Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Hi Boys and Girls I'm Back

Well, after a three year stint at trying to get a house built (Actual
build time 1 1/2 years and a contractor that couldn't finish the job).
A crashed computer with my restore disks stored somewhere in one of
two storage sheds. And no time anyway because I had to finish what a
crook contractor couldn't do at the price he said he could do it at. I
won't even go into how may underhanded low down drug taking people
I've met in the construction business. But, it's done to the point we
can live in it. Some cabinets & molding work still needs to be done.
But, Thanksgiving (of which we are very) and Christmas will be a real
celebration for us this year.

Some may remember me, some don't. But on Usenet nobody cares anyway.
I've been around since the internet was young. Before Al Gore claimed
there was one. I was here when El Guapo was the talk of the town. I
was here when JOAT was a 14 year old grummpy old man fresh on line
with WebTv. How ya doing JOAT man? Tom Watson are you still telling
your stories? I was here during the spammer attacks. But, it's good to
see many of you are still here. I have come back home.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Roy Neudecker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 7:53 am, ROYNEU wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

Some may remember me, some don't. But on Usenet nobody cares anyway.

I don't remember you, but I really, really care.....ohwhatthehell.....
*hugs*.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:53:39 -0800 (PST), ROYNEU
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back. I don't have first-hand experience, but I know you can
speed construction work by buying all the materials and paying the
labor when the work is completed to your satisfaction. If one
contractor refuses, there's always another that is willing.

Happy Turkey Day!
Posted to rec.woodworking

ROYNEU wrote:

.... snip

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Roy Neudecker

Welcome back; sounds like a tough 3 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ROYNEU wrote:

Some may remember me, some don't.

Roy, baby...howzit??

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Thanks, you too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

While you were gone

Dubya took out The Cabal.

Fundamentalist Insurgent Woodworkers are opposing
the installed replacements to The Cabal

Shellac prices have, as you know, sky rocketed.

Wood is now being sold in BM (board meters) and prices
are now quoted in Euros.

Canadians are buying up cheap American products
now that the exchange rate has tilted so far in
their favor. Their snapping up "cheap" Lie Nielsen
planes by the dozens. They're also taking tool
hunting vacations to US flea markets hoping to
pick up Stanley planes and chisels for a song.

O'Deen is looking into getting dual citizenship
and going through his change jar looking for
Canadian coins.

Rumor has it that Lee Valley and Veritas are re-
evaluating their business plan.

Purchasing a Festool tool now requires a credit
check to qualify for 36 month loans.

Oh - and the price of a barrel of oil has gone
from $60 to pushing $100 (US) - that's
$70 (Can) to $45 (Can).

Katrina and Iraq needed all the plywood being
manufactured - in the world - so ply prices
went through the roof. Thankfully most of
us don't use much copper in our woodworking
projects because copper prices went vertical
too. Nobody is even thinking of rewiring their
shops. The folks worried about Static Discharge
in their dust collection system ducts are now
using silver wire since it's now cheaper than
copper wire.

Tom Plamann has gone Pro - and built a HUGE
phreakin' shop and finally got to make the
"groined dome ceiling" he's been wanting to do
for years.

http://www.plamann.com/groinedceilingforoffice.html

We got nailed by a pet owner whose dog ate
something like anitfreeze. posted a question
here and all hell broke out for months.

Bennett and Strickland got into it about precision
and accuracy.

And that's about it. Sort of like soap operas.
Watch two days worth after missing a few
years and you're all caught up.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
While you were gone
snip

We got nailed by a pet owner whose dog ate
something like anitfreeze. posted a question
here and all hell broke out for months.

snip

charlie b

Hey, I missed the dog story. Must have been while my N-Filter was
set on "stun".
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Those are my principles. If you don't
like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 8:43 pm, charlieb wrote:
While you were gone

Dubya took out The Cabal.

Canadians are buying up cheap American products
now that the exchange rate has tilted so far in
their favor. Their snapping up "cheap" Lie Nielsen
planes by the dozens. They're also taking tool
hunting vacations to US flea markets hoping to
pick up Stanley planes and chisels for a song.

O'Deen is looking into getting dual citizenship
and going through his change jar looking for
Canadian coins.

charlie b

Oh, Charlie I thought W was the head of the Cabal. See here all along
I thought his strained speaking style was carring secret messages to
the membership.

So does this mean we are officially a 3rd world Country? If we are
maybe we can start sending all the work back to the people who live
here.

Is O'Dean still selling shellac? Has he gotten filthy rich since the
prices have gone up?

Roy

Thanks Charlie I needed that!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 7:53 am, ROYNEU wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

Some may remember me, some don't. But on Usenet nobody cares anyway.

I don't remember you, but I really, really care.....ohwhatthehell.....
*hugs*.

Yeuch... geeze - don't do that stuff in public. At least go out in the
shed...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Roy

Can't say as I recall your name (not that that means anything) but I
remember all of the events that you have described.
Welcome back!
I can sympathize about certain contractors. My wife and I did all the
internal construction on our own house after we got some very frightning
quotes (many included above board and below board prices). It took us 2
years from start to finish (house only no landscaping) including the
birth of our first child. But at the end we were both exhausted from 12
to 16 hour days seven days a week as we both had full time jobs.
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?
Just unloaded my latest purchase, a decent table saw, posted a pic of it
in the truck on A.B.P.W. under "The Beast".

George Anderson
Montreal Canada

Clear skies and good health

ROYNEU wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 9:00 pm, George Anderson wrote:
Hi Roy

Welcome back!
I can sympathize about certain contractors. My wife and I did all the
internal construction on our own house after we got some very frightning
quotes (many included above board and below board prices). It took us 2
years from start to finish (house only no landscaping) including the
birth of our first child. But at the end we were both exhausted from 12
to 16 hour days seven days a week as we both had full time jobs.
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?

George Anderson
Montreal Canada

Clear skies and good health

-

Hi George,

Thank you for the welcome back from you and everybody.

Sorry to read that about the hours spend working a job and on the
house. That is where I was at. I've taken a few weekends off and I
feel like a new man.

I do remember Spokeshave.He was certainly a good read. I know in the
Spam wars a lot of guys got tired of the constant bombardment of
garbage. Some change their screen names to avoid the attacks. I am
happy to see it has calmed down.

I work for a Canadian company. Maybe you know the name. QuebecorWorld,
Inc.?
Posted to rec.woodworking

George Anderson wrote:

Hi Roy

.... snip
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?

Also, there was a truck driver, Silvan, who delivered mill furniture;
haven't seen him around in a long time.

Last listing in google.news for spokeshave is May 1999, doesn't seem like
it's been that long ago, I wonder if he had no-archive set after that

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:08:49 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

George Anderson wrote:

Hi Roy

... snip
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?

Also, there was a truck driver, Silvan, who delivered mill furniture;
haven't seen him around in a long time.

I miss him!

He posted as late as '04.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:08:49 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

George Anderson wrote:

Hi Roy

... snip
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?

Also, there was a truck driver, Silvan, who delivered mill furniture;
haven't seen him around in a long time.

I miss him!

He posted as late as '04.

I seem to recall that his wife had some serious health problems and he
decided to spend more family time and less on the rec. Anybody remember
the joke featuring "wimminz"??
onward,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ROYNEU" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 9:00 pm, George Anderson wrote:
Hi Roy

Welcome back!
I can sympathize about certain contractors. My wife and I did all the
internal construction on our own house after we got some very frightning
quotes (many included above board and below board prices). It took us 2
years from start to finish (house only no landscaping) including the
birth of our first child. But at the end we were both exhausted from 12
to 16 hour days seven days a week as we both had full time jobs.
Ever wonder where Spokeshave went?

George Anderson
Montreal Canada

Clear skies and good health

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully
(RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

The "Duke" stays over in a forum that he helped create.

http://www.owwm.org

I don't believe he has been back here in a few years now.

I also miss a number of the old timers myself.

Tom Bunetta wrote:

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully
(RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 11:55 pm, "Tom Bunetta" wrote:
"ROYNEU" wrote in message

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully
(RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper.
Tom- Hide quoted text -

Tom,

Help me remember was Paully the gent from Down Under (Australia). The
Jara King. He was the inventor of the term "Piney Wood" wasn't he? Has
he trully died? Or, just gone?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Duke of URLS became UnisawA100 - AKA Keith Bohn - who has gone on to
the Old Tools Forum.

Walt Akers has no current website.

Paddy O'Deen sold out to a schlep and is no longer in the shellacky
bidness.

Sylvan was driving a truck and then had a epiphany and no longer
posts.

JOAT had to go through some transmogryfing - but he is still the same
old JOAT - if you want his email address - ping me on the back side -
and I still won't give it to you - because he said that he would swoop
up out of the Carolinas and kill me.

I don't post stories anymore because the people who are left are too
dumb to appreciate them.

I'm happy to see you back but you are coming back to a group that is
not what it was.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote in
:

*snip*

I don't post stories anymore because the people who are left are too
dumb to appreciate them.

I'm happy to see you back but you are coming back to a group that is
not what it was.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Tom,

I printed off the "Ode to a Corded Drill" a few weeks ago and shared it
with the family. We had a project where the cordless drills just
couldn't keep up and had to get a corded one instead.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting it when you did.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ROYNEU" wrote in message

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully
(RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper.
Tom- Hide quoted text -

Tom,

Help me remember was Paully the gent from Down Under (Australia). The
Jara King. He was the inventor of the term "Piney Wood" wasn't he? Has
he trully died? Or, just gone?

No. The Aussie gent is Phully who lives in western Australia and makes
fine (really fine) furniture for a living. Some of his Jarra stuff will
take your breath away.

I'm not sure where "piney wood" came from although Phully and Jim
McNamara (Jummy) had a long standing dialog. Jummy is a musician who
makes rather nice stuff from pine when he doesn't have a gig. Hence
pine became Jummywood. As an afterthought, I added the term Western or
Pacific Jummywood (doug fir) since that is what you buy at the borgs
here in lala land.

You might want to google Phully. He does have a website.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

snip

I don't post stories anymore because the people who are left are too
dumb to appreciate them.

