Old October 30th 03, 01:18 AM
Unisaw A100

Default Continuing saga of WOODCRAFT/JORGENSEN

Larry Jaques wrote:
Who IS pulling all those global strings, anyway? You's a
gummint man. Fess up.

There's this guy.

OK, I've told too much.

UA100

Old October 31st 03, 06:56 AM
Michael Daly

On 30-Oct-2003, kenR wrote:

Actually, I'm fairly certain that what they did was to set up their
system to remove things from inventory when the purchase was completed,
and not when the customer placed it in their cart.

If they did that and the customer never completes the transaction, then
the item stays out of inventory even though not sold. They'd have to
design a timeout mechanism to put it back. Too long and they miss
inventory - too short and the customer finds his order suddenly
disappeared when he went to the bathroom. The web is stateless
and that makes foolproof transaction processing difficult at best.

Mike
Old October 31st 03, 02:52 PM
Swingman

I don't buy that. I cannot think of a single modern relational database that
does not have transactional processing built in ... this should not be a
problem/excuse, even in a stateless environment like the web.

It's done all the time. If what you say was the case, there would be no
Internet banking over the web.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Old October 31st 03, 03:04 PM
Swingman

Sorry, Mike ... I didn't mean that to sound so snippy. Had to work late and
still on the first cup of coffee. Mea culpa.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Old October 31st 03, 03:25 PM
Michael Daly

On 31-Oct-2003, "Swingman" wrote:

I cannot think of a single modern relational database that
does not have transactional processing built in

The relational database is hooked to the web server, not the
user. How does the relational database know what the user is
doing if the transaction takes several _independent_ steps?
Completion/rollback of a transaction has to be triggered from
something - what is that?

Mike
Old October 31st 03, 03:50 PM
Swingman

The mechanism varies. It could be as simple as a cookie, or a timeout, or as
complicated as a client side script and buffers. "Commit trans" is never
sent to the database without a specific, verifiable trigger mechanism ...
as I stated earlier, Internet banking would not be possible unless there was
a mechanism to do this in a stateless environment.

Hell, commerce on the Internet would be impossible if there was no
mechanisms for maintaining state on a web transaction.

Old November 1st 03, 11:24 PM
Groggy

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Oh, that's right. I forgot that it was -they- (our CIA) who
created Khadafy (Syria), Hussein (Iraq), the Shah (Iran),
and most of the other terrorists who are around today.

Khadafy is in Syria now? Man, I new some of these guys were nomadic, but
this is news - who's running Libya then? No, wait, who's on first isn't
he....

Greg