DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "facings" question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/21910-%22facings%22-question.html)

C Carruth October 11th 03 04:53 AM

"facings" question

If this is a repeat post, sorry...my service went down and I am not sure the
original made...

I am making the base for a workbench, and am using douglas fur 4x4x8 posts
for the legs. (Stringers will be dimensioned red oak. Carcass will be 2/3"
red oak plywood.) However, even with the fur F4S, it is a stark contrast to
the red oak. My plan is to rip some thin oak veneers for facings from
existing inventory, use a benchtop planer to get it down to 1/4", and glue
them on the fur posts. I will use a roundover bit on the facings for
appearance sakes. To use the planer, I will need to use a sled.

Q: Has anyone actually used a sled to plan thin strips like this? Do the
strips slide around? Do I need to use some carpet tape to secure them to the
sled? Can I simply use 3/4' cabinet plywood for the sled? Etc, etc, etc..

Please respond ASAP as I would like to try this tomorrow..

Swingman October 11th 03 02:01 PM

"facings" question

It's "fir", not "fur" and your planer should plane down to 1/4" thickness
without a sled. If not, get another planer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03