DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Joint question - Using turned legs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/22598-joint-question-using-turned-legs.html)

Brooklin October 25th 03 12:22 PM

Joint question - Using turned legs

I'm planning a sofa/hall type table using turned legs. It will have a
lower shelf. The legs I will be buying have a squared section in the
profile for the lower shelf to attach to.

How do I attach the shelf to the leg? Do I notch a section out of the
leg for the shelf? Do I notch a section out of the shelf for the leg?
And would I use dowels in either case.

If anybody knows where I can get of a sofa table plan with turned
legs, please let me know.

Thanks

Woodman October 25th 03 01:38 PM

Joint question - Using turned legs

I'm planning a sofa/hall type table using turned legs. It will have a
lower shelf. The legs I will be buying have a squared section in the
profile for the lower shelf to attach to.

How do I attach the shelf to the leg? Do I notch a section out of the
leg for the shelf? Do I notch a section out of the shelf for the leg?
And would I use dowels in either case.

If anybody knows where I can get of a sofa table plan with turned
legs, please let me know.

Thanks

Well, there are no real hard and fast rules. Which way do you prefer?
Either would work well. If you are cutting chunks out of the leg, a strong
glue would probably suffice.
Dowels/Biscuits (or other fasteners of choice) could be used for the other
method since you are not providing a 'base' for the shelf to sit upon/within
etc.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski