DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop Fox Mortising machine (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/22019-shop-fox-mortising-machine.html)

Tom October 13th 03 11:05 PM

Shop Fox Mortising machine

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with the Shop Fox mortising
machine. There was a thread about a year ago and I wanted to hear
from someone who owns and uses it. It seems to offer more for the
buck than Delta and Jet. Thanks.

Skippy October 14th 03 02:14 AM

Shop Fox Mortising machine

On the same thread, what do people think is the best mortising machine? I
am leaning towards the Delta because they swivel 180 degrees away from the
base so that I can put mortises into any thickness wood..

stacey

om...

Edwin Pawlowski October 14th 03 04:09 AM

Shop Fox Mortising machine

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with the Shop Fox mortising
machine. There was a thread about a year ago and I wanted to hear
from someone who owns and uses it. It seems to offer more for the
buck than Delta and Jet. Thanks.

Workbench Magazine recently tested mortising machines. Delta was the top
rated, Jet was the best under $200. They did not test the Shop Fox though.

They did mention that the 3450 rpm is not an advantage (can cause burning of
the wood) as is higher horsepower. They tested a 1 hp that did not perform
as well as the 1/2 hp Delta. That said, the Shop Fox has greater capacity;
a big plus if you do big projects. It also has about 40 pounds more weight
if that is a benefit.

The Shopfox can be had for about $50 less with one bit, the Delta has four.
This brings up another question. The Shop Fox can handle a 3/4" bit. If
you want a 3/4" mortise, do you make two passes with a 3/8"?
Ed

Leon October 14th 03 06:14 AM

Shop Fox Mortising machine

Regardless of which model you get, be sure to sharpen and or hone the
chisels. They will cut much better after you do.
om...