparent to me. The Nintendo Wii played a large part
in Christmas this year, and I've gotta tell you - the packaging that
those things come in is downright dangerous. Not necessarily the Wii
itself, but the accessories - battery chargers, additional remotes,
"Nunchucks", etc... I'd rather freehand on a table saw than open one
of those things! After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips
from the shop and had no trouble at all. Scissors don't cut it; you
need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that
tough.

Yeah, those blister packs are just plain dangerous. Office stores now
sell a tool to help open them.

That said, the Wii is one heck of a fun time.

end public service announcement

JP
*********************
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas
gifts. Actually, it probably hasn't been for quite a while, but it
has just become apparent to me.

I use EMT shears on that stuff, it's too tough and unpredictable to cut
safely with a knife unless you're also wearing meat-cutter gloves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Learned that one long ago. Get ground beef, make patties, wrap each
separately. Forget the prepackaged patties unless you're going to use
them right away.

Never will forget the first time my mother encountered a frozen bagel.
She was going to show me how it's done, thinking they could be
fork-split like an English Muffin. I just realized--_that_'s what you
you us a 9 inch 80 buck mostly plastic bandsaw for. Hmm, when I
finally get around to redoing the kitchen I'm going to have to make
sure to make room for one for that purpose and make a bagel carrier to
match.

Had a cousin who came to visit regularly, every damned time the first
thing she did was cut herself a piece of chees and need to go to the
emergency room to get sewn up. Finally started putting sliced cheese
out before she arrived and locking up everything with an edge.

Frozen items slippery. Finger numbed by cold, add heavy kitchen
knives, a slip off the cutting board, bingo.. deep (often to the
bone)
cuts.
Fingers in car doors are quite common. Common burns are usually well
represented.

In other news, blown blood vessels in the brain are most often
caused
by innocent people making an attempt at understanding the reason why
rap exists.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Our Health and Safety program at work is very rigorous. Our field
technicians are not allowed to use open-blade knives (belt knives,
pocket knives, box knives, &tc.) at all. They use kiddie-scissors to
cut plastic tubing, plastic sheeting, &tc.

Needless to say, the jobs take longer, but our safety record is very
good.

-Zz

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 04:48:14 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:fle9ki023f8
@news3.newsguy.com:

frozen bagel

Wet under cold water (takes 1.33 seconds at most).
Heat in microwave 40 seconds (for NYC Ess-A-Bagel bagels, others take less
time).
Slice hot bagel with serrated bread knife.
Examine fingers for burns.
Toast bagel until done to perfection (personal preference).
Seems rather risk free to me.
--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a bunch of these to give out for Christmas presents. They work
very well.
http://www.enjoyzibra.com/openit/
About $10 at Home Depot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

black powder. or napalm. bad words help.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 3:53*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote in news:22a51602-5df2-4aed-af80-
:

In other news, blown blood vessels in the brain are most often caused
by innocent people making an attempt at understanding the reason why
rap exists.

I'm sure I don't quite follow. *How is rap involved? *

In other news--- an attempt at humour.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote in news:2e851d6a-0598-4fce-a2f5-
:

[...]

Funny, I didn't have any trouble getting my Wii out of the package. Most
of it was just twist ties.

I don't even bother trying to open the plastic packaging nicely. I just
simply start cutting along the edges with my knife, get a finger or three
in, and pull.

Watch out for the next common Wii injury: Tennis elbow! Enjoy. :-)

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is the tool that I use. Works pretty well. Can't remember where I
bought it, but I DAGS and found this site pretty quick (I have no connection
to the company whatsoever)

http://www.myopenx.com/

Tom Dacon

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" writes:

Had a cousin who came to visit regularly, every damned time the first
thing she did was cut herself a piece of chees and need to go to the
emergency room to get sewn up. Finally started putting sliced cheese
out before she arrived and locking up everything with an edge.

Let me guess: All her knives were dull, so she wasn't in the habit of
treating knife edges as dangerous, and was in the habit of applying too
much pressure to get them to cut. Your knives were sharp. Right?

Still, cheese isn't exactly difficult to cut.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique writes:
So the jack-knife is no longer sufficient for opening Christmas
gifts. [...]
After a couple of near-misses I grabbed the snips
from the shop and had no trouble at all. Scissors don't cut it; you
need the mechanical advantage of compound action - the plastic is that
tough.

I have a set of heavy shears sold by Olfa that I use to open blister
packs that have been welded shut. They're sharp enough and heavy enough
to cut the plastic effectively (and they'll also cut thin metal like
shim stock). I suppose the compound aviation snips would work too, but
I've never needed the mechanical advantage, and they're slower.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Martindale wrote:
"J. Clarke" writes:

Had a cousin who came to visit regularly, every damned time the
first
thing she did was cut herself a piece of chees and need to go to
the
emergency room to get sewn up. Finally started putting sliced
cheese
out before she arrived and locking up everything with an edge.

Let me guess: All her knives were dull, so she wasn't in the habit
of
treating knife edges as dangerous, and was in the habit of applying
too much pressure to get them to cut. Your knives were sharp.
Right?

Bingo.

Still, cheese isn't exactly difficult to cut.

Which might be the problem.