Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table & lift mechanism

I think its time for me to build a new router table. I've seen a
variety of plans over the years and a Google search results in lots of
info. In this group, Norm's design keeps surfacing and I'm wondering
if that's the best design for a general purpose router table.

Second, what about the lift mechanism and insert. There are many
priced from $150 or so to $3-400 with digital readouts, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I think its time for me to build a new router table. I've seen a
variety of plans over the years and a Google search results in lots of
info. In this group, Norm's design keeps surfacing and I'm wondering
if that's the best design for a general purpose router table.

Second, what about the lift mechanism and insert. There are many
priced from $150 or so to $3-400 with digital readouts, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pick the router table design that interests you the most.

Router lifts, IMHO old school and not a very efficient way to spend your
money. For the same money or less you can typically buy a new router with
the lift feature built in, then you have an extra router instead of an extra
lift.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ron ron is offline

I built Norm's original router table about five years ago. It has served me
well. Plenty of storage, which I find a great asset in my dinky little shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:56:40 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

Some years ago I went with a Mast-R-Lift and and 3-1/2 horse Porter
Cable--if I was building the same table now I'd have gone with a
different router and no separate lift, but I'd have to research the
current market to say which router I'd go with.

Porter-Cable, Freud, and Triton all make 2-1/4 and up plunge routers with
above the table lift capabilities. All have gotten good reviews.

I'm sure the 3 makers above are not an all-inclusive list. They're just
the ones that came to mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
I think its time for me to build a new router table. I've seen a
variety of plans over the years and a Google search results in lots of
info. In this group, Norm's design keeps surfacing and I'm wondering
if that's the best design for a general purpose router table.

Second, what about the lift mechanism and insert. There are many
priced from $150 or so to $3-400 with digital readouts, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Get a Milwaukee router like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/yo4mca

The "T" handle operates thru a hole in the base plate. I'm really pleased
with mine.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here are my thoughts:
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:38:03 -0500, alexy wrote:

Drill a hole in a piece of plywood, attach your router on the
underside, and rest the plywood on a frame that has crossmembers close
to the router to keep the ply from sagging. Clamp another piece of
plywood or mdf to this as a fence. The result will be serviceable for
90% (at least) of your router table needs. It will NOT be ideal, but
it will give you good results while you inform yourself on what YOU
want in a router table. (You are the one that will be using, it right,
not anyone on the wreck?)

Damn... you saw my router table!

Someone gave me one of those POS plastic router tables about 20 years ago.. the
only good thing about it was the clamping pieces on the bottom of the table, so
that's what holds my router under the hole in a 3/4" particle board table with
the same fence you use..

I actually bought the Lee Valley insert set a few months ago and might even use
it someday to build a better table..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Thanks Max! The Milwaukee router you provided a link to seems like a
great one! I added it to my "wish list".

-Bill

You're more than welcome.
Here are a couple pictures of the T handle set-up.

http://flickr.com/photos/18036559@N04/

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Pick up the Dec 2007 issue of woodworker's journal. They review nine
different lifts. For what it's worth, their "best bet" was the Mast-R-
Lift.

Mitch