HEY!!!!!!!

I'm happy to see you back but you are coming back to a group that is
not what it was.

People die, folks move away. But if a few old farts hang around
to lend a helping hand or to provide some tips or tricks to the
new neighbors and set an example of what a good neighbor is, the
benefits of a having and being good neighbors is apparent. Then
folks buy into the idea - and begin acting like good neighbors.

Now I don't know if you in fact are an old fart - but I do know
you're
a pretty good neighbor - and a great story teller. Hope you stick
around, and by example, show some newbie how to be a good
neighbor and a contributing member of the community.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nicely worded Charlie..

Now if more folks felt that way...

People die, folks move away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 11:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Help me remember was Paully the gent from Down Under (Australia). The
Jara King. He was the inventor of the term "Piney Wood" wasn't he? Has
he trully died? Or, just gone?

No. The Aussie gent is Phully who lives in western Australia and makes
fine (really fine) furniture for a living. Some of his Jarra stuff will
take your breath away.

I'm not sure where "piney wood" came from although Phully and Jim
McNamara (Jummy) had a long standing dialog. Jummy is a musician who
makes rather nice stuff from pine when he doesn't have a gig. Hence
pine became Jummywood. As an afterthought, I added the term Western or
Pacific Jummywood (doug fir) since that is what you buy at the borgs
here in lala land.

You might want to google Phully. He does have a website.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Thanks, John. Good to see your still here, too.

Yes, Phully.I believe I remember the story was that Jim had gone to
Australia and visted Phully. I believe bought some of his stuff. When
he got back Phully was playing with Jim about using that old piney
wood. I can't remember when the Jummywood began. It might have been
right around that same time. It's not all that important as to where
it came from but I really liked the play on words between the two of
them.

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 1:50 am, charlieb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:

snip

[...]

You're right Charlie. Tom's stories made a difference in our lives.
Besides Tom a true artist doesn't care how many understand their art.
They only care if they have had some effect on them. If you get in the
mood I for one will be checking it out.

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul was the teacher of shellac (and finishing in general) before O'Deen
went into the business, He and David hosted Spokeshave in Florida for a
spokeshave making class...
He also told the tale of making his workbench from bowling alley wood he,
David and I went down to haul away (main reason I didn't bother with mine).
Paul also presented me with my very own Klown Hammer, a most prized
possession.
I met the Duke around the same time, at Paul's funeral after (as a joke)
sending a piece of cherry VIA UPS to him as he was enamoured (very
publically) with it ( and rightly so).
Tom

"ROYNEU" wrote in message

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully
(RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper.
Tom- Hide quoted text -

Tom,

Help me remember was Paully the gent from Down Under (Australia). The
Jara King. He was the inventor of the term "Piney Wood" wasn't he? Has
he trully died? Or, just gone?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:53:39 -0800 (PST), ROYNEU
snippage
I don't post stories anymore because the people who are left are too
dumb to appreciate them.

I'm happy to see you back but you are coming back to a group that is
not what it was.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom,
Yeah there are some dumb ones, and some of "us ol' farts lurk more now, or
like me went into a hiatus.
But your tales are legend, always entertaining and better than "It pays to
increase your wordpower" in Reader's Digest as a vocabulary builder.
You have far more raw talent than many here, and in multiple diciplines.
Please don't hold out on the Rec...
You and others might actually help jump start it again.
I wish the server crash hadn't occurred where all the USENET posts were
lost. I'd love to "go back in time to re and re-re read so many of them.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 7:43 am, "Tom Bunetta" wrote:
Paul was the teacher of shellac (and finishing in general) before O'Deen
went into the business, He and David hosted Spokeshave in Florida for a
spokeshave making class...
He also told the tale of making his workbench from bowling alley wood he,
David and I went down to haul away (main reason I didn't bother with mine).
Paul also presented me with my very own Klown Hammer, a most prized
possession.
I met the Duke around the same time, at Paul's funeral after (as a joke)
sending a piece of cherry VIA UPS to him as he was enamoured (very
publically) with it ( and rightly so).
Tom

Well, I don't remember the piece of cherry. But do remember well the
Klown Hammer presentation and the bowling alley wood. It seems to me
you were very supprised with how many fasteners it had in it. I am
still having trouble placing Paul though. Although I seem to remember
Spokeshave going to Florida. I guess my memory is being selective.

Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW - O'Deen turned over the shellac thing to someone in Ohio.
don't know if it's still the same people, but Shellac.net is still
around - with the same selection of shellacs plus some shellac
related stuff. I've run out of dewaxed garnet and almost out
of Platina. Guess it's time to order some more - hopefully
packaged in stronger baggies. I LOVE shellac - the grinding,
mixing, stirring - WAITING - shaking and swirling the mason jar
and then discovering the lid isn't on quite tight enough, ...
And when the wait is almost over, almost because I always
want to use it before it's really completely ready. Then the
Shellac Miracle as the first - and the next ten coats - take
the wood from "interesting" to "WOW!"

ANYWAY, you can still get shellac flakes from in case you're
going through shellac withdrawl and the In The Can stuff just
ain't good enough.

http://www.shellac.net

charlie b