DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mitre saw blade question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/219764-mitre-saw-blade-question.html)

Colin B. November 2nd 07 10:50 PM

Mitre saw blade question

Well, my old compound mitre saw (NOT sliding) is looking to get fitted with
a new blade. I was looking at the few out there with negative rake angle
tips, and was wondering how significant that would be on a saw that doesn't
slide. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Colin

The Davenport's November 2nd 07 11:19 PM

Mitre saw blade question

Well, my old compound mitre saw (NOT sliding) is looking to get fitted
with
a new blade. I was looking at the few out there with negative rake angle
tips, and was wondering how significant that would be on a saw that
doesn't
slide. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Colin

All other things being equal, go with the negative rake...won't cut as fast,
but you will end up with, in general, a MUCH better finish.

The drawbacks are that you will end up cutting slower and you will need more
power...however, unless it is an old and tired miter saw, it should still be
able to handle it.

Mike

Jay Pique November 3rd 07 12:01 AM

Mitre saw blade question

On Nov 2, 7:19 pm, "The Davenport's" wrote:
Well, my old compound mitre saw (NOT sliding) is looking to get fitted
with
a new blade. I was looking at the few out there with negative rake angle
tips, and was wondering how significant that would be on a saw that
doesn't
slide. Any opinions?

I have an old miter saw that I thought was worn out. Cuts were
generally lousy. Then I put a Forrest Chopmaster on it and realized
it was just the blade. Buy yourself a top quality blade and you won't
be disappointed.

JP

HappyGilmore November 3rd 07 07:52 AM

Mitre saw blade question

"Colin B." wrote in message
Well, my old compound mitre saw (NOT sliding) is looking to get fitted
with
a new blade. I was looking at the few out there with negative rake angle
tips, and was wondering how significant that would be on a saw that
doesn't
slide. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Colin

Negative rake is probably what you want on a miter saw blade!
I just finished a review on the Infinity Miter Max blade:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...nityblades.htm

I can recommend that particular one (it has negative rake) and produces
ultra smooth edges.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 170+ woodworking product reviews online!

beecrofter[_2_] November 3rd 07 01:35 PM

Mitre saw blade question

On Nov 2, 6:50 pm, "Colin B."
wrote:
Well, my old compound mitre saw (NOT sliding) is looking to get fitted with
a new blade. I was looking at the few out there with negative rake angle
tips, and was wondering how significant that would be on a saw that doesn't
slide. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Colin

0 deg to negative is best in any saw that moves through the work, -
chop,miter ,radial arm- or do not exceed +5deg. For applications
where work moves through the saw- tablesaws + hook reccomended.
Also on miter saws forget thin kerf as the plate deflects and accuracy
suffers.

Daily Grind Sharpening Service