Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spice Rack Woes, Mini French Cleat System??

I have to build and install two matching spice racks into a small kitchen.
I have my plans. The wood is available. It is an easy build that can be
done in a day.

The problem is that they must be installed onto half inch plywood with no
visible fasteners. The weight is no problem, spices are not heavy. I need
to get appproval of how I hang the spice racks before I can build them.
Nothing can poke through the back, which is visble.

I have suggested hanging them like a picture frame with wire. No. I
suggested drilling holes that can be plugged. No. I suggested keyhole
router slots in the back. This was also rejected.

This is a family friend, so I am putting up with far more than usual. I was
thinking of a some kind of mini french cleat system would work.

But all the french cleat systems I have seen were for full sized, heavy
cabinets. Are there any mini systems out there? Is there any kind other
material/hardware that could be used or modified to serve this purpose?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am anxious to get
this done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spice Rack Woes Addendum

I should add, that these are far larger than conventional spice racks. They
hold the large, commercial size spices, like the ones used in resturants.

The spices are still not that heavy. But the rack is definitely bigger (and
a bit heavier) than regular spice racks.

That is why I want to make sure that they are securely fastened to the half
inch plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..
I should add, that these are far larger than conventional spice racks.
They hold the large, commercial size spices, like the ones used in
resturants.

The spices are still not that heavy. But the rack is definitely bigger
(and a bit heavier) than regular spice racks.

That is why I want to make sure that they are securely fastened to the
half inch plywood.

Why not just use a sliding dovetail arrangement? If you've depth in the
back or can get some by adding a molding to cover, it works as well or
better than a French cleat, because it's less prone to dismount if bumped
from below.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 04:09:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

But all the french cleat systems I have seen were for full sized, heavy
cabinets. Are there any mini systems out there? Is there any kind other
material/hardware that could be used or modified to serve this purpose?

I might simply make my own small French cleat.

A photo of another option is he
http://www.rufkahrs.com/shelbe/fasten.html

Scroll down to K-418Z. My local hardware stores carry them, and I'm
used them on several mirrors. These hangers take a bit of care to
install, but they're rock solid.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

This is a family friend, so I am putting up with far more than usual. I
was thinking of a some kind of mini french cleat system would work.

But all the french cleat systems I have seen were for full sized, heavy
cabinets. Are there any mini systems out there? Is there any kind other
material/hardware that could be used or modified to serve this purpose?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am anxious to
get this done.

Take the smart way out. Remind the user that spices and herbs will lose
their potency and be useless much quicker when exposed to light. Suggest
they be put away in a cabinet or drawer. No serious cook has them on open
display.

Now use that wood for something useful like a gun rack or DVD shelf. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

thinking of a some kind of mini french cleat system would work.

But all the french cleat systems I have seen were for full sized, heavy
cabinets. Are there any mini systems out there? Is there any kind other
material/hardware that could be used or modified to serve this purpose?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am anxious to

get
this done.

Scroll down and take a look at how I used 'French cleats' to make these
spice racks adjustable and you might get some ideas for your dilemma.

Instead of using a frame as pictured, there is no reason why you can't
attach the back half of the French cleat directly to the plywood with
brads/glue.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm

I've got some of the racks left over ... for a small price.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 04:17:10 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I should add, that these are far larger than conventional spice racks. They
hold the large, commercial size spices, like the ones used in resturants.

The spices are still not that heavy. But the rack is definitely bigger (and
a bit heavier) than regular spice racks.

That is why I want to make sure that they are securely fastened to the half
inch plywood.

Velcro... they're going to move them as soon as the UV screws up the spices, so
ya might as well make it easy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
That is why I want to make sure that they are securely fastened to the half
inch plywood.

Velcro... they're going to move them as soon as the UV screws up the spices, so
ya might as well make it easy..

Yes, spices should never be stored where light hits them. Inside a
cupboard is best. I'm designing some pull out spice racks for my
kitchen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 19:09:07 -0000, yugami
wrote:

Yes, spices should never be stored where light hits them.

Isn't that why so many are stored in lightproof containers?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in
:

wrote:

Yes, spices should never be stored where light hits them.

Isn't that why so many are stored in lightproof containers?

Sorry, I couldn't hear your tone of voice. Was that sarcasm? (Most
spices & herbs & the like I've paid any attention to are sold in clear-
ish containers so you can see them.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:.

The problem is that they must be installed onto half inch plywood

with no
visible fasteners.

EPOXY.

A French cleat, some epoxy, it's time for a beer.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 5, 7:49 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote:.
The problem is that they must be installed onto half inch plywood

with no
visible fasteners.

EPOXY.

A French cleat, some epoxy, it's time for a beer.

Lew

i made some french cleats out of 1/4" clear plexiglass to hang glass
objects on the wall where i didn't want to see them.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

How to attach spice rack to hollow core door? [email protected] Woodworking 15 January 17th 06 07:39 PM
metal french cleat fastener arw01 Woodworking 3 January 9th 06 10:49 PM
Lumber Rack Storage System shooter Woodworking 27 July 14th 05 07:24 PM
FRENCH CLEAT J T Woodworking 1 November 28th 04 12:36 PM
Gravity fed Central Heating System Woes Kev Parkin UK diy 4 October 22nd 03 11:23 AM