Default What hardwood for jig runners?

Ok, so I have read many instructions (from like Woodsmith, Shop Notes, etc)
on how to make table saw jigs (like crosscut sleds, miter sleds, etc).

The problem is that no matter the source, when it comes to the non-plywood
parts, they just say "make this part out of hardwood" without recommending a
type.

Does it really just not make any difference? As long as it is some kind of
wood that's been milled from a tree, it doesn't matter?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good (but cheap, it is just a jig and not
an armoir after all) type of hardwood that would be a good runner in the
miter slot for jig making?

Signed,

Bewildered

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:05:36 GMT, wrote:

Does it really just not make any difference?

It makes a difference, but not much of one. I generally use whatever
is conveniently to hand, in a suitable size. Beech is good, because
the surface is hard wearing. I also give a good coating of beeswax
polish.

Charlie Self

Andy Dingley responds:

It makes a difference, but not much of one. I generally use whatever
is conveniently to hand, in a suitable size. Beech is good, because
the surface is hard wearing. I also give a good coating of beeswax
polish.

The beeswax is good, as is a note that you're using European beech, not
American which is much less stable. Maple, birch, white oak are among the best
in the States.

Charlie Self
"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be
common." Satchel Paige

John McCoy

wrote in news:QMInb.54781$e01.154653@attbi_s02:

The problem is that no matter the source, when it comes to the
non-plywood parts, they just say "make this part out of hardwood"
without recommending a type.

You want something that's hard, and not prone to change it's
shape (warp or swell/shrink with humidity). Oak is good,
as is hard maple. You probably wouldn't want to use something
like poplar, because it's softish & would wear quickly. If it's
hard work to plane, then it's probably good for this purpose :-)

That said, last jig I built I used cherry, because I had
a couple of scraps that were about the right size. Works
well enough.

John
Charlie Self

Andy Dingley responds:

I outsource the bee training. There's a chap who sells honey at the
local farmers market who also sells little two ounce blocks of beeswax
to sewers and crafters.

Every so often often I drop past and order twenty _pounds_ or so of
wax. Friend of mine is a black powder musket shooter and uses loads of
the stuff to make patch lube.

He must. My FIL was a beekeeper, actually still has a few hives (he's in his
80s, so is slowing down some, down under 100 hives now). I used to get it from
him for 2 bucks a chunk, usually about 1or 2 lbs. But that was uncleaned. My
BIL also raises bees, got some of his hives from his FIL, who is also my FIL,
so I'll probably be yanking his chain for the wax later on. Not too hard a
yank. Don is about 6' 7" or so. Real gentle guy and I'd as soon he stays that
way.

hardwood in Dayton, OH Woodworking 6 September 27th 03 04:32 AM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM