DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aftermarket chip breakers on old planes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/227393-aftermarket-chip-breakers-old-planes.html)

Zz Yzx December 26th 07 10:00 PM

Aftermarket chip breakers on old planes

I've restored several old Stanley bench planes (No.s 4, 5, 6), mostly
Type 13's (1930-1931) vintage. I install new Hock blades and Clifton
two-piece chip breakers, and I've had very good results.

But, on a Type 19 No. 3 (1940's - 1961), the rectangular slot on the
Clifton chip breaker that receives the depth adjustment lever doesn't
line up perfectly with the original. As a result, the depth
adjustment mechanism bottoms out before I can fully retract the blade
out of the throat. There's enough throat in front of the blade and
chip breaker, I just can't back the assembly out far enough to get a
good shaving.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz